PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice

ratsarrse
10th Apr 2004, 01:44
I'm currently downloading OpenOffice. Any users of this product out there? Obviously, I'm about to find out all about it for myself, but I was wondering if any long-term users can give me a 'heads-up' on any potential pitfalls I should look out for, or some general opinions.

Cheers.

Mac the Knife
10th Apr 2004, 05:47
Fair warning: I'm talking about the Linux version, not the Windows version that I suspect that you are downloading. I notice that the OOo downloads are 1.0.2 rather than the 1.1.1 that I use. I only used 1.0.2 for a bit and 1.1.1 is IMHO quite a bit better.

It's very good. Essentially it can do pretty much everything MSOffice does and then some. It isn't as polished as MSOffice and you'll find a couple of small irritations along the way. Importing .ppt presentations can take quite a while. Best not to expect it to be an MSOffice clone in terms of behavior or you'll be disappointed. OTOH it does have some features and tricks that MSOffice doesn't. Good luck!

And it doesn't cost 350 quid....

amanoffewwords
10th Apr 2004, 16:22
I'm using OOo 1.1.1 for about 50% of my day to day work.

I have successfully converted several spreadsheets from Excel to OOo and currently use the Text application to write the notes for the Open University course I'm doing, though I don't yet trust it enough to send electronic assignments to my tutor as there is requirement for them to be word 97 compatible.

I like the built-in PDF converter (M$ take note) but am missing the print a label/enveloppe from an address feature (it can do but not as smoothly as M$'s). Like Mac said it's not quite all there but they're working on it.

I look forward to version 2 when hopefully I can kiss M$ goodbye...!

amofw

goates
10th Apr 2004, 17:54
The hardest part I found with OOo is the preferences/settings. They are definitely not layed like MS Office, or any other program I have used. To me it seemed to be a little too complicated to change paper sizes for example. Otherwise I found it to be a pretty good office suite if you don't need the power of MS Office. I will have to see what they do with version 2 for sure.

goates

Guern
10th Apr 2004, 18:11
It works fine for me and saved me a packet!

amanoffewwords
10th Apr 2004, 18:28
Good point goates -

1.1 reminded me that switching off the automation is a bit of a pig too...
1.2 can't find how to turn off auto-numbering at the moment.
1.3 kinda driving me crazy.
1.4 And I hate the auto-complete (like you get on cellphones)....
1.5 Still, it's free....for the moment..

amofw

Memetic
11th Apr 2004, 11:31
I use MS Office XP at work but have OO on my personal "XP home" based laptop as well as on this Desktop which is running SUSE 9.

I regularly work form home using OO to creat and edit docs for work with no problems (Well the way Office converts OO highlighting is odd but I know how to remove it in word now!)

There are minior differences between Office and OO but I'd say no worse than between versions of Office.

Personally I like the auto complete in OO it's very intelligent.

And amanoffewwords Open Office will always be free, it has to be by the terms of it's licence agreement. However you can buy it with professional support from Sun as Staroffice.

amanoffewwords
22nd Mar 2005, 12:36
Anyone tried OO ver 2.0 (beta) yet? - just downloading it as I write - I hope it'll be good enough to allow me to ditch M$ for good..

amofw