PDA

View Full Version : American Protectionism

Ranger One
12th Apr 2004, 19:36
Only tangentially related to aviation, but it still made me sit up and say 'what??!!'

A CNN story about the introduction of a new high-speed catamaran car ferry on Lake Ontario mentioned that, whilst common overseas, such ferries were rare in the USA, and went on to explain why:

"One big reason for their near-absence here: Federal law requires passenger ships operating between domestic ports be built in the United States. Fast-ferry innovations have only migrated in recent years to U.S. shipyards, some of which have partnered with leading Australian designers."

Say what??

Can you imagine what our world would look like if the same rule was enforced in aviation? i.e. only American-buit planes were allowed to fly US domestic routes, by law... with presumably reciprocal restrictions from Europe...

Well it made me think anyway... shove it off to the non air transport forum if you like

R1

Send Clowns
12th Apr 2004, 20:58
A boat designed by some people I know was built in the US for their market, which is OK for the military market, but even the design (which was an independent innovation by the company, not a tender for a contract) had to be nominally from a US firm, who sub-contracted the UK company for work that included the basic design that was already extant!

Ludo
12th Apr 2004, 22:31
And you are surprised, after they had the gall to deprive themselves of foie gras, one of the world's wonders, purely as a retaliation??? Barbarians!

U.S. doesn't deserve foie gras
Le Figaro
Saturday, March 6, 2004

Americans no longer want our foie gras, supposedly on sanitary grounds. There's no cause for alarm. Our exports there are one percent of our production, or 123 metric tons yearly. Despite not having a highly developed civic sense, it seems that we can absorb this loss without difficulty: After all, it only amounts to two extra grams per Frenchman. Anyway, Americans don't know how to enjoy foie gras. For starters, they call it "pâté," perfectly illustrating their ignorance. Next, they eat it without discussing it. Certainly, foie gras is a taste but it is first a conversation. The quarrel over that derived from the goose and that which comes from the duck has fortunately abated, but there remain numerous other issues of contention: the cooking time, the bread to serve it with, the wine to drink. A simple question can lead to lifelong disputes: Is it improved by adding other flavors such as the truffle?.... Poor America knows nothing of these scholastic quarrels. It doesn't deserve our "foie."