PDA

View Full Version : Old European Currencies

BMM389EC
12th Apr 2004, 04:01
Just a few questions for you guys living in Europe. Can one still use the old European currencies? Like French Francs, Guilder,Lira, Drachma and so on or are they no longer accepted?
Confirm Switzerland is not part of the EU?

spork
13th Apr 2004, 12:14
That's an interesting site Mike. Thanks.

Just to complete the EU picture: the 10 countries joining the EU on 1 May 2004 are: Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, and Slovenia.

A lot of media hype here in the UK at the moment seems to infer that Bulgaria and Turkey join then too. In fact, Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey remain as candidates for EU membership.

airship
13th Apr 2004, 13:10
I believe that the sterling is still accepted here (at least in France)...:rolleyes:

answer=42
13th Apr 2004, 14:15
Eurozone stores no longer take old currency. Commercial banks are also unlikely to exchange old currency.

Central Banks will exchange their own old currency. Central Banks are the equivalents of the Federal Reserve. For most visitors, exchanging relatively small amounts of old currency is likely to be a waste of time.

While some stores accept foreign currency, as Airship points out, you are likely to pay well over the exchange rate for the service.

Just to be absolutely clear, Switzerland is not in the EU. There are currently 15 EU countries, three of which (UK, Denmark, Sweden) do not use the Euro.

None of the 10 new EU Member States (entry next month) will adopt the Euro immediately. Only Slovenia is likely to adopt it soon.

MarkD
14th Apr 2004, 21:09
any time I come across old eurozone coins DM guilder etc. I bung it in BA's UNICEF envelope as they accept them. Can't be bothered going to Central Bank in Dublin for a euro or two.