PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe PILOT MAIL pop-ups

BEagle
11th Apr 2004, 12:26
I'm considering $hitcanning PPRuNe Pilot Mail altogether as it keeps trying to infest my system with pop-ups and spyware programs. No matter how many times you click 'close', 'NO', 'Bug.ger off' or whatever, bŁoody Gator corps and other cr@p keeps trying to load.

Anyone else having the same problems?

The Nr Fairy
11th Apr 2004, 15:27
Nope, none of the same problems.

Forked out $20 or so for the option to allow SMTP email. Besides, I've also got Meaya's PopUpAd Killer, NoFlash and the Google toolbar which effectively stop all that sh1te.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Apr 2004, 16:30
BEagle,

That sounds strange that the email provider would be trying to push Gain (Gator) on you.

Are you sure that something else is not going on?

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If the PPRuNe Email provider were pushing Gator on its users, I am sure Danny would cancel PPRuNe Email on the spot and move it someplace else.

BEagle
11th Apr 2004, 17:45
I'm sure that it's not intended to..

But it only seems to appear when I go to the PPRuNe PIlot Mail site.....

There's no 'Gator' or 'Gain' lurking in my 'processes' (whatever the heck those are....)!

As an example, I just logged on and
http://www.morethancard.com/?mktchn=popunder appeared without being asked for
:mad: :mad: :mad:

BEagle
12th Apr 2004, 20:16
Weird.

Latest Norton loaded, full system scan, totally clear.

System restored to 22 March and all seems to be much better. There are now 3 less 'processes' noted, so perhaps some wretched malicious program had infiltrated itself?

Still, I'm not going to use Pilot Mail any more. Spam had started to creep in as well as pop-ups.......

I'd relish roasting all hackers alive over a slow fire.......

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Apr 2004, 23:09
BEagle,

I will bring the match. ;)

Richard

FJJP
14th Apr 2004, 18:16
...and I'll bring the petrol (or for Richard's benefit - the gasoline!)...

BEagle
14th Apr 2004, 21:20
That'd be too quick! Maybe just some kerosene? Toast the ba$tard slowly so that he can suffer longer....painfully.

Tried PPRuNe Pilot Mail again tonight - another intrusive 'do you want to download and install' advertising pop-up soon appeared. "NO I BŁOODY DON'T - NOW JUST F*CK OFF" was the option I was looking for. Didn't click anything, just pressed the off switch.....

Bad-Man
15th Apr 2004, 13:52
What to expect from an Email provider that makes a fortune of selling spamprotection?
My pprune mail is no longer in use, - I was so tired of deleting all the f*cking crap that came in every day.
Sorry to announce my mail account is switched off and it will stay off.
B

FJJP
15th Apr 2004, 21:28
...and a comment from Danny??

Danny
16th Apr 2004, 01:26
PPRuNe Pilot Mail is a service provided by Everyone.net. I provide a subdomain of pprune.com and they control the mail. When it was originally set up, it was a free to use service and there was very little advertising. Later, they added heir own premium service which included full POP access, no advertising and larger mailboxes with virus protection and scanning.

There are 19,,000+ people signed up to use PPRuNe Pilot Mail and I have no idea how many of those are active. I provided it as a free service and you are free to discontinue using the account.

As I said, I have no control over the service other than the ability to add a bit of colour and have a few of my adverts appear in there. If it cost you anything and you're not happy with the service then I can understand but they do have a full cusomer support service for their subscribing customers. As for the problems with pop-ups for their non-revenue customers, what can I say? Don't use it. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I should introduce pop-up ads here and offer an advert/pop up free option to those willing to subscribe?:E It doesn't matter what I do because I can only make some of the people happy all of the time or all of the people happy some of the time. :confused:

BEagle
16th Apr 2004, 06:43
Thank you for the explanation, Danny.

The problem is the type of intrusive pop-ups which they are now using. That includes those 'spyware' program offers which need about 6 clicks to make them $od off. Get it wrong and something invades your computer. That, to me, is NOT a reasonable form of advertising.

"Pay us more or you'll keep getting adverts and pop-ups" is little more than legalised blackmail - it needs to be stopped, in my opinion.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Apr 2004, 14:24
BEagle,

The free service should have all the ads they want, just not try to infect computers with Spyware. After all, nothing in this world is free, and someone has to pay for it. The Mail service makes their money off of the ads. I highly doubt they make much of anything off of their upgraded service plan.

Now, Danny if you were to move to another email provider, can it be done seamlessly, moving 19k+ email accounts?

I am sure someone out there would want the business of someone with 19k+ accounts.

Take Care,

Richard

Binoculars
16th Apr 2004, 14:53
No idea whether this is part of the same problem, but whenever I select Inbox these days, a female voice says "What do you want me to say? Type anything you want".

Not a major problem but not something wholesome either. I've become accustomed to deleting 70 spam messages a day; it's part of life, but I've no idea where this one is coming from.

BEagle
17th Apr 2004, 17:51
Just had a quick check to see whether there was anything in my old Pilot Mail inbox - as soon as I'd deleted it, some bŁoody junk from MOLDCONECTA wanted me to 'always trust' etc. "NO I DON'T - JUST F*CK OFF AND DIE, WILL YOU!!"

redsnail
17th Apr 2004, 21:52
Bino's,
It's a banner add on the mail programme.
I get it only when I have Webwasher "red crossed" or off.

BEagle
22nd Apr 2004, 07:21
Received an e-mail notifier advising me of messages in my Pilot Mail inbox.....

Both were spam from pushy Yank finance organisations. Both were forwarded to 'The Management' for them to beat the mail server about the head with. In doing this, 4 individual pop-ups invaded my screen.

When WinXP SP2 is released, will it prevent these irritating, pointless and intrusive pop-ups being let through?

But PPRuNe management need to address the Pilot Mail spam issue to the e-mail service provider :mad:

BEagle
11th May 2004, 07:24
Have noticed more and more spam getting into the PilotMail service. As soon as any 'delete' action is taken, more of these 'Do you want to download and install' things appear - and I'm forced to turn the computer off to drop the link.

Time to terminate my PPRuNe Pilot Mail, I reckon!

The Nr Fairy
11th May 2004, 11:41
I have NEVER had spam or dubious popups on my PPRuNe account when used via the web.

BEags et al:

Investigate Google toolbar - it has a pop-up ad killer. Also check http://www.meaya.com for their Pop-Ad Filter, and http://www.geocities.jp/baryonlee/noflash/ for NoFlash - which stops all sorts of unwanted bandwidth hogging stuff.

AND use Ad-Aware or SpyBot to ensure you've got nothing lurking on your machine which you don't know about.

goates
11th May 2004, 17:48
You may want to try Mozilla or Mozilla FireFox as they can stop pop-ads as well. I have never had trouble with my Pilot Mail account, but then again, I don't use it much. The Mozilla programs don't have the many "features" of IE that allow programs to automatically install themselves.

Another problem with these email accounts is if the spammers realise that there are thousands of email accounts with the Pprune domain. They can just let their computer create every possible email [email protected]. This is part of teh reason people get spam five minutes after creating a new hotmail account.

goates