PDA

View Full Version : anyone know where i can get into aircraft engineering??

WanabePilot
11th Apr 2004, 12:22
Hello help anyone please??

I am a recent graduate and I did a degree in aerospace engineering. I graduated in may 2003 and i am still having trouble getting into the aviation industry, trust me ive tried hard but im not the type to give up. ;)
Ive always had a love for aviation and want to work on aircraft or anything to do with them. Ive tried all the big companies like BAE and Rolls Royce, Bombardier etc but have been rejected.

Can anyone supply me with some information where I can look or could anyone give some inside infor to whos recruiting? Another point, if any1 can help is can any1 tell me the best flying school to enrol to get a PPL ?? thanks alot any help will be appreciated !!!!!:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
11th Apr 2004, 12:55
A similar question was asked a few weeks ago, I suggest scrolling down the page a little and reading the "getting a design job" thread.

On the PPL issue, I'd suggest posting that as a separate question (or just searching all the 1001 other posts asking the same question) in either "wanabees" or "private flying".

Best of luck,

G

AVIONIQUE
11th Apr 2004, 13:10
May be worth trying rolls royce again as they have just secured a HUGE contract and may well be feeling more benevolent than in recent times.
Airlines are contracting if anything at the moment so it will be slow progress there,but keep firing out the cv,they sometimes land on the right desk at the right time!thats how i got in anyway.
You start with the disadvantage of reading a usefull subject,should have read accountancy or feng shui management.

TURIN
12th Apr 2004, 09:44
If you are under 22 yrs and fancy another 5 yrs training then BA are supposedly recruiting for their PEP-Professional Engineering Program (apprenticeship) this year. You are probably "over qualified" with a degree, as they usually take on 18yr olds with 'A' levels. 20 vacancies only!!!

Before I get flamed, the term "over qualified" is in the sense that BA like to mould their recruits from raw material, not that some one with a degree is too clever to be an LAE.

:ok:

Good Luck.

Krystal n chips
12th Apr 2004, 17:13
Cast your net a lot wider. Do not simply think in terms of the major players--or become Airline fixated. Try the MRO's, try GA and try the world as a whole--unless you have compelling reasons for staying in the UK of course. I would suggest you concentrate on the work aspect though, prior to the PPL--unless you can see a direct use for the latter other than simply learning to fly--which you can do at any age. You could also think about the Formula 1 etc industry--more money I believe --eventually.
Basically, do your research world-wide and approach as many organisations as you can directly----try to avoid at all costs using the human garbage / vermin known as "recruitment consultants". You could also try the Gov't for a few years--not a bad start despite what they say---and you don't have to commit for life either. As for BA--well for moulded read brainwashed and yes, as you have proved you have the capacity to think, they probably wouldn't take you anyway. In essence, think outside the proverbial box. Best of luck !:ok:

ukeng
14th Apr 2004, 14:38
In essence, think outside the proverbial box.

Sure you don't work for BA management??
No, course you don't - they're onto "Blue Sky Thinking" now and "Elephants in row boats"......;)

I'd follow the sentiments above, make your mind up what you want to do. If it's design work or along those lines stay well clear of airlines, take a look at the smaller manufacturers and just carpet bomb all of them with your CV.

A low paid start up job in GA will help enourmously and keep you ticking over for now, try your local airfield/flying clubs for some leads.

Good luck!

WanabePilot
23rd Apr 2004, 21:38
what is GA by the way????

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Apr 2004, 23:07
GA = General Aviation.

A very poor term, but if you assume it means any flying below about 3 tonnes, but exclusing military you won't be far out.

G