PDA

View Full Version : future of aviation in africa

seaborne
10th Apr 2004, 21:33
Greetings from canada. Am currently flying out of Toronto doing the business/medical type of flying, but heart is set on africa. Is there a future for foreign pilots overseas? Would like to crack into the larger transport (ie.CV580)market. Have to date 2300 TT 300turbine 1200 multi pic. Any info would be much appreciated. Cheers!!

Goldfish Jack
11th Apr 2004, 05:09
Hey seaborne welcome to Africa!! Rule number 1: It was never built to be easy and rule no 2: carry dollars and dont ask questions!! Rule no 3: When in trouble, smile, dont frown, and refer to rule no 2!!

That aside, things are a bit tough down at the bottom of Africa at the moment. The weak dollar is playing havoc with the charter market, as many quotes are in dollars and the strengthening of the rand is making things difficult for SA charter operators to compete in Africa right now (ask some of the operators how much *&^% they have gotten themselves into).

There are jobs around, but there are a hell of a lot of young SA pilots also looking for work, so the market is very competitive at the moment.

There are some really good operators in SA and you might like to go to their web sites and have a look. (oh did I mention there are also some scally ones?) Dont ask me the legal requirements to convert/validate your license (I try and control these pilots and that is bad enough!!), but try the following sites: (in no particular order). Try the CAA website for those requirements (www.caa.co.za)

www.executiveaerospace.co.za
www.solenta.com
www.rossair.co.za
www.naturelink.co.za
www.comav.com
www.westair.com
www.nac.co.za
www.safair.co.za
www.execujet.com
www.chc.com

These should give you some idea of what goes on down in the bottom of Africa.

That aside, it is not a bad place. Things have changed a lot over the years, but we still live a very good lifestyle and the place is great. Sure we get crime but who doesn't (ps some good jobs going in Baghdad at the moment - take your own accom and food, they cant guarantee your security though)

good luck with your searching