PDA

View Full Version : random restart of computer

stolport
11th Apr 2004, 10:06
Hi

I've recently installed Tiscali Broadband onto my Dad's computer and ever since, the computer keeps restarting itself.

This can get very annoying! - does anyone know what the cause of this could be?

MTIA

amanoffewwords
11th Apr 2004, 10:49
A virus can do that. Try running the checks as described in the stickies at the top of this forum. And maybe the stinger removal tool (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/) too.

amofw

Memetic
11th Apr 2004, 11:21
Hi Stolport,

Do you mean that the computer switches itself off and then restarts?

Or do you mean that when the computer is switched off it starts up all by its self?

If the first, in the absence of any other symptoms like lots of unexpected firewall traffic which could indicate a virus, I would check the processor cooling fan and the power supply fan. Most modern PC's automatically shut down if too hot.

If the PC is starting up by itself and you are using a network card to connect to a broadband router, as opposed to a USB modem, the network card / PC BIOS might have "Wake on LAN" enabled. This is a feature that lets administrators remotely switch on a PC to work on it. If this sounds possible just disable WoL and see if that does the trick.

My desktop PC has it enabled and although it is supposed to require a special set of packets to be sent to the card to start the PC, if connected to my router it sometimes just wakes up - i'm as sure as I can be that it is not a hack. I can't get it to work via my firewall and I know all the detalis, is seems just random. Made me jump the first time it happened though!:D

fobotcso
11th Apr 2004, 11:28
stolport

We need to know more! Tell us the version of Windows and whether it is up to date. What version of Tiscali? Have you uninstalled Tiscali to see if that fixes it?

Is it really random, in that you can't be sure that it will behave or misbehave? Or do you mean that it does it every time and is therefore predictable but unwanted?

These in addition to the questions above.

waiting in expectation.... fobs

stolport
11th Apr 2004, 11:44
Hi

The computer is running on Windows 98 and we are using Tiscali Broadband 3x with a Sagem F@st 800 ADSL Modem.

It is when we are using the computer that it just shuts down and restarts without any warning or error message. It can take anything from a few minutes up to an hour before the computer shuts down and immediately restarts itself.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Apr 2004, 16:26
stolport,

How long ago was Win98 installed and was it a fresh install from the CABs or an upgrade?

Is it Win98 or Win98SE?

It would help to know the details on the hardware if you have any. (CPU and motherboard details or who made the computer and model number.)

Take Care,

Richard

stolport
21st Apr 2004, 12:25
I still have this problem with my Dad's computer - can anyone hel-p?

I have uninstalled the Sagem modem and re-installed it but when the modem is plugged in, the computer keeps restarting at random interviews with no prior warning.

If the modem is disconnected from the computer, the restart does not occur.

We have 2 computers in the house, using 2 separate modems for Tiscali (we unplug one if both computers are used at the same time) and I have tried both modems with my computer and the they both work fine.

Could it be anything to do with the phone and fax machine which are connected to the same phone socket (via a filter) as my Dad's computer?

Thanks

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Apr 2004, 13:19
stolport,

How long ago was Win98 installed and was it a fresh install from the CABs or an upgrade?

Is it Win98 or Win98SE?

It would help to know the details on the hardware if you have any. (CPU and motherboard details or who made the computer and model number.)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. We cannot help until you answer our questions.

stolport
21st Apr 2004, 13:59
The computer is Authentic AMD with AMD Athlon (tm) processor with 176.0 MB RAM and using Windows 98 2nd Edition.

The motherboard is stated as 'Microsoft 4-23-1999'.

Memory = 176.0 MB of RAM
Systems resources = 42% free
File system = 32 bit
Virtual memory = 32 bit
Disk compression = not installed
PC cards = none
Configured = optimal performance

Hope this helps.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Apr 2004, 16:10
stolport,

Unfortunately that information does not help. Do you have the make and model of the computer?

I am trying to find out what hardware you have so we can give you updated drivers for your motherboard and LAN Ports.

Also, it could be that Win98SE has corrupted its system files and might need a fresh install from the CABs. (It would help knowing how long since the last fresh install.)

Take Care,

Richard

amanoffewwords
21st Apr 2004, 16:48
Did you check the system out for viruses/trojans/malware etc... as suggested above - you probably did but we can't guess..

Cheers,
Charles

fobotcso
21st Apr 2004, 18:18
Had a case of this in the last week and what seemed to cure it was uninstalling the "ATI" graphics configuration utility.

The Blue Screen of Death as the laptop crashed and rebooted was so brief that it was unreadable, but the Event Viewer showed an error with the code "1003".

If you've got a Graphics program such as ATI try getting rid of it and leave the display setting up to Windows.

spannersatcx
21st Apr 2004, 19:37
I had something similar happen to me once it turned out to be the power supply unit.

If the 2 pc's you have are similar have a look at swopping the psu's around and see if that helps. Taking all precautions to prevent electricuting yourself first of course!:{