PDA

View Full Version : To car seat or not?

Downtown
10th Apr 2004, 06:39
I have travelled extensively with my daughter when she was an infant and always used a car seat. She is now 2 and we are travelling to SYD-LAX next month. I am debating about not using a car seat this time. I thought there might be more room for her, she would be able to use the fold down table and not kick the seat in front of her. She weighs about 13kgs. Just wondering what other parents have done at this age? Thanks.

amanoffewwords
10th Apr 2004, 16:01
Mrs Words is of the opinion that it would be better to go without a car seat as your daughter is more likely to want to move around (as you said). We never took a car seat, but that's because I refused to carry one as well as the seventeen pieces of luggage you otherwise need to maintain the quality of life of a toddler/infant on the move.

amofw

sixmilehighclub
12th Apr 2004, 12:23
Take a small pillow or rolled up blanket instead as when they fall asleep they tend to rest their head on a hard armrest. Natuarally some arlines supply these anyway.

The best thing I've seen so far are those little childrens inflatable neck pillows.

Having the spare room is great for a child. Trying to strap them in to a big seat after they have been wriggling around freely for a while is a different story!!!

Not sure what the rules are on carseats either. Country laws differ so please check with the airline before travelling. Some airlines have age limits for use of carseats and in the uk for example, carseats must bear the british safety standards mark to be used onboard. Also in the uk, carseats can only be used for 6months to 3 years old.

Happy travelling!

BEagle
12th Apr 2004, 12:58
Just put the child in a soundproof steel trunk secured firmly to the floor of the cargo hold.

OK - a bit harsh. With a blanket.

No of course I wasn't being serious!;)