PDA

View Full Version : Mensa members - too THICK ?

ohyouareaone
11th Apr 2004, 04:37
being very new here are any mensa members around ? probably but may we talk ? Also if enough the possibility of a new forum beckons - boring I know but may improve with time

please pm or email if you wish

lineboy_nz
11th Apr 2004, 05:35
there already is a mensa forum, you just gotta figure out where it it ;)

ohyouareaone
11th Apr 2004, 05:44
telepathy doesn`t work it seems but ta

Tee
11th Apr 2004, 11:10
Track down Whirlybird - she's mentioned a few times that she's a Mensa member. Often seen on the Private Flying and Rotorheads fora

BlueEagle
11th Apr 2004, 11:38
You could start your search here (http://www.mensa.org/) .

BOAC
11th Apr 2004, 11:53
Now That's clever, BE:D

Genghis the Engineer
11th Apr 2004, 11:57
There is a healthy Mensa aviation special interest group (SIG), called "AVSIG". Whirlybird is a regular writer for the newsletter, and I do occasionally when not too busy. Not been a get-together for a while, but that's because we're all too damned busy to organise one, and if you have the time and energy we'll probably all come along and buy you a beer.

You can get the contact details for the AVSIG co-ordinator from Mensa HQ; best bet is to drop him a line asking for a sample newsletter, then if you're interested, join up as one of your two free SIGS.

I have to say, it's one of the more interesting groups within Mensa - the Engineers SIG I joined briefly but turned out to me mostly a whingeing forum for failed inventors.

G

Tinstaafl
11th Apr 2004, 12:35
I didn't know there was an Avsig! Damn.

Notso Fantastic
11th Apr 2004, 17:04
Never really understood this need for Mensa-qualifying people wanting to get together in Forums and clubs and talk to each other.......about being clever-dicks and having high IQ scores? MAybe I'm thick but I somehow just can't quite see it?

montys ex teaboy
11th Apr 2004, 17:40
Pilots who belong to mensa?

Well if there are any they cant be that smart, or they wouldn't be forced to fly aircraft or helicopters for a living. :}

Genghis the Engineer
11th Apr 2004, 18:12
To those not a party to Mensa, it is basically a nationwide social club with a rather odd entry requirement and quite a good monthly magazine. In effect it acts as an "Open Students Union", with numerous sub-groups, social events and what have you.

There are a few pillocks who boast about their membership - a bit like people who boast about having a pilots licence really; everybody does it a bit at first, but it soon wears off. Conversations about IQ tests have been known, but are pretty rare.

The nearest it has ever had to a common aim as an organisation is that it puts a fair bit into work on educating bright kids. Other than that, it's just another of the million or so clubs and societies that we brits are so fond of forming and joining.

G

Never really understood this need for qualified pilots wanting to get together in Forums and clubs and talk to each other.......about being able to fly aeroplanes and look after them? Maybe I'm not immersed in aviation enough but I somehow just can't quite see it?

Notso Fantastic
11th Apr 2004, 19:30
Quite- we're all mad.

Jerricho
13th Apr 2004, 00:03
Why am I thinking of that Far Side comic of "The School for the Gifted"?

maxalt
13th Apr 2004, 02:57
I once applied, but when I got the paperwork I quickly realised the most important prerequisite to qualify for membership was that you paid their fee. I had always thought it was a non commercial venture based solely and absolutely on mental ability. WRONG.
Quickly realised its just another scam.

Wanna join Mensa?
That'll be 50 quid...here's your card.

Sad.

M.Mouse
13th Apr 2004, 11:12
Funny enough I took the MENSA entrance exam out of curiosity but couldn't really work out what the point of being a member was!

They must be clever people though because Sir Clive Sinclair is a member and he invented the Sinclair C5. (http://www.sincuser.f9.co.uk/036/sincc5.htm)

As a footnote the C5 had an optional flagpole from which one could fly a red pennant to aid conspicuity. To my horror and amusement I once observed a solitary pennant wobbling amongst the traffic around the Hangar Lane Gyratory system, that well known multi-lane junction reminiscent of the first bend at the start of an F1 race. Not sure if the C5 owner lived or not.

angels
13th Apr 2004, 11:40
Ho ho! A nice thread divert this, from Mensa to the C5.

I recall seeing a sad-looking man pushing a C5 up Brixton Hill. He was being trailed by some local kids who were taunting him mercilessly. I felt very smug in my Morris Minor as I whizzed by him.....:O

SLFguy
13th Apr 2004, 13:39
I once got run over in a C5 - A40 West London - am ok now tho.

chuks
13th Apr 2004, 18:22
Steve Martin did an amusing little riff on Mensa for 'The New Yorker' that plays off some of the popular misconceptions about it.

In the States, at least, they seemed pretty straight about requiring people to be in the top 2% on various intelligence tests such as I.Q. and SATs. I didn't get the feeling they were just after my money.

Perhaps you have them confused with the Scientologists. They it was who would always come up to me in the parking lot at the 7/11 when I went to buy the latest 'Playboy' (for the interview). First came the questions and then, 'Pow!', came the sales pitch.

That settled one basic question of intelligence for me; who is smarter, me or a Scientologist? (Anyone who wants a copy of 'Dianetics' in like-new condition please get in touch.)

I only went to a couple of Mensa meetings, which I found pretty dire. There were a very few interesting people there while most of them seemed to be socially inept. That is to say, even more socially inept than I was! Which was going some, 'geniuses' or not. If I had stuck with it it might have proved worthwhile. That was Washington D.C., a strange little corner of the world.

A little-known fact is that one measure of intelligence on an I.Q. test is simply how long you remain talking when you answer some of the questions! (So that is what that stopwatch is for!)

I think 'social intelligence' is much more important than simply having a high I.Q. or high SATs.

We were once amused when a math genius with a brain the size of a planet decided to put in a spell repairing cars. He had figured that any dummy could do that job. He lasted about two weeks!

Drap-air
13th Apr 2004, 18:32
i joined mensa as a challenge to myself, after watching 'test the nation', i couldn't care what people think!:ok:

Jerricho
13th Apr 2004, 18:37
That reminds me of a joke about a Proctologist who decided to pack it in and become a car mechanic. He studied hard for his apprenticeship at Car Mechanic School and was fast tracked to the final exam.

The examiner told him "To pass this exam, you must strip down the engine of this car, lay all the pieces out and identify each one correctly, then put it back together. You have 2 hours".

2 hours later the Proctologist had completed his task, and was asked to leave the room as the examiner conferred with a colleague for marking of the test.

"Good news" said the examiner as they called the Proctologist back in. "You have achieved the highest mark ever in the exam of 150%!!!"

"150%!!!" exclaimed the Proctologist, "I didn't think that was possible?!"

The examiner sat him down and explained "Well, firstly you took the car engine apart and identified every piece perfectly. 50% there. You then reassembled the engine exactly and it worked perfectly. Once again 50%."

The Proctologist looked puzzled as the examiner continued...........

"And we decided to give you the bonus 50% because we have never seen anybody do it by working through the exhaust pipe!!!"

High Wing Drifter
13th Apr 2004, 19:18
Wanna join Mensa?
That'll be 50 quid...here's your card.
Huh? I had to do a self administered test at home and get within 138 (+/-2) to actually qualify for the actual entrance test. The fee was not an issue as I seem to remeber it - a few years ago now.

FWIW, I got 136, which, with the standard devation just put me in the top 2% band. I decided it was a fluke and that I wouldn't pass the proper test so didn't take it any further.

Drap-air
13th Apr 2004, 20:12
the home test is a good estimate as to what you may get in the supervised tests, of which there are two, passing either one will render you a member of mensa! :sad: :8 :8

Keef
13th Apr 2004, 22:59
I remember doing the test back in the dark ages (early 60s IIRC), passing, and then deciding I needed shotgun cartridges more than I needed an intellectual magazine - I only had enough pocket money for one.

I've only met two folks who claimed to be members, and on that basis decided there was no way I'd want to join. Mind you, I didn't know Genghis and Whirly are members ;)

Whirlybird
14th Apr 2004, 09:27
Hi Jet Blasters. Just found this thread; haven't been in JB for ages, but I need a break from the Private Flying Forum. :(

I joined Mensa years ago out of curiosity, stayed because of inertia, the fact I met some nice people, and on balance was getting enough out of it to make it worthwhile. Bit like PPRuNe really.

To correct a couple of points...

Tee says I've mentioned being a member several times. I only recall once...or maybe twice. But I could be wrong...he/she must be keeping tabs on me!!! :eek: :D

Genghis, I USED to write regularly for AvSIG. I joined as a very new PPL, and was delighted to find somewhere that would publish my enthusiastic aviation-related ramblings. I haven't written much for them recently. Tinny, AvSIG is quite good; worth joining. :ok: Sometimes a bit too techically orientated for my liking, but you won't mind. They used to have fly-ins, and will again, if someone gets around to organising one. Genghis and I have both done it once, and are both far too busy to organise anything again I think.

There's also Adrenalin SIG, also run by a PPRuNer. I went to their first meeting - rode quad bikes and moved sacks with a forklift thingy and shot clay pigeons and a few other fun activities. They had a flying day at White Waltham with different trial lessons on offer...I was going to fly in, but the weather was too bad. There's loads of other SIGs too...I like CatSIG (well, I would, wouldn't I?), Professional Writers SIG, and Travel Sig. I started the Welsh Language SIG, with a bilingual newsletter, after being told it would never work. I ran it for five years, then passed it on, by which time it had 80 members, probably 79 more than anyone had expected.

I used to go to a few Mensa meetings and weekends. Usually people meet, chat, eat, drink, generally have a good time. I believe there are some more intellectual activities at some of them if you like that sort of thing. But most of the time they're a bit like PPRune bashes, but with less aviation input (errr...on second thoughts, do we ever discuss aviation at PPRune bashes??). I rarely go now; too busy flying and so on. But I'm staying with a friend I met through Mensa when I go to the London Air Show this weekend, another Mensan looks after my cats now and then when I go away, another is a regular travel partner for trips to far-flung places. So...a social club, for people with very tenuous connections or similarities, with some good and some bad, and a way of meeting friends and making useful contacts. Bit like PPRune really. Or like life.