View Full Version : Time to leave

STANDTO
10th Apr 2004, 10:16
Notwithstanding that:

1. There will be a huge humanitarian crisis

2. A considerable loss of face

3. New administrations inthe UK and US very shortly after;

Is there not a case for;

'Dear People of Iraq. We did what we originally set out to do, that is, remove Saddam Hussein from his rule of terror, therefore liberating you from his clutches. At first, the majority of you seemed grateful, but now, it appears the view is that you no longer wish us to be present, to ensure the stable future of your country.

To this end, we are sorry we can be of no further help, and will be leaving a week on Wednesday. We wish you well for the future, and look forward to hearing from you if there is anything further we can do'

Training Risky
10th Apr 2004, 11:59
I'm all in favour of pulling out.

It's just that I can forsee all the lefty Guardian-reading tree-hugging liberals response to this:

"What are the Western nations doing leaving such a lawless state like this... something must be done!... get back in there and sort it out.... Don't let another Rwanda/Bosnia happen!"

(Not my view - but one which I think will prevent us leaving until the CPA have it contained)

smartman
10th Apr 2004, 12:37
STANDTO

Tend to agree. But, aside from all else, I would imagine your Point 3 alone will guarantee we instead stay- or maybe Blair and his cronies are damned whatever they do? And then there's the oil --

STANDTO
10th Apr 2004, 16:39
This situation is unwinnable, and even a nuclear option wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. It slackened the (then) fanatical Japanese back in WWII, but the Islamic extremist is a totally different person.

It doesn't make it right, but I say let them get on with it. There is enough resourcefulness in the coalition ( I nearly said civilised) nations to manage without vast tracts of oil-rich land. True, it won't be easy, but if we don't bother them, then there is a chance they won't bother us.

We all know what we sign up for when we join the military, but this is tantamount to sending the boys and girls 'over the top' in WWI. Throw as many as you like at it, but it won't make a difference.

Most folks would feel a lot better if they felt safe in their own back yard. The world will end up a shrinking place, but be no worse for it.

AllTrimDoubt
10th Apr 2004, 16:54
Ungrateful lot of little s*ds, aren't they? Give them Saddam back.

autosync
11th Apr 2004, 03:05
It would be good to see them sort out there own mess, but history has proven that won't happen.
And unless the job is seen through untill the very end, it will only come back to haunt the rest of the world.

jingly
11th Apr 2004, 09:43
bring back the Empire i say
we should take there oil and kill all who stand in our way. hoorah

AllTrimDoubt
11th Apr 2004, 12:31
bring back the Empire i say
we should take there oil and kill all who stand in our way. hoorah

Right behind you old chap!

Avoiding Action
12th Apr 2004, 18:41
Me too!

At least 40 miles behind you, in a vain attempt to move my drinks cabinet closer to Baghdad:E :E :E

Grimweasel
12th Apr 2004, 19:23
Ahhhh........the Empire, past glories etc. Days of the great roaming and conquering the world. Damn Right, bring it back. At least all those countries were well managed and looked after under the empire. Look what self rule did to most of them. Rhodesia, case in point!!! etc

Dr Falken
13th Apr 2004, 21:02
The Empire? With the Dark Side now in control? Did the UN Weapons Inspectors not play a Jedi Mind Trick on us:

"These are not the Weapons of Mass Destruction you are looking for"

Am I remembering the correct Empire?

You're right about Rhodesia, though.

(Beware there/their confusions! :\ )