PDA

View Full Version : Curry and Rice

tony draper
10th Aug 2001, 13:32
Interesting snippet on the news yesterday apparently Curry and Rice is the favorite dish of the Japanese, introduced into the land of the rising sun by the British in 1860 or therabouts.
Splendid how our English culture has travelled so far. ;)

DX Wombat
10th Aug 2001, 13:56
YUM! :D :D :D

Tricky Woo
10th Aug 2001, 14:19
Hi All,

Tis true, there is indeed a dish called 'Curree-rye' served at thousands of Mom and Pop restaurants across Japan.

That's where the good news ends.

It's taste is more akin to school dinner mediocrity than Rusholme standards, I'm afraid. If you wish to experience the dish, then skip the trip to Japan, as I have the authentic recipe at hand:

Take a jar of 1970's yellow curry powder, (preferably years beyond it's 'best before' date). Mix a spoonful of said powder with plenty of hot water. Boil it a bit. Boil it some more. Taste to ensure that it's not even remotely spicey. Add more water. Chuck resulting 'curry sauce' upon a bed of white rice. Scoff with pointy chopsticks. Give up on the chopsticks, and finish with a spoon. Vow never to eat anything like it again.

TW

Don D Cake
10th Aug 2001, 14:51
My favourites are Chicken Fatwa and Prawn Jihad ;)

DX Wombat
11th Aug 2001, 07:21
TW - YUK! YUK! YUK! I think I should try exporting some of my home made stuff to them. At least I can cook it properly and I live in the Curry Capital! :eek: :eek: :eek:

PPRuNe Towers
11th Aug 2001, 16:00
Ahh, Rusholme...paradise sorely missed from my exile down south.

Took a VS crew stopping over in MAN to the street of a thousand curry houses. Pints multiple, mega curry at the Shaz, more pints then back to the hotel.

VS flight Engineer announces total expenditure of 12 quid and asks when he can transfer up........

For the more impecunious I can recommend the Toxteth school dinner for two.

First procure an uncut loaf (it is Liverpool after all).

Next sally forth to the nearest chippy (firebombed if menu contains less that 300 dishes) and ask for the school dinner. Loaf is wrenched from your hands, ripped in two, scooped out and filled with your choice of curry and chips or curry and rice.

Messy when you're tanked up but deeply satisfying.

Unwell_Raptor
11th Aug 2001, 18:40
Curry and Rice?

Didn't they write Evita?

Stage 6
12th Aug 2001, 16:08
"Tis true, there is indeed a dish called 'Curree-rye' served at thousands of Mom and Pop restaurants across Japan."

Not from my recollection.
I lived in Japan for a year in the early 90's and didn't come across anything called "Curree-rye".
Curry is fairly popular that's true but mostly served with meat or something else and rice.
eg. "Kare Kutsu" is curried pork cutlets (crumbed) served with rice and is delicious.
I still use a Japanese brand of curry at home in Australia.

Harry Peacock
12th Aug 2001, 16:34
In the words of their lords M. Python...

...You Lucky Lucky Ba&£@%"& !!!!!

You can't get a decent curry down here for love n' money its all poncy far east 'curries'. Not a decent tandori chili tika masala in sight and as for a ring stinger of a vindaloo.... you'd be better off having a razor blade pie with sauce!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tricky Woo
12th Aug 2001, 18:05
Stage 6,

Until someone shows me how to install a Katakana font onto my iMac, my approximate pronunciation will have to stand.

TW

Hagbard the Amateur
12th Aug 2001, 19:10
One of the greatest things I miss about Manchester is Rusholme and even take-away town, Didsbury. The Swiss German idea of spicy is somewhere close to Weetabix and I've never found a decent Indian meal here. My solution: I bought about 4 kilos of various spices from the shops in Rusholme, brought them over and now I make the best curries in Zürich.

Viva Madras!

Tricky Woo
12th Aug 2001, 19:37
Hagbard,

The Swiss have very sensitive mouths, you know. Any time some kindly Swiss waiter tries to warn me that the food is 'hot and spicy', then I usually nod politely, and reach for the extra chillies. This strategy has worked well over the last two years... with one exception:

There's a Thai restaurant just off Langstrasse called the 'Sawasdi' (spelling?) that serves real, hot food. Blows my socks off every time I go there. Great food, spicy as hell AND live Thai strippers. What more could a man want?

If you ever do work out where a chap can get a decent Indian curry in Zurich, then please let me know. I'm suffering from acute withdrawal symptoms.

TW

You splitter
12th Aug 2001, 21:08
Guys, You are so right! Been looking for a curry house out their for a while. Unfortunately I don't get to go into Zurich Centre often. By the time I finish at that bl**dy airport I normally only have the time for a quick beer at the Hotel.
However if you ever come across a good curry shop, I would be more than happy to join you for a second opinion.
By the way if you want spices and stuff from Manchester, that should not be too hard to arrange. Three flights a day and lots of people at Manchester Airport who I'm sure would be more than willing to do the sending! ;)

Hagbard the Amateur
13th Aug 2001, 17:45
Tricky: I've still never been able to find a decent curry house in ZRH. That's why I make my own. For the really desperate, there is an Indian grocery called 'Agar Wal' on Langstrasse next to Helvetiaplatz. They sell all the Pataks curry paste range. (PG Tips too.)

Splitter: Nice offer. I'm sorted for spices but is there any chance of Holland's frozen pies? (Sorry I'm a displaced Northerner.) I suppose the foot n' mouth would preclude that kind of thing at the moment.

Rösti is fine for a while but God I miss the chippy, Indian or otherwise.

Tricky Woo
13th Aug 2001, 18:02
Hagbard,

Good news 'cos I live on Stauffacherstrasse, within 200 metres of the Agar Wal grocery, and far too close to Langstrasse, when my low tolerance for self-discipline is taken into account.

I also think it's unfair bringing Holland's Pies into this. What I would give right now for a steak and kidney pudding.

TW

Velvet
13th Aug 2001, 18:29
Trickster hon; I could cook you one and send it out, but not sure the melt-in-mouth suet pastry would survive the trip. :D

My s&k pies are better, but I can knock up a feather-light suet pastry if asked nicely ;)

We have a really good (Gold Medal) Indian restaurant which does the most marvellous Korma and Balti - sorry, but I don't like hot curries. I'm told their Vindaloo and Dhanzak are fantastic as well though.

[ 13 August 2001: Message edited by: Velvet ]

You splitter
13th Aug 2001, 18:44
Hagbard,

Not sure if they'd still be frozen on arrival! Sorry I'm a southern softie so not come across 'Hollands' pies before. I'll talk to my friends from that part of the world. I'm sure they would agree with you!!

Tricky: Like the sound of this Tai house. Topless waitressing as well? Could be nasty!
:D

Crepello
13th Aug 2001, 18:50
Ah, a subject close to my heart. Having sharpened my 'buds in Birmingham, I moved to Amsterdam, where the best curries come out of a jar with Patak's on the side. The local variant is closely related to Irish Stew, right down to the peas. Niet Lekker.

This thread triggered a distant memory about two brothers who kitted out an elderly 737 as a mobile tandoori and did a roaring trade in the Middle East, among other places. Can't remember many details.

To combat the Monday blues, I'm developing CurryAir, a low cost carrier with a novel USP. Seats are priced according to palate; bargain Vindaloos at the back, premium Kormas at the front, but you pay a surcharge if you can't finish your allocated nosh. Hey - I'll call it the All Day Delhi.... ;)

Anyone want to further the concept?

Tricky Woo
13th Aug 2001, 18:59
Mr Splitter,

I'm ashamed to say that the waitresses at the Sawasdi remain fully clothed... until it's their turn to get their kit off, of course. Hah! It's a most bizarre restaurant, I must say, although it's much more agreeable than it sounds on the surface. The food is authentically Thai, as are the strippers. Unfortunately, the prices are firmly Swiss.

The only thing is that the amateurishness of the waitresses/strippers is sometimes laughably palpable. I can now say that I've seen shy Thai strippers perform. Not many people can say that, huh?

Ahh, Langstrasse... where would I be without you?

TW

LatviaCalling
13th Aug 2001, 23:47
You people make my mouth water. We've got great strippers here, but the restaurants kind of leave you cold. Chinese -- sweet and sour pork with potatoes. Another Chinese -- hot saurkraut (serving with one drop of Tabasco). Vietnamese -- carp al dente -- recently closed because of food poisoning.

Eric
14th Aug 2001, 12:13
My favourite curry's chicken tarka massala.

It's a bit like chicken tikka, but a little 'otter! :D

Cardinal Puff
14th Aug 2001, 14:19
Chicken masala and garlic naan bread on the balcony of the Lake Vic in Entebbe. Few Nile Specials and Bell's to chase it down while watching the young blonde tourists cavort in the pool...... "Sob", I miss those days.

swashplate
14th Aug 2001, 16:16
Hagbard:

If you can get to Wolverton (Bucks, Nr Milton Keynes), there's a chippy just down the Stony Stratford road from Tescos, that does Hollands Meat & Tater pies!!!!

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=481538&Y=241145&A=Y&Z=1

PUKAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nearest airport is Luton

[ 14 August 2001: Message edited by: swashplate ]

VnV2178B
14th Aug 2001, 19:41
Good Grief, Swash

are they STILL there ?? I lived just outside Stoney before 'they' built Milton Keynes all over it. Went to Wolverton College too!

Pie & Chips was the lunch to have, anything being better than the canteen...

VnV

swashplate
14th Aug 2001, 19:43
Yup, still there!!!

Also do Hollands' S&K pies as well.

Don't know about meatpies/puddings...

Tricky Woo
14th Aug 2001, 19:47
I hate to hear all you Southern poofters mispronounce 'Olland's Pies.

Hagbard the Amateur
14th Aug 2001, 21:09
God, I'm sitting here in Zürich drooling.

Can't somebody set up an aid freight delivery airline for ex-pats called "Pie Fly?" I reckon frozen pies would survive long enough in the coldness of the hold to be immediately cookable and edible upon arrival.

I can still see it in my mind's eye (or was it my stomach?) Meat n' potato pie or baby's head (pudding) with good chips and loadsa gravy.

Pukka? I should say so.

Onan the Clumsy
14th Aug 2001, 21:28
Holland's Pies! Fabulous.

My favourite when I was a kid was to get Steak Pudding and chips with gravy, pour the whole lot into a bowl , stir it around and then woof it down with a bottle of D&B.

They don't really have meat pies here in the colonies. We used to have this yearly festival where the social groups from each country would have food stalls. I knew this one guy was an Australian, miserable bastard, but funny as hell and a nice bloke too. He was working the Aus/NZ stall one year and some local toff walked up and pointed to the meat pies asking "What are these?"

My mate reponds "Meat pies.".

"Oh yes, what's in them?".

Well he looked at the toff with a face full of thunder and growled "Meat".

Such a great loss to the diplomatic Corps.

Tricky Woo
14th Aug 2001, 22:33
You'll all be relieved to hear that your very own Tricky Woo (in league with Mr Patek) cooked himself up some chicken curry with rice this evening. Even more amazing is that it was a great success.

(belch)

TW

Hagbard the Amateur
14th Aug 2001, 23:34
Tricky; Gwaaan amigo!! You know it makes sense. :D :D :D

Hagbard the Amateur
14th Aug 2001, 23:48
Incidentally, for any ex pats who are interested in cooking up Indian delights, try this link: It's from the India Times website and for some unknown reason, they're well into their food...

http://cuisine.indiatimes.com/articlelist.asp?chname=Cuisine&curpg=1&def=1&category_key=-2058795547

Sorry about the length - I hope it posts clickable.

Crepello
15th Aug 2001, 00:16
In a similar vein to OTC's post, when I studied in Birmingham, there was a Chinese chippy in Witton that we'd often walk past. One night, I walked in with a mate who'd spotted a sign on the hot-cabinet - 'Pie: 50p'. The conversation went like this:

My mate: "Hey, what sort of pies are those?"

Owner (after a pause): "Pie."

Mate: "Yeah, but what sort of pie? You know, steak & onion, chicken & mushroom, ham & cheese, what?"

Owner (narrows eyes and gives the dirtiest of looks): "Pie."

We settled for chips...

Rollingthunder
15th Aug 2001, 05:09
Miss pie at the end of the run at Bronte Beach. Have no idea who made it.

henry crun
15th Aug 2001, 07:26
You guys and girls over there don't realise how lucky you are.
What was it at last count ?, close on 10,000
Indian restaurants in UK.

I'm hopeless at cooking a decent curry and have to drive about 90 miles to nearest genuine Indian.

Harry Peacock
15th Aug 2001, 17:40
HC

Where? where? where? where?

90 miles is nothin'for us's decent curry lad!
That lass who got it sent from the UK to the Rocks in Sydney had the right idea.....now thats what I call home delivery!!!!!! :cool:

swashplate
15th Aug 2001, 21:24
Hi Chaps - not been on all day coz of power cut in Kings Langley!!

Anyway, to buisiness:

http://www.hollandspies.co.uk/

Enjoy!!!!!!!

arrow2
16th Aug 2001, 02:50
Tricks and Hagbard, come on now you two guys, it is most unlike you to miss such a sure fire business opportunity - here you are, both near each other in Zurich, with detailed market research undertaken to give clear evidence that the Swiss cannot tell their Chapati from their Vindaloo, and all you can do is talk about it....get on out there, open up Zurich's 1st Balti house and invite all us PPRuNers around to the opening party!!!

A2

Rollingthunder
16th Aug 2001, 03:13
However, hire a really, really good chef and staff, otherwise belly up in six months.

Eric
16th Aug 2001, 13:09
Or belly up and bowels down in 6 minutes!

Hagbard the Amateur
16th Aug 2001, 13:52
We would also need two sections to the seating area in the restaurant. One for the internationals who are served food with full spice factor and one for the Swiss who are served meals which have had a chili pepper waved at them from three metres away.
Vindaloo Fondue?? Hmmmm.

Incidentally - are there enough PPRuNers around or passing through ZRH to warrant a Züri Bash? OK, no curry but the beer's alright.

Tricky Woo
16th Aug 2001, 13:59
Hagbard,

Put me down for the Züri-bash. Rather decent of you to offer to arrange it. If you need any suggestions as to a venue with the correct level of seediness, then let me assure you that I'm your man.

TW

Hagbard the Amateur
16th Aug 2001, 14:21
Nice one Tricky - so to avoid taking this thread off topic I'm going to start a thread on PPRuNe Bashes called "Züri Bash?"
If you fancy getting Swissed, show your interest there y'all.

My first venue idea would be "The Noble Dubliner" but if you have any ideas Tricky, please let me know.

Lefthanddown
16th Aug 2001, 15:08
Hagbard
Great link old bean

Tricky Woo
16th Aug 2001, 15:32
Hagbard,

I currently live about 200 metres from The Knob, so no arguments from me. Even the Guinness there isn't have bad.

TW

BayAreaLondoner
17th Aug 2001, 02:01
I'd train the cook at the Zurich place if you set it up :)

I too live in a mostly curry-free zone. San Francisco has few good curry houses. There are a few exceptions, the best so far being Punjab Kebab House (a true hole in the wall) and New Delhi in the same area (near Union Square). They both do full spice factor.

What I'm really after though is a good doner kebab!!!!

BAL.

Hagbard the Amateur
17th Aug 2001, 02:42
It seems like there is an applied food freight air network just waiting to be set up.
Mr Guvnor - what's your opinion?

What about pallet to palate cross ethnic foods transported to needy mouths across the planet by air?
I'm not sure how to ship a kebab safely though.
As for curries, maybe if the Indian government put their ICBM programme to good use we could have accurate long range food delivery right from the source.

Sorry - it's late - I'll get my dhoti...
:D :D :D

Edited for idiocy...

[ 16 August 2001: Message edited by: Hagbard the Amateur ]

BayAreaLondoner
17th Aug 2001, 03:43
I can just imagine a modified safety briefing concerning kebabs... :D

Velvet
17th Aug 2001, 13:38
Aren't you just a tad worried about who the doner is BAL ;)

The Mistress
17th Aug 2001, 13:54
Tricky I would be happy to send you Indian take-aways via DHL. Might be a bit pricey, but it depends how much you miss them :D

A colleague once sent an Indian meal to her husband in the Falkland Islands via a VC10 from Brize Norton - he said it arrived in good condition and tasted great!

Tricky Woo
17th Aug 2001, 15:30
Mistress,

Thanks for the offer.

May I put in an order for a bucket of chicken balti, with lashings of pilau rice, plus three portions of shish kebabs. To drink, I'll like a keg of Robinson bitter.

I'll also need some companionship, as the Swiss girls find curry a wee bit too exotic. It must be a British girl, then, seeing as they're trained to gargle vindaloo at an early age. Have her rubbed in butter, and then placed alongside the food and beer. Don't forget to label her correctly.

Awaiting the delivery in anticipation.

TW, xxx

Hagbard the Amateur
17th Aug 2001, 15:49
Incidentally, have any of the Brits out there seen the sketch from "Goodness Gracious Me" where we see a bunch of drunk Asians sitting at a restaurant table and out for an "English?" - Hilarious.

The Mistress
17th Aug 2001, 15:53
"Goodness Gracious ..." is one of the best TV comedy programmes ever - innit

Tricks - The balti and kebabs are no problem. Are there any female PPruners out there who are willing to be rubbed down with ghee and shipped out to Zurich? (At Tricky's expense, of course). God knows what fate awaits you :D

Eric
17th Aug 2001, 16:04
Tricky, I'm afraid there's no Robbies left.
I drank it all last night, at least it feels like I did!

Tricky Woo
17th Aug 2001, 17:18
Eric,

I envy you.

A skiving bunch of us used to go for naughty lunchtime drinkies at a pub on Oldham Street, Manchester called The Castle. Nasty place, to be honest, but serves the best pint of Robbies in the world. Even better than The Bakers in Stockport, and that's really saying something.

Ahh, nostalgia...

However, Zürich lake is looking soooo pretty this time of year. Oh, sod it. Who am I trying to kid?

TW (sniff, whimper, pine)

tony draper
17th Aug 2001, 17:56
Used to be a pub in the middle of Manchester called the Clues, or clews , not sure now, Jeus wept! now that was a rough pub, lady in her mid seventies offered me a short time as soon as I walked in the door.
I've sat drinking in bars with ton ton macout in Haiti,had a pint with Castro's men, we went downtown in Mombassa, the day Kenya got its independance,and supped with the Mau mau, we had been warned that any white man would be killed, we went where others feared to tread, yet the only pace I was thrown out of for being white was in Mosside in Manchester, yes we laughed at danger , but there's no way you would ever get me back inside the Clues. ;)

[ 17 August 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

Hagbard the Amateur
17th Aug 2001, 18:00
Does anyone remember the PSV club in Hulme?

Great gigs but stare at *no-one.* I often wonder how long the Zürich Swiss would survive in a place like that with their number one sport of staring judgementally - I think the time could be measured in milliseconds. Cultures are so varied in difference.

Back to the cultural wisdom of a good bhuna with garlic naan... drool...

Edited for afterthought.

[ 17 August 2001: Message edited by: Hagbard the Amateur ]

Hagbard the Amateur
17th Aug 2001, 22:38
Back on topic - check this place out too for an astounding range of Indian recipes by region - over 1000 of them. They even have a glossary to explain all the words in English.

http://www.bawarchi.com/cookbook/index.html

BayAreaLondoner
18th Aug 2001, 04:10
Can't let this thread die, so here's a link for all the deprived of curry:
http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/

Velvet - as long as the doner isn't a cat, dog or rat, that's OK... or is that impossible? :D

rover2701
19th Aug 2001, 18:55
Ah!!! curry and rice truly the spice of life. :) :) :)

JetAgeHobo
19th Aug 2001, 20:11
Dumb Question, but what is it with Brits and Curry? Apartment I'm sharing with my Brit boss has about 20 cans of curry something or other in the cupboard, some leaking the awful green stuff all over. I thought it was due to his Korean wife, but the reply was "oh no, we got a good deal on it"

But then getting my own apartment next month, and only food allowed will be pasta sauce, chili w/beans (Blazing Saddles here we come) and White Castle Hamburgers if I can get them snuck by China Customs.

Tricky Woo
20th Aug 2001, 00:31
You're an American, aren't you.

JetAgeHobo
20th Aug 2001, 05:45
Tricky, Yes, so like most Americans, have no clue about things British. Except for what I've learned here.

The don't let me east of Maine, or west of Bangkok.

[ 20 August 2001: Message edited by: JetAgeHobo ]

rover2701
21st Aug 2001, 01:15
Does anyone remember the Boddington Arms just outside Wilmslow? Best pint of Boddies in the Northwest until they modernised it and themed it.
Best curry, any in Rusholme. :p :p :p :p

NoSurrender
21st Aug 2001, 01:23
During my school days we used to get curry, rice and chips for dinner one day then gravy, rice and chips on the next day , is this a Northen thing?
(both dishes served with plenty of vinegar)

tony draper
21st Aug 2001, 01:29
Huh!Gravy???, bloody pampered southern fops ,this is the north, we never got any gravy. ;)

[ 20 August 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

Tricky Woo
21st Aug 2001, 02:03
Chips, mushy peas and gravy. A childhood favourite. Wouldn't taste right, of course, unless drenched in lashings of salt and vinegar. Heavy on the vinegar.

Usually scoffed it during the looong walk up t'hill back to me 'ouse.

Romiley, Stockport. Tricky Woo's cradle.

TW (sniff)

Hagbard the Amateur
21st Aug 2001, 02:38
Eeeeeeeeeeee byyyy gummm! You don't know yer born!!!
We used to dream of pudding chips and gravy. We had to sketch pictures of puddings on the backs of cardboard boxes in home made charcoal which we would eat on the way to the mill wearing sandpaper clogs after our dad had killed us twice as was regular on a weekday morning. :D

Long live Python & long live pies

[ 20 August 2001: Message edited by: Hagbard the Amateur ]

arrow2
21st Aug 2001, 18:07
Cardboard boxes??? Home made charcoal??? eyyy uppp thou 'as 'ad a cushy life' aint thou - we were grateful if our ma 'n da would take us oop to sandpit wi' a long stick we were.....

(ere we go again!!)

A2

dingducky
22nd Aug 2001, 18:49
well i would be willing to go to zurich
but unfortunitly i am not british :( ;) :D