PDA

View Full Version : Win XP (sp1) Ctrl panel not responding

KwikPhix
11th Apr 2004, 02:26
Hello, Anybody got any ideas why my control panel in Win XP pro should suddenly stop responding. I can't get into it to change any settings. I can get to Start > Contol Panel >Then sometimes the next selection works , ( eg performance and Maint ) but then nothing, just a 'program not rsponding' end now or cancel dialogue box.

Thanks for any advice.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Apr 2004, 04:53
KwikPhix,

How long have you had this install of WinXP? Was it a fresh install or an upgrade?

Have you followed the sticky above to make sure you have removed all the pests from your computer?

Take Care,

Richard

KwikPhix
11th Apr 2004, 10:38
Hello Naples...

The windows XP install was a fresh one onto a brand new HDD. I've also downloaded all the Windows updates for it.
I have built my computer myself a couple of weeks ago, so everything installed is fairly fresh and new. The machine has been working great for a couple of weeks, i just noticed that i couldn't get into Control Panel a couple of days ago. Can i reinstall Windows over the top of my existing Install to re-new and replace any broken bits.
Obviously with a new install I have added some programs that came with my new hardware for a look-see and then un-installed them when i found they weren't for me. Maybe they took something with them or left some excess baggage behind during this process ?
It's still not late into the build process to start over from scratch again but i'd prefer not to.

I'm using Trend PC Cillin AV/Firewall. It came bundled with my Motherboard so I thought i'd give it a try. I've always used Norton In the past and i have a brand new sealed Norton AV 2004 at my disposal . The PC Cillin seems to be pretty good and just blends into the background, I found that Norton always likes to remind you that its there and was in my face all the time.

I'll give the machine an AV scan and install spybot as it's been recommended by others.

Edited to add:
Hmm... it would appear that if i disable PC Cillin immediately after a re-start then my control panel works. If i leave it running in the background then it doesn't. Obviously the AV software is preventing system changes being made. It might be broken or it might be a feature , i'll live with it for a while and see what i think, it's not as if i'm making changes all the time.

Fujiflyer
11th Apr 2004, 15:49
KwikPhix, I'm sorry that I cannot offer advice on your problem but are interested that you are using PC Cillin. I bought it yesterday - so far okay except that I have to disable the firewall in order to be able to access other PC's on my LAN. I could not see an option on the PC Cillin setup menu which will allow unrestricted local access, short of disabling the firewall.

Perhaps give it a few days to see if anyone can help here and then send an email off to Trend,

Fuji

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Apr 2004, 16:38
KwikPhix,

You could try uninstalling PC Cillin and reinstalling it to see if that solves the problem.

Since you built the computer yourself, could you list all the hardware you used and a list of all your IRQs with every device on each IRQ so we could see what you are running.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. The shovelware bundled with hardware is not full retail versions and are often buggy.

steve_moate
12th Apr 2004, 07:07
You could try running the 'Repair' option from the installation CD. If this finds an error with the system, it will normally sort it out.