PDA

View Full Version : Void Plurals

paulo
9th Apr 2004, 23:52
I think I must be in a mood. A pedantic and grumpy one. To get started, on a mostly retail theme (inspired by another thread I admit)...

Tesco - There's just the one s.
Sainsbury - Yup, it ends in 'y'.
Marks and Spencer - Just the one Spencer.
Safeway - getting predictable now.
but... oh this does bug me...

Trivial Pursuit. (and NO, there isn't a 'Genius' edition). :rolleyes:

Right, that's enough of that. I'm just nipping down Asdas... :}

[edited for a typo - oh the shame ;) ]

Ozzy
10th Apr 2004, 01:31
what's the point of this thread?

Menzie

Texa

Witherspoon

etc etc

this is silly

Ozzy

ratsarrse
10th Apr 2004, 01:37
When people say 'Tescos' or 'Sainsburys' I think they actually mean to say Tesco's or Sainsbury's. This is, of course, the silent pronunciation (and invisible spelling) of the phrases Tesco's supermarket and Sainsbury's supermarket. Can you tell that I'm quite bored?

cribble
10th Apr 2004, 05:33
:confused:
Ok, ya got me on "Trival Pursuit". Is that a type of Trivial Pursuit?

IB4138
10th Apr 2004, 08:04
We have just had the debate on two radio stations about the word...

EURO

Seems it doesn't have a plural.

ie: correct is 45euro; incorrect is 45 euros.

Personally, as long as I understand, I don't give a ......!:p

spork
10th Apr 2004, 09:32
paulo is pedantically correct of course.

ratsarrse is correct in providing the common usage which paulo pedantically neglects to take into account.

Trival is a typo - careless but still just a typo. Not worth getting pedantic about. (is anything?)

As for Euros and pennies and cents ad nauseam... The usage varies according to the context. On the day that radio stations decide on usage and abusage we are all lost!

BlueWolf
10th Apr 2004, 11:47
Well it's plain silly for Euro not to have a plural. I mean, the pound has pounds, the dollar has dollars, back in the old sensible days the pesata had pesatas, the mark had marks, and even the franc had francs, didn't it? Hmmm....on reflection, maybe it didn't. Perhaps therein lies the problem.

Lack of a plural for the Euro reflects a stupid nomenclature behind a silly idea for a pointless currency with the bad intention of uniting an ununitable continent in the name of a dumb ideology, and the whole bizarre mess is destined to fail spectacularly.

You're better off out of it; as you obviously realise as a nation.

BombayDuck
10th Apr 2004, 12:35
void plural?

don't you mean void main()? :E

And I guess it should be Sainsbury's, TESCO's.... would that make it grammatically correct?

paulo
10th Apr 2004, 12:57
So why not BP's (petrol station) or IKEA's (furniture store)?

There must be some sort of subconscious rule to this.

It's not a food store thing, otherwise we'd say "Iceland's"...

...maybe it's where it's from a personal name.

[yes, I am this bored. I think I ought to go out. :p]

IB4138
10th Apr 2004, 13:14
Hmm:hmm:
Who mentioned food?

MacDonalds already have the "s" in their name.

I'll just nip out for a quatro libre con queso!:ok:

The Nr Fairy
10th Apr 2004, 18:39
For me there is no plural of "shag" - it's always in the singular.

Ozzy
10th Apr 2004, 18:54
sheep, lice, rice?

Ozzy

Hansard
10th Apr 2004, 19:16
lice is plural
louse is singular

Ozzy
10th Apr 2004, 19:22
darn it, never seen just one lice :E

Ozzy

Ripline
10th Apr 2004, 21:37
Funny, that. Baht (Thai currency) doesn't seem to have a plural form either.

Euro should, in my view. Does this follow any rules of grammar? or it it down to convention, in which case, No Rule, err ..Rules!:O

Ripline

Davaar
10th Apr 2004, 22:07

Quite right, BlueWolf, and it was just as silly for the Brits to bring in their decimal currency years ago with "pence" in the plural form only, for which the unit was "one pence", after centuries of having the penny.

Ojuka
10th Apr 2004, 22:15
DeanS Cross has to be the all time most mispronounced R/T plural.

eko4me
10th Apr 2004, 22:42
The South African Rand officially has no plural. Often see it used though unofficially.

Davaar, ISTR that the term One New Pence (1p) was deliberately used at the time of decimalisation to distinguish it from one penny (1d).

For many years now the 1p coin has One Penny on its reverse.

Even more strange is the US. Apparently the plural for one penny is two cents! :)

singaporegirl
10th Apr 2004, 23:03
May be an urban myth, but I thought 'euros' means 'urine' in Greek, so they decided not to pluralise it. (Or maybe they were taking the p*ss. :rolleyes: )

'Renminbi' in Chinese has no plural, because it means people's currency, and the people have only one currency.

OllyBeak
11th Apr 2004, 01:15
A friend of mine was teaching public speaking. One lady got up to deliver her piece which included the phrase, "... and we took many luggages with us."

"No," the teacher said. "Not luggages."

"No?"

"No."

The girl looked a bit puzzled for a while, then; "Ah! We took many baggages with us. Can?"

And is durian the plural? Or is it durians? Who can eat two, anyway?

Ol.

Onan the Clumsy
11th Apr 2004, 02:00
Forget the Void Plural...what about the unecessary definate article

Is it Ukraine, or The Ukraine?

Davaar
11th Apr 2004, 04:01
Could be, eko; and to fit the numbers, I say again, Could be.

Smeagol
11th Apr 2004, 05:57
I have a particular aversion to the use of 'equipments' for more than one item.

Seems to be a particular favourite of our cousins from the Indian sub-continents.

Anyone explain why?

Smeagol

chuks
11th Apr 2004, 17:31
An odd one to me is that in the States, one reports on 'short final' where in some other places one reports on 'short finals'.

I never did like the sound of being on the 'final approach'. It tended to suggest there was something sudden and deeply unpleasant coming up in the short distance (four nautical miles or less) left to cover until either the landing or the arrival.

Does someone know the derivation of the term 'finals' from, I assume, 'final'?

Davaar
12th Apr 2004, 16:27
1. a long ways from here.
2. in regards to.

reynoldsno1
12th Apr 2004, 21:53
In the US there appears to be a plural of accommodation when referring to places where people may live....
Such is the plurality of the English language...

reynoldsno1
13th Apr 2004, 04:12
the second person plural which does not exist in English (outside the Glasgow area)
Alive and well in many parts downunder and the US - in common use in perfidious Albion up to the 17th C I believe....