PDA

View Full Version : Lear 60 questions

Check 6
11th Apr 2004, 18:07
I would appreciate some feedback on the Lear 60.

1. Pax comfort in 8 pax configuration?
2. Cabin accessible baggage area - adequate?
3. External baggage - adequate?
4. Cockpit comfort, layout
5. Climb to 410 initial altitude at gross weight?
6. APU a must? Any problems?
7. Reliable airframe?

Anything else you would like to pass on good or bad is appreciated.

Check 6

LRdriver
12th Apr 2004, 10:02
1 A bit squashed as the 8th seat is the potty seat and is a bit uncomfertable for long flights. Not recommended especially if you want catering for all 8..not enough storage for it IMHO

2. Yes, if you specify the "curved" aft baggage bay option where they use the space from the aft coat closet to increase size. Also specify them to NOT install the Sat phone/ CD player on the backwall of the baggage area as this basically eats up the space with the huge protective cover

3. Not as big as the LR45.. If everybody shows up with samsonites or golfclubs..then you have a problem..IMHO it could be bigger

4.I love the layout.. I wish that you could move the seat further back but with a hard cockpit door as opposed to the curtain you lose about an inch of aft movement. Not enough space for a full set of Jepps unless you use the step up to the cockpit or can use the fwd coat closet for books you dont need or want to access(easily, whilst seated) during flight. Good seats and adequate for 5hr+ flights. Noise OK but ANR sets remove windnoise

5. The 60 is very temp sensative and in normal conditions that isnt a problem. Dont expect higher than FL450 as its too heavy to get higher than that without dragging its butt. Its seems quite happy at 410-430 still maintaining good FF.

6. APU is a must..unless you want to spend money/hassel with GPUs and shortend Battery lives. I think its great because the time you spend setting stuff up, makes things less stressful.. Only problem is that they dont work in the air..they only provide electric pwr (so the cabin warming is like a big hairdryer and mediocre at best in cold winter areas)..also they are a bit temperamental, we have had our share of problems, but others I've used have been OK.

7. No complaints, Pax love it as they can stand up in it. It tends to be biased towards electrical faults as it is a heavily electric airplane. I have found them to reliable, not flawless, as at times the avionics or Engine computers act up and you need to shut everything down for a few minutes and let everything reboot again on startup again(obviously not an option in the air..hehe..). V good auto pressurisation system.
The biggest Problem is rwy lengths required..check and see they work for you in dry and wet, and also if you need it for commercial ops as then you get hit hard (In JAR-OPS as in our case..)

All in all, its a great airplane to fly, awesome performance during climbouts, last of the real Lears.. Passengers enjoy standing up and albeit not the latest greatest widescreen TV cockpit, still very good and with Universal FMS's does the job very well.
Cheers,
CAR

Check 6
12th Apr 2004, 15:15
Thanks a bunch LRdriver, most helpful.

Check 6

:ok: