PDA

View Full Version : To dream the impossible dream?

Xeque
8th Apr 2004, 16:36
Humour me people, as I am about to bang on, yet again, about a subject most dear to my heart.

ALTERNATIVES TO PRESENT DAY AIRLINE TRAVEL

Why do we do it? Why do we, the one’s who do not have the infinite resources to pay for First or Business Class, subject ourselves to the torment and discomfort of hours spent in seats 20 inches wide and with seat pitches sometimes as little as 27 inches and never more than 32 inches?

Is it really about speed or have we allowed ourselves to be ‘bedazzled’ by advertising. Do we really need to be in Sydney in 22 hours, Bangkok in 13?

The answer in all honesty is, “No!”

Suppose I were to say to you that it was possible to travel from London to Sydney or Melbourne in 3 days (eastbound) or 4 days (return) – actual flight time would be 68 to 70 hours taking into account time zone changes and with stops in (say) Bahrain and Singapore.

Suppose I were to say to you that it was possible to travel from London to New York overnight.

Suppose I were also to say to you that it would cost you no more than the cost of an (undiscounted) Economy Class fare.

And what would you get?

First of all a full size bed in a cabin where you can get a proper night’s sleep or as a cheaper alternative, a 6 foot fully reclined couchette of the type that current First and Business Class passengers pay a fortune for.

Next, a separate area in which to eat Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner at regular meal times sitting on real seats and eating off real tables.

And in between meals, space to walk about, lean on a rail and watch the scenery pass below you at no more than 12,000 feet. In the evening after dinner there would be room to relax in comfort, even to dance!

I know what you’re saying. “This man is mad. What is he waffling on about?”

I’m talking about an airship, that’s what!

A 100-metre long 20-metre diameter airship contains sufficient lift, using helium, to support a shade under 29,000 Kg maximum all up weight.

Don’t believe me? Do the math yourself. If you can’t remember your volume calculations from school days there are plenty of sites on the internet that will do the calculations for you.

One cubic metre of helium will support 1.02 Kg (Hydrogen is much more efficient than Helium). Use that to support a passenger module 30 meters long by 8 meters wide accommodating 30 passengers in 2 berth cabins and 24 in couchettes and 6 crew to man the vessel.

60 people at an average 85 Kilos each totals 5,100 kg. Add a baggage allowance of 30 Kg each and that puts the human ‘cargo’ element at 6,900 Kg, say 7,000 Kg to round it out.

This leaves 22,000 Kg for the weight of the airship itself including propulsion, fuel, food and beverages. With today’s composite building materials, GRP, carbon fibres and the like, that is not an impossibility.

Move the ship using electrically driven ducted fans with power provided by hydrogen powered generators supplemented by solar cells on the upper surfaces of the envelope.

Designed to operate at or below 12,000 feet, there will be no need for pressurisation and the associated overhead in building and maintenance costs that this generates.

My researches indicate that 120 knots is the optimum speed for LTA craft in terms of fuel burn and efficiency. That fits in nicely with my vision of 24 hour (or so) 2,500 to 3000 NM mile sectors.

If, instead of helium, encapsulated hydrogen were used for the lifting medium then the whole thing becomes even more efficient.

Could we make this a real discussion about a viable alternative to what the airlines force upon us? I have deck plans and drawings that I would be happy to send. Contact me on [email protected] and I will be happy to e-mail them to you.

As for supporting data, use the internet. There is a wealth of supportive information out there to prove that what I propose is, indeed, viable and potentially profitable.

I’m not saying that we should do away with conventional, fixed wing aircraft on long haul routes. There will always be the lunatic who “just has to be back in Bahrain by 8am tomorrow” (old BA advert).

Airships could operate to a limited number of strategic hubs worldwide with local airlines providing onward travel. That would be good for everyone.

In the meantime, can you just imagine the pleasure of having a last nightcap in the lounge then going off to your cabin for a good night’s sleep followed by a shower and change of clothing the following morning?

Globaliser
8th Apr 2004, 17:02
Xeque: Do we really need to be in Sydney in 22 hours, Bangkok in 13? Actually, the answer is sometimes "yes". This makes it possible for me to do a full day's work in London on a Friday, fly to Hong Kong to see family at the weekend, and be back at my desk in London first thing on Monday morning. This is becoming a regular - though fortunately relatively infrequent - event.

PAXboy
8th Apr 2004, 17:13
Xeque: Unfortunately, it is the people who pay the people who sit at the front of the aircraft that get to make the choices.

One simple example, the sector from LHR to JNB, South Africa: The flying time is 10.5 / 11.0 hours but the time change is one or two (max). The a/c leaves LHR in the evening and arrives in the early morning. So it could turn in two hours and depart around 10:00 am, ready to turn and start again, giving max utilisation.

Nope! It sits on the ground at Joburg for about 12 hours and makes a night time return because it is a business route. Holiday pax just have to put up with the fact that their tickets are more expensive to cover the cost of the 12 hour layover. Might not be the best example but a simple one, I think.

The idea of air-ship cruises will probably return but only when fuel is very much more expensive - for one.

That said, I think I agree with you. :)

Xeque
8th Apr 2004, 17:41
Paxboy:

I should have also have stated that the crew would stay with the ship for the whole of the round trip, they have cabins too.

No hotels etc . It will be watch keeping just like the old passenger ships.

Final 3 Greens
8th Apr 2004, 17:55
Xeque

It will cost a fortune, because the airship will be much less efficient than a 747 or 380.

In the time it takes to get to Oz and back , the jet (and crew) will have done 5 or 6 trips and carried about 2500 pax, some premium, many cattle.

Also, how do you think pax will react to being flung around by flying 'through the weather', when they are used to cruising above it?

Airships, they tend to 'wallow', to say nothing of their track record in incinerating pax ;)

SLF
8th Apr 2004, 20:00
Do we really need to be in Sydney in 22 hours, Bangkok in 13?
Yes - off to Melbourne for 3 days in May (in cattle), If I could fly faster and cheaper in a smaller seat I probably would.

BRUpax
8th Apr 2004, 22:21
Trouble is SLF that because of your reasoning, others like me have to endure these inhuman seat pitches in economy. There should be worldwide legislation on minimum seat pitch so that all carriers would be required to provide a minimum of 34 inches. Sure, fares would go up. However, unlike you I'd be prepared to pay the extra and travel economy. At present I am compelled to pay ludicrous Business fares because of my medical need for extra space. There needs to be a reasonable balance between cost and comfort. Furthermore, I am convinced that being packed like sardines is a safety hazard in the event of a need to make a rapid exit in a serious emergency. All tests carried out are done in ideal conditions with perfectly able pax. The reality will make headline news one of these days.

redsnail
9th Apr 2004, 00:23
I get 2 weeks off at a time. Home is Australia, reside in the UK. 6 days out of a trip home is a bit too much.
Seat pitch could be better but fortunately I am not too tall.

Animalclub
9th Apr 2004, 06:27
I look forward to it Xeque. I dream about it. I read books about it... but I haven't got the money to do anything about it.

Alan Bond tried.

Another mode of fast transport is the ship (I think Russian) that travels over the water in ground effect (if that's the right term)... sounds good too.

Space to move around.

Globaliser
10th Apr 2004, 14:35
BRUpax: Trouble is SLF that because of your reasoning, others like me have to endure these inhuman seat pitches in economy. There should be worldwide legislation on minimum seat pitch so that all carriers would be required to provide a minimum of 34 inches. Sure, fares would go up. However, unlike you I'd be prepared to pay the extra and travel economy. At present I am compelled to pay ludicrous Business fares because of my medical need for extra space. There needs to be a reasonable balance between cost and comfort.No, please don't put the pitch up. It's fine for me and I don't want to pay for more space - I pay enough money out of my pocket to fly as it is. Most of all, I don't want to have to pay for more space just because some other people would like more.

BRUpax - you can always fly in BA World Traveller Plus, Virgin Premium Economy or some similar travel class. You don't have to pay business class fares for 34+ inch pitch.