View Full Version : Europe with a JAR-CPL(A)

tomcs
8th Apr 2004, 16:18
Hey guys....just a quickie.

If i fly a G reg aeroplane around europe on a UK issued JAR CPL am i ok?? Like flying into France and Italy etc

Cheers

Tom

FlyingForFun
8th Apr 2004, 16:20
If the aircraft has a CofA, yes. There are special requirements for insurance if you go to Spain, but most insurance policies will cover this.

If it's a Permit aircraft (which it wouldn't be if it was a commercial flight in any case) then check the PFA's website for details of each country.

FFF
-----------

peb
8th Apr 2004, 16:37
FlyingForFun
Do you know why do you need special requirements for insurance if you go to Spain???

:ok:

BillieBob
8th Apr 2004, 22:00
A 'G' reg aeroplane flown by the holder of a UK issued professional licence (whether JAR or National) is no problem in any country in the world - how do you think BA, Virgin, et al manage on international flights?

The problem comes when you want to fly an aeroplane registered in another JAA state - the theory is that your UK issued JAA licence is good in all member states, but the reality is that, to misquote George Orwell, some states are more equal than others. The French DGAC and, it would now appear, the Spanish have developed devious protectionist policies to prevent you from exercising the rightfully held privileges of your JAA licence in 'their' aeroplanes. The reality, of course, is that these 'National Authorities' are no more than puppets of their respective aviation industries.

So continue to fly your 'G' reg aeroplane with immunity - no matter which country's airspace you choose to enter.

FlyingForFun
13th Apr 2004, 08:39
Peb,

Sorry, I don't know the exact details. I do know that Spanish law requires you to carry a Spanish translation of your insurance certificate. As far as I know, most (maybe even all) UK insurance companies issue a Spanish translation of their certificates in any case, but I'd suggest talking to your insurance company if you want to know more. (Alternatively, I'd guess that the lack of replies might mean that no one on this forum knows the answer, but there's bound to be someone on the Private Flying forum who's flown to Spain who would know.)

FFF
--------------