PDA

View Full Version : Female pilots ban at RYR!!!!!!!!!!

trainer too 2
12th Apr 2004, 12:58
With the flight deck door closed all the time I start to miss talking to the CC.. In other airlines I hear a lot of ladies on the radio but on company aircraft I don't see any..:(

Started talking about this and understand that MOL himself ordered a female Cockpit crew member out of the cockpit donkies years ago. On asking further I learned from some of the SAS graduates that some of their female prospect pilots where turned down even before the interview by RYR on unofficial instructions from RYR!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Any more info on this as this is pure discrimination and also makes time in the office less fun :8

Engineer
12th Apr 2004, 13:24
Good policy keep them bare footed and by the kitchen sink:D

Onan the Clumsy
12th Apr 2004, 13:38
Is that the sound of one knuckle dragging on the floor? :p

Timothy
12th Apr 2004, 13:58
...or as my public school son came home with:

"Why did the woman cross the road?"

"That's not the point, what was she doing out of the kitchen?"

sixmilehighclub
12th Apr 2004, 13:59
Engineer & Timothy- Thank heavens for men like you!!

Without you and your clearly intellectual refreshingly unoriginal comments, we'd never have discovered that MAN evolved from ar$e scratching apes. What a marvel you are!

So on behalf of all the women out there being knocked back from jobs because they don't have balls to scratch and talk golf, we thankyou for making us feel respected.

:*

Trainer -

The UK has laws on sex discrimination.

The problem is, providing the employer can give reasonable excuses for why they havent taken on a particular female, ie lack of rating, qualifications, etc.... there is sod all that can be done about it (is that Timothy and Engineer I hear whooping with joy????).

The only way a company can discriminate against a particular gender is if it is for a GOQ (genuine occupational qualification), for example a lingerie department can specify female employees only as it would not be fitting (no pun intended) for men to do the breast measuring for bras. As much as the likes of Engineer would like to lay down his spanner and spoon and go grab an application form from debenhams.

To pursue unfairness in recruitment & selection, you would have to be able to find male applicants who have been accepted for interview who have a like for like CV to the female, to prove there has been discrimination.

Once in a company however, there are further laws which should avoid being treated less fairly as an individual due to gender, race, marital status, etc. DTI website is a great place to start, or the Employment Tribunals website.

Speaking from experience though, sometimes its not worth pursuing. What goes around.....

:E

Kinetic
12th Apr 2004, 14:13
just heard last week at a presenatation, Mr Dooney the HR manager dispell a few myths concerning FR, and this was one of main ones that FR don't employ females. Their are apparently quite a few.

But hey.......this is the forum for rumours, and educated guesses

A300Man
12th Apr 2004, 14:15
Amazes me that this is even still debated these days, or that narrow minded people like MOL exist in the business. What the hell difference does it make whether an Airbus or Boeing driver is a male or a female?

As a very frequent passenger, I really don't give a $hit about it. Professionals come in all shapes, sizes, creeds and sexes. I don't care if my flight is piloted by man or woman...............

Same, same as we say in the Gulf.

hifive11
12th Apr 2004, 14:17
This is a 'rumour network' therefore the most important question is:

Are there any female pilots with RYR

If yes - end of idiotic discussion

If not - Engineer and Timothy just wait 'till MOL decrees that nobody under 6' or over 6' 1" need apply - Lets hope you are both half sizes

Maybe you haven't anything better to do on a Bank Holiday Monday - sad

What is more, I am sad to have even deigned to reply!!!

AJ
12th Apr 2004, 14:22
Apparently Virgin only hire cabin crew with big boobs...that's also a bit unfair isn't it? :}

Timothy
12th Apr 2004, 14:22
Another one he came back with was:

"How many feminists does it take to change a light-bulb?"

"Just one - and it's not funny! "

Smile and the world smiles with you.

jonathang
12th Apr 2004, 14:34
Are there any female pilots with RYR
If yes - end of idiotic discussion

Answer is YES,

and some quite nice ones at that.

flyhardmo
12th Apr 2004, 14:40
sixmilehighclub

So on behalf of all the women out there being knocked back from jobs because they don't have balls to scratch and talk golf, we thankyou for making us feel respected.

A very liberating comment from a person with a name like sixmilehighclub.....:cool:

speedbird_heavy
12th Apr 2004, 14:48
Answer is YES,

and some quite nice ones at that.

True. The FR882 came in to cardiff not so long ago with an entire female flight deck and cabin crew.

View From The Ground
12th Apr 2004, 14:57
Yes...definately I have flown just 8 times with Ryanair and two of these have had female pilots, in once case the Captain...so what is now the point of this topic!

Hansard
12th Apr 2004, 15:04
I thought Ryanair had been advised by some sort of equal opportunities body that they didn't have enough female pilots.

Although, from what I hear, that's exactly the sort of thing to make MOL say "right - no more wimmin!!"

BEagle
12th Apr 2004, 15:32
In which case, Hansard, he'd have every right to tell that equal opportunist to $od off! Of course the ladies have every right to make a career in aviation but on their own (not inconsiderable, from my experience) merit. NOT as some token gesture to keep the idiot political correctos happy!!

Timothy
12th Apr 2004, 16:19
racist, anti-semiticJust as a matter of interest, why do you single out the Jews as requiring special mention, not being covered by your general racism?

Nearly Man
12th Apr 2004, 17:33
Hmm, well, good job I say .. more jobs for the boys and less for silly girls :}

maxalt
12th Apr 2004, 17:45
Of course there is no 'Ban' on female pilots in Ryanair. As someone else already said, they have a few.
A Few Token Females.

Aer Lingus (the other Irish airline) has around 400 pilots, and by my rough estimate there are at least 60 female pilots of all ranks in that group. Perhaps the feminist lobby would not consider that good enough, but its a start, and at least shows some effort is being made.

Ryanair on the other hand has probably 600 pilots (at least) but the female complement can be counted on one hand.

But surely those of you who accuse MOL of some kind of sexism can see that there is no such reason. You must always remember that this guy is driven by one thing alone.
Money.

Its a fact of life (literally) that women want to have kids. Modern enlightened Labour Laws require employees to be given Maternity Leave on full pay. Aer Lingus usually has several of its female pilots away on Maternity Leave at any given time. Its also a fact of life that when these ladies choose to avail of Maternity Leave they tend to plan their pregnancy to coincide with the busiest time of the year...Peak Summer.
Its nice to be able to 'put the feet up' I'm sure over the long lazy summer months, while the boys have to pick up the slack.

MOL is just being true to his nature by not hiring more females. Their costs are potentially higher than a guy, and we know how Michael loves to cut costs.

You ladies (sixmilehigh etc) have to be honest and admit that you do your own cause no good by blatant manipulation of your biology!

Before the feminazis jump on me...I have no problem with women having babies...or availing of pregnancy leave...you are entitled to both, I'm sure. But your unemployed sisters pay indirectly...as much as your male colleagues do (directly) for your freedoms.

maxy101
12th Apr 2004, 17:48
I guess there is a higher cost to employing female workers generally due to higher average levels of sickness and of course, maternity and child care issues. However, someone has to have the child and then care for them. In our society it is normally the mother. I, for one am glad to be living in a society that does try to give everyone an equal chance.

ExSimGuy
12th Apr 2004, 17:53
Never mind RYR - in RUH they don't even allow wimmen to drive a Ford :D

Having said that, flying SV, I think I'd rather hear "Good afternoon, I'm Sarah (etc), your pilot today", than "This is Capt Abdullah"

(yes, racist, sexist - don't think the above post conveys any other bad traits though!)

Rich Lee
12th Apr 2004, 18:45
Capt Abdullah is a female........

trainer too 2
12th Apr 2004, 19:34
Dear Mr Kinetic:

just heard last week at a presenatation, Mr Dooney the HR manager dispell a few myths concerning FR, and this was one of main ones that FR don't employ females. Their are apparently quite a few.

That is the part I disagree with, have done 890 hours last year and no females in my office... Is it just my deoderant??? :*

The thing is there are some but: what is the percentage and are they hiring any new ones?? Tthe first bit is what Mr D probably refers to: there are females onboard but they don't hire any new female pilots... :yuk:

Oh and mr Kinetic I am pleased that you made it to the interview and presentation stage of the RYR program last week but do you think Mr D is gonna tell you the official position of MOL on females?? Think not :mad:

Better get on board first before having an opinion on this topic :hmm:

Herod
12th Apr 2004, 21:16
I believe a lady First Officer from the old buzz is now a Captain with them, and very well deserved. As for the industry in general, I would suggest that over 90% of the lady pilots are extremely capable, probably a higher percentage than their male counterparts.

clarityinthemurk
12th Apr 2004, 23:06
Rumour has it that the employment contract for new hires at unspecified low cost carriers will include a clause requiring female hires to guarantee a bond of several thousand payable to the airline for each child produced during the contract term....

Jerricho
12th Apr 2004, 23:22
True. The FR882 came in to cardiff not so long ago with an entire female flight deck and cabin crew.

Unmanned flights! Wow..............

grey_not_green
12th Apr 2004, 23:49
Maxalt....
Its nice to be able to 'put the feet up' I'm sure over the long lazy summer months, while the boys have to pick up the slack.

wouldn't exactly call looking after a screaming, pooping, regurgitating child putting one's feet up....
(hang on.... am confused, was I talking about kids or some FOs?)!!

GnG

Jerricho
12th Apr 2004, 23:57
Those kids had better not be in Business Class (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124737) now.......... ;)

maxalt
13th Apr 2004, 00:55
wouldn't exactly call looking after a screaming, pooping, regurgitating child putting one's feet up....

Thats entirely your own choice.
Can't stand the consequences of your own actions?
I think you need to learn to tie a knot in it.

Seeing as it takes 9 months top cook the bun, it must be lovely to know in January that you'll get that Peak Summer Leave you wanted, regardless of all other priorities.

Drop the brat in September, Sim in October, just in time to relax for the slack winter months...and maybe do it all again in January!

Meanwhile I have to put in for Standby Leave and hope for a lucky break. I have a family too you know! Why am I a second class citizen??? Because my other half isn't a pilot? Does that make her or my kids less important than you or your kids?
Are your rights greater than mine?

Not surprised in the least by your comments though. It seems that every female I meet these days wants to:
A) Get married
B) Have Babies
C) Get right back to work and foist them on some underpaid nanny.

Regarding 'fining' females for having babies...you must be joking!
Any such clause in a contract in a western country would be illegal.

grey_not_green
13th Apr 2004, 07:52
Max,

take my last in the toungue in cheek way it was meant to be. I have no intention of dropping sprogs, I have seen the effects that women taking maternity leave, only to decide not to bother to return full time, can have, and personally think it unfair. What's the paternity leave situation in big bad world? One rule for some....

GnG

maxalt
13th Apr 2004, 11:27
I get 6 weeks paternity leave...when they choose.

You get at least 9 months...when you choose.

Ranger One
13th Apr 2004, 12:39
Engineer:

Good policy keep them bare footed and by the kitchen sink

Only bare footed? You mean... you let yours wear clothes? :rolleyes:

<ducks; incoming!>

R1

clarityinthemurk
13th Apr 2004, 14:35
The question of fines doesn't arise. It is just another aspect to the cost minimisation and recovery drive underway. The argument seems to go that pregnant pilots result in additional charges to the customer arising from

- the costs of hiring contract replacement pilots or of having extra staff on the payroll to cover for maternity leave. As has been pointed out, these costs may occur at the usually busy summer period
- any additional sim sessions needed to come back up to speed following extended absence
- administration overhead.

As for the legalities, well it wouldn't be the first time that the low cost operators broke the mould!

ExSimGuy
13th Apr 2004, 14:48
Does this mean that the Lady Aircrew (and maybe Cabin Crew too?) tend to get preggy at Office Christmas parties (or immediately after them) resulting in Summer Maternity Leaves :\ :\ :\

RAT 5
13th Apr 2004, 14:53
Isn't a pregnant cabin crew pilot error?

ExSimGuy
13th Apr 2004, 15:17
I thought we did not accept the concept of PILOT ERROR :uhoh:

Octopussy2
13th Apr 2004, 15:34
Maxalt: "I have a family too you know!"

If your posts here are a true reflection of your personality, I find that amazing.

maxalt
13th Apr 2004, 17:11
Yes, I'm amazing. She tells me that all the time. :p

grey_not_green
13th Apr 2004, 17:58
RAT 5,

What if the pilots are female?????:confused:

Nani
13th Apr 2004, 18:11
Engineer and Timothy.

"That's not the point, what was she doing out of the kitchen?"

You two owe me a new laptop since mouthful of hot coffee is now all over it.
Thanks for the great laugh.:ok:

chiglet
14th Apr 2004, 00:19
RYR female pilot in Manch today.....no comment
as an aside.....quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many years ago, a mate in the RAF had that "quote", with "Pregnant" added.
One fine summer day, I gave him a lift home......"She" was in the kitchen, barefoot and eight months gone :uhoh:
So I turned to him [6 foot, 17 stone] and said...."Hey xxxx, remember what you used to say?"
She [5 foot, 7stone] said "what?"
Quickly he said, "Private joke, my Love"..... He was terrified of her, good thing too :ok:
watp,iktch

trainer too 2
14th Apr 2004, 10:58
- the costs of hiring contract replacement pilots or of having extra staff on the payroll to cover for maternity leave. As has been pointed out, these costs may occur at the usually busy summer period

Isn't that what we invented SOCIAL SECURITY for..... or are is MOL even more backward than the average yank on that... :rolleyes:

SLFguy
14th Apr 2004, 12:18
You guys crack me up... female pilots indeed!

Tooo funny.

gatfield
14th Apr 2004, 13:35
In response to RTO -

"inept blondes securing the best jobs"

As I sure you are aware this does not just occur in aviation. We live in a world where so called physical beauty gives individuals a higher ranking than other qualities.

If men weren't so obsessed with women's bodies and looks then this wouldn't occur as much - men need to take responsibility for this problem - not the women!

I dare say If I was one of these inept blondes I might take advantage of it aswell - but alas I am not blonde and only partially inept . :p

Engineer
14th Apr 2004, 19:17
gatfield

I am not blonde and only partially inept you can use peroxide as for the latter that not so easy to solve since it is an innate quality that comes with the gender.

chiglet

Look like your friend was covering his ar$e maybe he was on a promise for that night and did not want to spoil his pitch.

Flew with a FFO just as we got close to the TOD out came the compact lippy and brush said she liked to look good for the landing. However as it was a freighter she was not much good at peeing into a plastic cup down the back especially when the Capt was kicking in a bit of rudder at the same time :ouch:

gatfield
15th Apr 2004, 14:34
Engineer - hahahaha - gee you're soo funny.

Not