PDA

View Full Version : Cal B744 Cp

Shintaro9
8th Apr 2004, 13:32
Is it true that the chief pilot for B744 has been removed by CAL's management?

If so who is taking over? This has a bearing over the kind of working environment that we can expect on the jumbo fleet.

Hope we get a better guy.

IBTheseus
9th Apr 2004, 01:08
CAL seems to go through a few B744 CP's. A bit of a poisoned chalice.

Does this mean there are results out from the ANC incident?

I hear that of the 59 GE engines CAL has, 20 have been found with bent fans. Who is wearing that??

Shintaro9
9th Apr 2004, 07:32
That I agree. CAL changes chief pilots like the seasons. In that respect continuity suffers. However, since most dont have a clue on what they are doing, the change I hope would be for the better. This one was removed (the previous 2 resigned), reason/s not yet public knowledge. It may be due to the ANC incident, but I think not. I think its the way he runs the fleet. More pilots are stressed out as he likes to fine/punish them ( JM's case was one) instead off helping the pilots out with their predicaments. His style was more like running a renegade squadron and not an international outfit.

Also strange was that an expat asst. chief pilot also resigned. It has been known that this chief plot does not get along well with his assistants, especially the expat one. Now, the fleet is going to end up with 1 chief pilot and 4 assistants, most likely all locals, so the expats on the 44s may be "left" out.

About the GE engines. Apparently CAL is the 1st airline that has these new retrofitted fans. Seems these fans are causing the problems. But other airlines with similar fans dont seem to have the problems. More investigation required I guess.

We're not too worried about fans at the moment. More worrying is who is going to become the next chief pilot. Hope they get a decent guy and one of the assistants an expat.

Jim Morehead
9th Apr 2004, 11:37
There are a lot of truths to these last few postings.

It is really bad when half of any airline's management are telling THEIR upper management that the "guy's gotta go". The best thing that could happen is to see the guy removed. There are numerous other good pilots and administrators at CAL that would do a good job. Unfortunately, the current guy who beat up on me at the hearing is NOT ONE OF THEM. If CAL wants to make it a good place to work, then changes must be made. I knew it was just a matter of time.

For a place to succeed, management has to set a good tone just like the Captain of any flight sets the tone.

If a new CP in the 744 Fleet is in the works, then the upper management should be applauded. Some people high up in the CAL organization knew they had a problem and even they told me about it. That's all I want to say about it.

Good people always prevail and losers fail.

etops777
9th Apr 2004, 12:36
Jim,

sorry to tell you that being a taiwanese and had serve 6 years at CAL that THEY WILL NOT CHANGE!!!

No matter who comes in to the office, he or she will always be a
puppet for someone sad, but true.

All of us would like to see a change at CAL, but that day will never happen as the management might change, however same shxx will always be there.

IBTheseus
9th Apr 2004, 13:27
The name I hear for CP should be interesting. Only heard one name for assistant. Expat, and I believe will be very good for the B744 fleet. Prehaps they are starting to realise the in crowd may not be the best to run the fleet.

Jim, I trust things are OK with you. Good to see you on the thread.

Jim Morehead
9th Apr 2004, 15:52
Interesting observation as a Taiwanese.

I really think CAL can improve if they put the right people in there. And I could give them a list of some excellent people. If I told you here who would be good, I would leave some out.

Does anyone at CAL know how the LOSA audit came out?

IBTheseus
10th Apr 2004, 02:16
LOSA observations finished about a month ago. The final report is expected around Sept if memory serves.

I already see changes that may be the result of the audit, or inspite of it. Doesn't matter. This company has made the first few steps neccessary to be a real airline. THere are many more needed. They don't yet understand just how many.

Boxboy747
10th Apr 2004, 08:49
LOSA audit... What a scam!

I knew several LOSA observers and every one of them said the observed flights were "Hand picked"! Results are sure to impress if you specifically observe flights with the few good operators around here and aviod the many who may be a bit challenged (major understatement).

etops777
10th Apr 2004, 13:11
the new cp will be dean young (young ding-huei)
he used to be the manager of standard and is currently FSA..

he will just be another puppet of SVPOP..

IBTheseus
11th Apr 2004, 01:25
There were a lot of sectors viewed. Not sure they would be able to skew the LOSA results too far. Its also a little difficult hiding the corporate culture of operation, no matter who you 'select' to be observed.

It was more interesting about the university 'survey' sent out basically reminding crews about a few SOP points during the observation period.