PDA

View Full Version : ba cancellation policy. I am suspicious that my flight from southampton to glasgow

davbak
10th Apr 2004, 11:25
I am suspicious that my flight from southampton to glasgow on 12/3/04 and return 14/3/04 were cancelled because it was uneconomic to operate. This was vehemently denied by ba staff. Can anyone advise which aircraft is used on this flight as we are trying to gain considerable compensation. Is it likely that ba would pretend to a technical fault or aircrew illness in order to save operating cost? any answers treated in strict confidence. thanks

Wannabe Flyboy
10th Apr 2004, 12:06
I'm not 100% sure but it is probably operated by an EMB-145 (either that or a Dash-8).

sparkymarky
10th Apr 2004, 14:57
I flew Edinburgh to Southampton a while back on an EMB-145 so presuming the same applies from Glasgow.

hgrubb
10th Apr 2004, 17:41
No way man in the world would it be a lie to cover up as you suggest - i feel offended .
Ok so i am biased as i work for the airline on these types of routes - but i can assure you in all the years I've worked i have yet to see one of our flights cancelled unless there were either insufficient crew to operate or a tech problem with the aircraft both of which mean the aircraft is not safe to fly! Its not cost effective or good for buisness just to suddenly pull flights and upset not just everyone booked on fly as pax on it but also the crew who are waiting in the crew room expecting to operate it .
Please don't be so suspicious - its not a big conspiracy just a fact of life things go woring with aircraft and rostering plans.

Young Paul
10th Apr 2004, 18:30
"Considerable compensation"???!!!

Good grief. Did you miss your mum's funeral, a key appointment at hospital, a job interview, or are you another compensation junkie? What alternatives were offered? I bet you weren't just stranded.

It's people pursuing gratuitous compensation that are pushing insurance premiums up, deflating already poor endowment policy returns, killing off general aviation and soaking up loads of money that would otherwise be available to pay for operations in the NHS.

Can't people just let people do their jobs to the best of their ability and save your claims for compensation for when things really hurt?!

FinalsToLand
10th Apr 2004, 21:11
Ohh i love it when people demand compensation for things like cancelled flights,
Taken from ba's site in the terms and conditions which you agree to prior to making any booking:--

"If we:

cancel a flight
fail to operate a flight reasonably according to the schedule
fail to stop at your place of stopover or destination or
cause you to miss a connecting flight on which you hold a confirmed reservation
you can choose one of the three remedies set out immediately below.

Remedy 1
We will carry you as soon as we can on another of our scheduled services on which a seat is available. If we do this, we will not charge you extra and where necessary, will extend the validity period of your ticket.

Remedy 2
We will re-route you within a reasonable period of time to the destination shown on your ticket using either our services or those of another airline, or by some other means which you have agreed with us can be used (for example, by rail). If you are re-routed, we will not charge you extra. If the fare, taxes, fees and charges for the re-routed journey are lower than the amount you have already paid, we will refund you the difference.

Remedy 3
We will give you an involuntary fare refund.

The above three remedies will be the only remedies available to you and we will have no further liability to you except as may be provided by the convention."

So which one were you offered?

Im pretty sure "no futher liability" sorta screws your compensation claim.

F.T.L

sixmilehighclub
12th Apr 2004, 13:10
Sorry, but if you read the rules of carriage, when you purchase a ticket, the airline only has to get you from A to B, not necessarily on that day, or directly, or to the exact same airport.

They do however try to be as reasonable as possible and offer alternatives as good as possible.

Flights get cancelled for all reasons, and yes, sometimes because it isnt ethical to run the flight. But, this then means that wherever that aircraft is due to go after that, it messes up the entire schedule.

Its more likely, the aircraft was required elswere, or there was a tech problem and it had to go in for an unscheduled check which can take up to 7 days). BA would rather you fly on a delayed safe aircraft, rather than put you on one that doesnt get there.

I have known BA to accept passengers from other airlines who have cancelled flights for all sorts of reasons, without charge to the passenger. I also know they wouldnt lie to you as their policy is honesty. Aviation is too much of a small world to get away with it, and BA have too many aviation related people on their flights to risk it.

If the airline told you.... actually davbak, looking back over your post, what were you told was the reason, you didnt say??!!!!

Even if they were saving money, name me one company who doesnt try to save money occasionally?????

Memetic
12th Apr 2004, 22:54
Flights get cancelled for all reasons, and yes, sometimes because it isnt ethical to run the flight. But, this then means that wherever that aircraft is due to go after that, it messes up the entire schedule.

Cold feet over inflight catering?

davbak - Based on recent experience (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124571) of BA going a long way in service terms to get passengers to their destinations that BA would have operated this flight if they could have.

Just out of interest, what are you asking them for and why is it so "considerable"?

Memetic