PDA

View Full Version : First Emirates Flight at Glasgow Today!

Deeko01
10th Apr 2004, 18:16
Hi,

Today was the first flight of Emirates new service between Dubai and Glasgow, great to see this route finally start and hopefuly more to come.

This route is apparently chock a block for the next 3-4 months, could this be people power finally telling the likes of the British Airways yes we want to go somewhere in the world but we dont want to go via London.

Mon the MRats!

Cheers Del

sparkymarky
10th Apr 2004, 21:34
There's a good article on this on BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3614817.stm

£100 MILLION contribution to the Scottish economy expected over the next ten years. Great news.

Findo
10th Apr 2004, 23:37
Interesting that it has generated so much publicity when 30 years ago BOAC and companies would only consider a Manchester trans Atlantic service if it was tacked on to the successful Scottish ones.

The intervening centralisation through BA and through London has actually done the UK a great deal of harm. Thank goodness the low cost carriers have realised that those outside London want to travel a geat deal and not via London. Because of those successes Emirates are to be congratulated for recognising the market. BWIA are next and then probably PIA. At last we are seeing a bit of consumer power on the rise :ok:

Just a shame BA didn't recognise the potential years ago and nurture it.

akerosid
11th Apr 2004, 18:37
It's very encouraging to see how the Scottish executive has emphasised the importance of aviation as a contributor to economic growth. I wonder what kind of incentives, if any, were offered to EK. Whatever they gave them, I wish the Irish authorities would do the same.

It galls me that if one suggests that a direct route should be established to the far east, you'll get the usual "can't interfere in the free market" garbage, whereas they're perfectly happy to continue obstructing growth on t/a flights from Dublin.

Let's hope 2005 will see Emirates (or some other Asian/ME) carrier flying to Dublin.

PocaHostie
13th Apr 2004, 10:04
Don't forget to mention that the Hosties look FAB...!! :ok: :ok: :ok:

Makes a pleasant change to walk through Glasgow Airport and see some decent "eye candy"....!!!

Ooops... I expect the PC Brigade will have something to say ....... I'll get me coat.....!!!!

:\ :\

BillyBoy
14th Apr 2004, 13:31
Heard it is wide open during June/July. Good for the old standby me thinks :D :D

no, no, no
14th Apr 2004, 14:00
you may also have to consider that these flights are going so well as flights to the Middle East and onwards with Middle Eastern carriers are cheaper due to their low cost base and ownership and support of the rich countries and their shiekhs!!!! Emirates especially benefit from the Government owning DXB airport - hence passing on huge savings to an already cash-rich airline!!!

I know the regions are important, but I can understand BA in a way of focusing their eforts in one place where they can have economies of scale, and feeder flights - they are a business after all!!! No one moans in the States when they have to always go through a hub (eg San Diego flights don't go direct)........

And before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying it's good or bad (you should try living in the Midlands at some point where you get neither feed nor directs....), but you have to see why BA made the choices they did!!!!

Lastly, you have to consider that it's easier for an overseas airline to fly to a UK regional point as they already have the structure and cost of a base at one end - a UK carrier flying from GLA for example would have to invest in having a full base set up their with multiple aircraft to make it worthwhile!!!)