PDA

View Full Version : USB ADSL Modem

Timothy
9th Apr 2004, 23:35
This is probably a really, really stupid question for a so-called pro to ask, but I haven't had to deal with this stuff for a long time!

My father-in-law has a Win98 laptop and has bought ADSL.

Rather than let him buy more than he needed, I have passed on to him the USB ADSL Modem that came with my ADSL, because I have long since graduated to a WiFi router. The CD for the modem has gone the way of all flesh and so I downloaded the drivers.

So far so good, I have W98 laptop with an ADSL modem sitting fat dumb and happy on a USB port, green lights doing what green lights should do, "This device is working properly" glowing proudly from the screen.

All that is left is to set up a DUN account and Bob should be my Uncle.

But the ADSL modem doesn't appear in the list of modems, so I can't set up the connection.

So please will someone embarrass me to mortification by telling me the missing link I have forgotten.

Ta

Timothy

Keef
9th Apr 2004, 23:42
Um ... er ... well, I did it years ago, but I can't remember either.

Is it, perchance, an Alcatel frog? Or does he want one of those? I have one here surplus to req'ts. I also have the CDROM for setting that up and could soon post it to you. Or FTP you the contents of the CD.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Apr 2004, 23:45
Timothy,

With an ADSL Modem you do not use DUN, you use PPPoE. All you need is the PPPoE Program from the company providing the ADSL Service into your father-in-law's house.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If not, WinPoet works great with Win98SE. ;)

Keef
9th Apr 2004, 23:53
Richard

I think the Alcatel frog is different - it uses DUN, with an add-in that it installs during the setup process. I used one till recently - it wasn't PPPoE, for whatever reason.

I've sent Timothy a copy of the installation CD now, so all should be well.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Apr 2004, 00:04
Keef,

Sounds good. That is great of you to send him the CD. :ok:

All the best,

Richard

P.S. When will we be seeing you in Naples again?

Timothy
10th Apr 2004, 08:08
Thank you both. I am already standing by the front door, waiting breathlessly for the postman, or mail-man as he is in Naples, (or is he a Postino in Naples?).

Isn't it odd how in the US of A the Mail-man delivers the Post, whereas here, in the Bard's own Sceptre'd Isle, the postman delivers the mail?

Timothy

fobotcso
10th Apr 2004, 08:22
Nice to see this happy resolution but, for future reference, Tim could probably got what he wanted from the Web.

When I read the start of his post I thought "that's just me last week!"

My client dumped all his new kit on me before he legged it to the WW2 battlefields in Belgium for a nostalgic tour. Then he dumped the Intel AnyPoint DSl 3240 (USB) equivalent of the Frog - sans CD!

No difficulty finding the whole instructions and BT Downloads from a combination of Intel and BT sites. Always worth a try.

Keef
11th Apr 2004, 23:34
Hi Richard - I keep sending friends to you, but I have no plans to return to Florida in the immediate future. Cusco and I are off to California this Thursday for two weeks of sightseeing - if they let us in!

PretoriaSillyperson
12th Apr 2004, 13:16
I love being pedantic, so -

ADSL Modems aren't Modems - they've no need to Modulate and Demodulate an analogue line since the signals on the line are already digital - like the ones wot the PC uses.

Ooh - I DID enjoy that.

I thank you,

PSP

Fujiflyer
12th Apr 2004, 15:41
PretoriaSillyperson, I thought they used Spread Spectrum Modulation???

Timothy
12th Apr 2004, 15:55
Roll on the end of the long weekend, so people have something to do. :p

PretoriaSillyperson
12th Apr 2004, 16:40
Nope - the Spectrum only had a 128K Spread and the Mod won't let me play Jet Set Willy in the bedroom anymore.

Yep - looking forward to work tomorrow!

PSP:O

Keef
12th Apr 2004, 18:03
The ADSL signal is carried on a "carrier wave", and has to be removed from that carrier and converted to a digital signal at each end. That's a pretty good definition of demodulation in my book.

Pedants of the world unite (or something).

Ausatco
13th Apr 2004, 12:54
Dyslexics of the world, untie!

Sorry

AA

BOAC
13th Apr 2004, 13:05
OK - what is this ASL UBSD thingy?

Sorry ^2 :D