PDA

View Full Version : Films/shows that scared you as an adult

gatfield
11th Apr 2004, 11:31
Ok - forget what scared you as a child , which is relatively easy, what about as an adult ?

The Blair Witch Project scared the sh*t out of me - I decided I could never go camping again. Even my man was somewhat shaken.

I don't know how - but some friends saw this movie and thought it was funny - not sure what they were on - AND they were scared by the movie the Ring - which I just thought was a try-hard scary movie with a dumb ending.

Oh I forgot to mention - shows with liposuction and plastic surgery I find nightmarish as well.

And one show where a guy got his penis pierced - nightmare as well - and I don't even have one!

hoss
11th Apr 2004, 11:55
I love to watch a good horror movie preferably at night when I'm home alone, it's quite healthy actually. In my opinion the "Grandfather" of horror award goes to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre(original) always has and probably always will. I also thought the recent remake was quite good as well.

gatfield, Blair Witch 2 is fairly crappy, at least the first one had an element of 'realness' to it:ooh: .

Ok, how many of you have tried the "Candyman x 3" in front of your mirror;) ?

G-ALAN
11th Apr 2004, 12:15
I just watched the texas chainsaw massacre on Friday night there, 'twas sh!t. Well it wasn't bad but it didn't scare me at all, just thought it was rather gory. Freddy vs Jason was good though!! Bloody scary, one slept with the light on that night :}

flyblue
11th Apr 2004, 14:27
The Pokémon I... I was scared they could make the sequel :*

Boss Raptor
11th Apr 2004, 14:43
Wouldn't say scared as such but the 'Hannibal' scene where he takes of the top of Ray Lliotas' head and proceeds to saute his brain still makes me gag every time I see it - great movie ;)

Jerricho
11th Apr 2004, 16:52
The "Redrum" bit of Stanley Kubrics' version of The Shining always makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

Concur on the sh!te factor of the Blair Witch 2 movie. How do you say "RIPOFF"!?

Rich Lee
11th Apr 2004, 16:55
"Audition" by Takashi Miike. Pure psych-nightmare. Watch it before your next blind date.

BOEINGBOY1
11th Apr 2004, 16:56
Watching the 2 aircraft slam into the world trade centre.
Sends a shiver up my spine, always.

zerozero
11th Apr 2004, 17:59
...is, in my opinion, the most frightening movie ever made.

It's also one of the best books I've ever read.

The priest trained in psychology wrestling with his own skepticism and guilt.

The older priest wrestling with a demon from his past (literally).

The demon claiming to be the Devil.

And the little girl caught in the middle of it all.

Veeerrrryyyy crrreeeepppyyyy.

hoss
12th Apr 2004, 04:00
I found The Exorcist quite interesting, the book sounds cool(I'll put in my 'must read' file:) ).

Out of interest, has anyone ever been to an Exorcism? A mate of mine his father is a Baptist Pastor and once witnessed one:ooh: .

Nani
12th Apr 2004, 04:13
zerozero,

If you really want to get scared,why not visit the site it was filmed at?

One cold breezy fall night instead of walking around,I thought I could take a short cut from those same steps (my car broke down and it was easier to hail one in Georgetown). I think I was able to climb only couple of steps when I looked up and ran for the longer route. :eek:

takenthe5thamendment
12th Apr 2004, 05:52
One Halloween a few years ago the BBC made a spoof live documentary called Ghostwatch.
It starred Michael Parkinson, Sarah Greene and Mike Smith.

It was gripping stuff and scared the hell out of me, there were lots of complaints and it is alleged that someone actually took their own life after watching it.

I have never been so frightened in my life.
Recently been released on DVD, I bought it, but have not, as yet, had the courage to actually sit and watch it.

AeroSpark
12th Apr 2004, 08:24
I found Signs a very creepy film. The bit when you can here the aliens padding round the roof and then the loft hatch opens...I was nearly behind the sofa:eek:

Slim20
12th Apr 2004, 09:27
I watched Event Horizon on telly last night. I thought it was a normal sci-fi flick but i almost ended up sleeping with the lights on.

"Liberate me...." oo-errr!

Boss Raptor
12th Apr 2004, 09:42
Ditto on Event Horizon last night, never seen it (or heard of it) before, thought it was going to be run of the mill and turned out to be very good

sprocket
12th Apr 2004, 10:09
Punkd. The biggest bunch of unfunny and often cruel pranks done to 'unsuspectings'. Sad sick [email protected]

flower
12th Apr 2004, 10:20
I went to see Event Horizon at the cinema with a colleague of mine, thinking it was just a normal Sci Fi type film. He and I were absolutely terrified.

Ghostwatch also had me very scared, I kept telling myself it could not be for real but the BBC made no effort to show it was a drama rather than a documentary.

The thing I find most scary though on TV are Soap Operas followed by reality TV shows.

Toebrake
12th Apr 2004, 11:32
The first Hellraiser Movie...and the second one, the rest are a bit silly. When the hooks rip into the victim.....Not nice. Also the T.V version of salems Lot with David Soul. I know it shouldn't but the guy with the purple head and bad dentistry really gave me the squits!!:}

Ozzy
12th Apr 2004, 12:26
Jackass The Movie....:oh: :}

Ozzy

G-ALAN
12th Apr 2004, 13:45
Another vote for Event Horizon. It was my kind of film. I get three for 6 quid in my video shop so I just picked it up to make up the three, ironicly it turned out to be the best and scariest of the three. :ok:

Keep 'em comming, I'm getting some good Ideas for a film for tonight :}

Dalriadan Archangel
12th Apr 2004, 14:03
I agree with The Exorcist. This one surprised me. I am confirmed athiest but this film scared me witless and I was in my 20's

Jerricho
12th Apr 2004, 21:59
Jackass The Movie

Wasn't that a biography about you Oz? :p :p

Wedge
13th Apr 2004, 00:15
Another vote for The Exorcist.

There are reports of adults being 'severly traumatised' by the film.

It is very, very scary indeed; and allegedly a true story.

Taken the fifth - I remember the Halloween BBC special, it was brilliantly done and I was totally suckered in by it. What made it so plausible was the way it started as just another live TV event. There were some very cleverly done scenes, like cutting to co-presenter Craig Charles after the young girl started talking like a devil and the Ambulance paramedic and cameraman were apparently seriously injured..... "I didn't know we we on, I was caught out".

Then the cut to the old VT screen with the clock as the studio was cleared was really clever.

Scared the hell out of me, I was totally pulled in, and I don't consider myself particularly gullible! :\ :uhoh: :\ :uhoh: :\

Have to say, on the scareometer, Blair Witch didn't come close!

Davaar
13th Apr 2004, 00:35
Psycho, 1961.

I went to the theatre alone. At the crucial moment the young lady next to me threw her arms around my neck, and we got chatting.

ShyTorque
13th Apr 2004, 00:45
I don't watch so-called horror films any more.

Having watched real people burning to death when I was powerless to help them and dealt with the aftermath of more than a few other real horrors in my time, I no longer wish to be reminded. :ugh:

Davaar
13th Apr 2004, 00:51
I agree, Shy. I had much the same thought when I saw a recent post about "crash and burn". You have to see only one. I cannot stand those "hospital" TV series. Been there.

West Coast
13th Apr 2004, 05:30
"Gonorrhea and your responsibilities"

Military movie I was required to watch prior to going to the Philippines. I kept telling myself a shot will cure it.

Ahh yes the good old days of calculating a PCOD.

Aileron Roll
13th Apr 2004, 11:24
The Shinning still shares the [email protected]@t out of me

Binoculars
13th Apr 2004, 11:29
Another vote here for The Exorcist. Saw it again recently, and it hasn't lost any of its power, though I wasn't fussed on the new ending. It's difficult for those of us raised (brainwashed) as Catholics to deny the power the story holds.

Have to agree that the book was spellbinding stuff too; read the first 80 pages or so one night when I was 20 then stayed up till 3am finishing it the next night; absolutely unforgettable.