PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones and Driving.

AntiCrash
11th Apr 2004, 03:06
About two years ago whilst stopped at a light my car was rear ended and I wound up in the back seat. I had been singing and was relaxed, The driver of the Mercedes SUV did not engage the brakes at all. I guess because of the complete suprise and my singing with the radio, I was only a little shaken and not injured. I would really like the vehicle license number to be the same as the drivers mobile number. What is it like across the pond? By the way there was a poll last week that awarded Florida drivers second place as the nation's worst. Were going to have to work a little harder...:ok:

airship
11th Apr 2004, 03:39
Do you mean to say that you were actually on the phone with the guy who rear-ended you or that he called you later and you have his number? :confused: Anyway, in Europe, most car registrations have letters as well as numbers...compared to mobile phone numbers, which consist of ummm, just numbers...:D

Tinstaafl
11th Apr 2004, 12:01
What if you own more than one car? Or phone? Or you're driving a borrowed/rented/stolen vehicle?

AntiCrash
11th Apr 2004, 12:20
I would expect the license plates could be magnetic so they may be moved from car to car, especially on the stolen ones then theives would be much easier to catch.:=

Onan the Clumsy
11th Apr 2004, 13:43
Who's the worst? Dallas?

In Texas, we have Radio Operator license plates. Would that be enough?

Maybe they should have a law that says if you're on the phone, you're not allowed to have a wreck :confused: :}

flyblue
11th Apr 2004, 14:21
It appears I'm not the only one finding it hard to follow the logics of the first post...what is this thread about???:confused:

AntiCrash
11th Apr 2004, 15:39
Onan, I like your thinking! Have you noticed that everytime there is a horrible airplane crash they always pull these orange "Black Boxes " out of the wreckage? Either they make they make airplanes out of the stuff they make the boxes out of or better yet, they leave the boxes out. Clearly they are the culprit.

To those having difficulty with the thread. Perhaps you would understand it if you were sitting stopped at a light, Fat, Dumb & Happy, untill some prat, rear-ended you without applying the F*#$)ing brakes because they were too busy on the bleeding phone.

Putting the phone number somewhere on the vehicle may get them thinking there may someone with a rather nasty call for them. Of course the police cars would have an unlisted number, we would not to have them bothered. Maybe less folks would chat endlessly instead of paying attention to piloting their damn car. IMHO.

Fujiflyer
11th Apr 2004, 17:29
I'm confused as well...

:confused:

chuks
11th Apr 2004, 17:44
We just got back from a week's holiday on Sicily.

We were picked up at Catania by a big white bus that then took us a third of the way across the island while being piloted by this smiling, affable young fellow who divided his attention between his (very stylish and extremely small) phone, taking and making calls to and from what must be a wide circle of friends and acquaintances and when he wasn't doing that, chatting with the tour guide while, of course, using his hands for emphasis. Occasionally he would input a course correction but the bus seemed to know where it was going.

Outside it was dark and rainy but inside, the atmosphere was quite chatty and amiable, at least right up front. There were a few grumbles in German from the back of the bus about the chat/chauffeuring ratio, but then you cannot please everyone.

Isn't there supposed to be some new EU-wide rule against this sort of thing? Well, we were quite amused a few days later to be bimbling along in another bus going the wrong way up a one-way street. At least we were not alone in this.

It would seem that the Italians take a very sensibly relaxed attitude to much current legislation. On the other hand, we saw zero cars in Palermo without at least one dent or scrape. Some of the older ones looked like a sack full of walnuts.