PDA

View Full Version : Partition on XP Pro

PretoriaSillyperson
8th Apr 2004, 19:51
Is it possible to create a partition on my HDD to install 2000 Server? I have 20 Gigs on a single disk / volume and am currently running XP Pro. When I go in Comp. Management the "right click" option to create a partition isn't allowed. Must I then reinstall XP and create the 2003 Server partition then?

Thanks,

PSP

goates
8th Apr 2004, 20:30
If there is no free hard drive space, you will need to repartition the drive to create a second partition. The cheapest, but most time consuming way is to reformat the entire drive and reinstall XP and install 2000 server. Another method is to buy a program like PowerQuest's Partition Magic or Acronis' Partition Expert, which can resize existing partitions and create new ones.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Apr 2004, 20:36
PretoriaSillyperson,

If your drive has that little bit of space left, I would think about adding a second Hard Drive. Then you could use the NT Boot Manager to pick which drive to boot from.

Take Care,

Richard

BlueEagle
8th Apr 2004, 23:16
I did a partition on my HDD using Partition Magic 8.0, (earlier versions don't seem to work with XP), went like a dream, now takes a lot less than six hours to scan my 80GB HDD!:8