PDA

View Full Version : Seat belts

wawkrk
9th Apr 2004, 13:50
I was reading about the recent incident with Iberia when more than 40 people were injured by severe turbulence.
I wonder,were any of these passengers wearing seat belts irrespective if the sign was on or not.What do the Airlines think about this.
KLM always advise keeping the seatbelt fastened but I reckon all the inexperienced travellers take them off.
For the record,I keep mine on, after travelling on around 2000 flights,I know better.If it is completely safe to take them off,why do the pilots remain strapped in.
I was on a flight last summer with LOT from Krakow to Warsaw on a 737.The seatbelt sign was not yet on as we began our decent.The cabin crew were collecting rubbish with bin bags.
As we entered a cloud we hit severe turbulence.The cabin crew were spreadeagled in the aisles grasping the seatframes.
Some passengers were thrown from their seats and it was difficult to remain in the seat even with the seatbelt on.
This was I imagine totally unexpected,or was it?Can it not happen at anytime?
Many more flights these days seem to be turbulent.
So,should the rules be changed to seatbelts all time when seated?

bafanguy
9th Apr 2004, 14:31
The problem with pax and seatbelts is that, not matter if you have regs or just make PA advisories, to keep the belts fastened...you just can't get everyone to do it. And, if you can't, what can you do about THAT ? You can't whack 'em with a fire extinguisher and trying to take legal action against someone who fails to follow gov. regs just won't happen.

So, at least once a year, you see a news account of a bunch of pax getting splattered off the ceiling. Well, we're all big boys and girls, aren't we ?

Jerricho
9th Apr 2004, 14:37
Would it be a problem making it mandatory while being seated. Seatbelts are a requirement while travelling in a car in many countries throughout the world, why can't this be applied to air travel? (Just a thought)

galley-wench22
13th Apr 2004, 10:14
It would take some time to educate people if a rule like that was to be brought in.

On asking a pax to fasten their belt whilst seated, I can imagine a reply such as "well I will stand up/go for a walk round the cabin then. If I am allowed to walk around, then why should I have to wear my seat belt whilst seated!!"

Its bad enough getting folk to strap in whilst in the decent never mind at all other times too!

flybhx
17th Apr 2004, 13:23
It never ceases to amaze me at the number of passengers who decide to go for a walk round the cabin, have a chat, use the toilet etc as soon as the seat belt sign goes on. When told to sit down by the FA's they just look totally dumbounded.

Jerricho
17th Apr 2004, 16:36
Totally dumbfounded and totally ignorant of the fact that what is being asked is for their own saftey. And of course if something unfortunate as what happened with this Iberia flight what are the chances they will try and sue the airline. Were you sitting down? Did you have your belt on? Oh, you were and you didn't..........nice try.

mini
18th Apr 2004, 21:18
I would have thought that this was an issue of common sense?

A fastened seatbelt doesn't have to be so tight as to be uncomfortable, at least not when the sign has been extinguished.

Its a bit like speeding, drunken driving etc. all about attitude.

Jerricho
18th Apr 2004, 21:24
Unfortunately common sense is something that is left at home when people travel by air.

barbiegirl
19th Apr 2004, 10:35
it always annoys me that the moment the wheels touch the ground on landing, you hear the clicking of seatbelts being removed. some people will do it when you are sat right in front of them and look at you as if you are stupid when you ask them to put it back on. Do they not realise there is a good reason crew keep their harnesses on till the aircarft has stopped?

Drap-air
19th Apr 2004, 22:00
I saw some american bloke on a flight to florida a few weeks ago end up with an immediate upgrade! as soon as, and i mean as soo as the wheels touched the ground, this guy was up opening the overhead locker to get his belongings, total nutter!

I don't think airlines can keep seat beat sign on during flight, first pax to get dvt and airline would be to blame!!!

sixmilehighclub
20th Apr 2004, 11:49
Barbiegirl, I second that!!

I used to get annoyed when people would spring up out of their seats still coming off the runway. Even three PAs wouldnt get the message over!!! - of course it doesnt apply to them does it??

Would they stand up in a car at 60 mph?? 40? 20? Even buses and trains have someting to hold onto, what does an aircraft have other than another passengers head?!!

Times in the past Ive risked my safety and walked down the cabin on taxy asked people to refasten their seatbelts or sit down. Once I even dived to catch a bottle of vodka falling out of an overhead bin as someone had stood up and opened the bin. Do they think theyd get off the aircraft quicker if they got all their stuff ready? They still have to wait for the people in front of them to get their stuff, then theres customs, baggage reclaim..... what is the point??

Rant over!

Six

:ok:

DX Wombat
21st Apr 2004, 15:22
QANTAS "require" you to keep your seatbelt on at all times. :ok: The worst passengers in my own experience are those on the LHR to MAN shuttle and in particular many of the business people.:mad: Not only do many of them stand up and get their things out of the lockers, they also use them as weapons to ensure that they bully their way forward as fast as possible :mad: I have now resorted to asking for a window seat (I really prefer the aisle) and waiting until the last ones have gone past me before departing in peace. I'm often the last one off but believe me, it's safer that way :} :ok:

PAXboy
21st Apr 2004, 18:36
Agreed there, DX W! If I am at the front and have only a carry on, then I might get off right away but if I have checked baggage I am probably last off. Hanging back also give me time to ensure that I "have not left any of your personal belongings behind." :p

When I have done a long haul and there is a separate exit from C or F at the front, I still am last off! I can enjoy having my feet up a bit longer and then thank the staff and make may way down to the carousel. By this time (hopefully) the worst of the crush is past and I can pick my case off without being shoved aside.

Overall, it might add five minutes to a short haul and up to 15 for a longhaul. Hey, life's too short and those last minute chats with the cabin staff are usually pleasant as the pressure is off them.

Avman
21st Apr 2004, 21:12
Yep, I'm last off too with one exception, arriving in the USA on a 747! Then I kill to be sure to reach imigration first and not have to take two hours to clear!

radeng
22nd Apr 2004, 11:26
How about an electric lock on seat belts so they can't be undone?

Only joking, but it would be nice to see some of the fellow slf do as they're told. Some of 'em don't like it being pointed out that they're a danger to other passengers standing up when they do. They'd probably like it less if you sued 'em if they caused you an injury. Wonder what the position would be in the US?

Evening Star
22nd Apr 2004, 11:52
Add my agreement to barbiegirl and sixmilehighclub. Very impressed once by a KLM purser on an AMS>SVO flight who used personal humiliation as a means of getting somebody to sit down: "... remain seated with your seatbelts fastened until the seat belt sign is switched off ... and that includes YOU sir ... yes you ... the one with glasses ... SIT DOWN!" delivered in a Dutch accent otherwise used as a flick knife. Very effective it was, entire pax load on B737 had good look at miscreant.

(Mind, while I tend to take the same view as PAXboy, this was SVO where any measures to get to the front of the queue at passport control is a good move.)