PDA

View Full Version : For Good or Ill.....IM BACK

Tartan Gannet
2nd Jul 2001, 01:53
For those who May have wondered what had happened to me for the since 9th June till today I had to stay over in Glasgow following a family bereavement.

I am now back and in due time will be either pleasing or annoying you with my rhetoric. Hope you have all been well, including U_R and my favourite Lawyer Davaar.

TG

Davaar
2nd Jul 2001, 02:08
Tartan, I plus others have been putting out APB calls for a Missing Person. Welcome back.

HugMonster
2nd Jul 2001, 02:10
Welcome back, TG - glad to have you back, and sorry to hear about your bereavement.

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

Velvet
2nd Jul 2001, 02:19
Welcome back Tartan Gannet - yes we have missed you, you old reprobate.

My commiserations for your loss.

Now you've got so much catching up to do. JB was closed down for a day - that caused no end of soul searching. Nats has been banned. Iceolareanic has turned up - ohhh you'll love him. Gerund has been and gone. You missed one of the scariest threads of the year - (broken pilot by Tony Draper), and one of the funniest - Ssssshhhh. Noise Abatement. Oh well you'll catch up.

Anyway Hugs and kisses TG

[This message has been edited by Velvet (edited 01 July 2001).]

Loki
2nd Jul 2001, 02:22
Wondered where you were,back in Reading now?

Winston Smith
2nd Jul 2001, 02:24
Tartan Gannet,

nice to have you back with us! So we did not lose an independent thinker, after all.

-

Allow me to offer my condolences.

Tartan Gannet
2nd Jul 2001, 02:31
Thanks all. My Mother, who had Alzheimers, died at the good old age of 85 and I stayed over to help my Dad who has taken the loss very badly, and arrange the funeral etc. Again thank's for all your kind wishes.

TG

pigboat
2nd Jul 2001, 03:57
Greetings Brother Gannet, welcome back. My deepest sympathy on your loss.

Eric
2nd Jul 2001, 04:22
TG, deepest sympathies, and welcome back.
As Velvet said, you've got some catching up to do, so we'll treat you with kid gloves for.................
about..............

sorry, that's it!

BlueDiamond
2nd Jul 2001, 07:06
Good to have you back TG. It's always difficult when a parent dies and I'm sorry to hear of your sad loss. My sympathy to you.

Diesel8
2nd Jul 2001, 10:13
I too must offer my sincere condolences on your loss.

D8

Radar Departure2
2nd Jul 2001, 10:56
Yeah, there has been something missing around here, hasn't there?

Welcome back, TG; perhaps you could start again by reminding us how you feel about political correctness, it's just slipped my mind for the moment. :)

RD

Tartan Gannet
2nd Jul 2001, 11:17
Radar Departure. In brief, I dont like Political Correctness one little bit. Even if it was a well intentioned concept it is counter productive in many cases and patronising. As I have often said I believe in rigid equality, only the disabled should have special arrangements etc . Otherwise I prefer to think that a police or customs officer or whatever has their job and holds their rank purely on merit and experience and not owing to colour, nationality, sexual orientation or religion. I reject all offshoots of PC such as "Affirmative Action" or "Positive Discrimination" or "Quotas".

I hope this reitterates why I am against PC.

Pigboat thanks for your Fraternal sympathies and again thanks to all who have expressed their condolences.

angels
2nd Jul 2001, 11:33
My condolences as well TG.
My mother died at far too young an age (59) so I know how you feel -- and some.
I helped console myself by knowing that she was a Christian and if there's a heaven, she's in it.

[This message has been edited by angels (edited 02 July 2001).]

I'd rather
2nd Jul 2001, 12:26
Welcome back TG - very sorry to hear about your loss.

swashplate
2nd Jul 2001, 12:49
V sorry to har about your loss, Tartan

My Dad died earlier this year from cancer...

Suggest you come to a bash and let fellow PPRuNers cheer you up!!

------------------
Live long and Prosper.....

Tartan Gannet
2nd Jul 2001, 13:13
Thanks, Swashplate, I'D Rather and Angels. I too hope that, if there IS an afterlife, my mother is there and happy. I can say that Death has released her from the misery of Alzheimers, a horrible disease which destroys the personality and incapacitates the body . It is now my father who is suffering (he is 81) and I feel for him very deeply indeed. They had been happily married for 55 years, a hard act to follow in my generation and the one which has followed it to say the very least.

I will be reading through the old posts but wont have much to say pro tem. There was only one really controversial law and order issue in the UK in the last few weeks and I guess you would already know my views on that so I wont be posting to that particular thread.

Feeton Terrafirma
2nd Jul 2001, 13:18
TG, sorry for your loss. Glad your back.... I think... uummmmmm yes, glad your back.

RD, you asked for it!! Ha!

------------------
I'm not a PPRuNe addict. (just need one more post)

Radar Departure2
2nd Jul 2001, 13:55
*after falling off his chair in shock, picks himself up off the floor and dusts himself off*.....

Indeed I did, Feeton! I honestly didn't expect a response, but at least I've proved beyond doubt that it's the real TG. :) :)

RD

flapsforty
2nd Jul 2001, 14:14
"Eventhough we formally say goodbye to you today,
you left us many many years ago"

A friends words at the funeral of his father, who had suffered from Alzheimers.

TG, my condolences.

Stiff Lil' Fingers
2nd Jul 2001, 16:33
Just when I felt a "Where has TG gone?" thread was imminent, the man himself re-appears. Good to have you back in the fold TG - I knew there was something missing from the mix!

Deeply sorry to hear about your sad loss.

Cheers
Stiff

rainbow
2nd Jul 2001, 19:27
Hi TG,
My best wishes go with you and your family at this time.
Regards,
rainbow.

HugMonster
2nd Jul 2001, 19:58
TG, my mother died just over three years ago, also suffering from Alzheimer's. She was 78.

My father had been caring for her at home, and the strain on him was immense. We finally managed to persuade him to put her in a home where she could receive proper care 24/7.

Pretty much immediately after he was released from the strain, he had three heart attacks in a row, but survived them, thank God. I suspect that the body keeps on going when it has to, and relaxes when the stress is relieved.

She died mainly of stomach cancer, but her system was so weakened by the Alzheimer's that she had no resistance at all. We were all grateful that she had been spared a more lingering end, and is now at peace.

My father is now 82, and looking forward to seeing her again. Not a day goes by without him missing her enormously - they were married for 45 years. It's taken the best part of three years for him to start living for himself again, and is currently on his first real vacation since she started going downhill, about 12 years ago.

Occasionally he needs lots of support, and the knowledge that, whilst geographically all the family are very widespread, the knowledge that emotionally we're close to him. He and I are very similar, so he feels closest identification with me, and I make a point of phoning him as often as I can, just to check on how he's doing.

Your father will probably need much the same sort of support. In bereavement cases like these, it is the living who need us - not the dead.

My prayers go out for you and the rest of your family.

Send Clowns
2nd Jul 2001, 20:49
Sorry to hear about your loss, TG, but it is a genuine pleasure to find you returned. I too had begun to wonder at your absence.

Nil nos tremefacit
2nd Jul 2001, 20:53
Condolences, TG. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Welcome back. :)

Mac the Knife
2nd Jul 2001, 22:29
Good to see you back TG! My Mum died a few years ago - luckily a kindly cancer released her from the hell of Altzheimers - she lived with us for a while - a sobering education into the real meaning of the big A.

As Flaps says, they've already left. Condolences from MTK.

Velvet
3rd Jul 2001, 00:22
TG, my beloved mother died a few months ago, and at the Celebration of her Life I read Christina Rosetti's poem -

"Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go, yet turning stay.
Remember me, when no more day by day,
You tell me of our future that you planned:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me, for a while
And afterward remember, do not grieve;
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad."

Glad to see you back here :)

Man-on-the-fence
3rd Jul 2001, 01:41
TG

So sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my Dad 12 years ago (at 54) my Mum still grieves to this day.

He said many many incredibly wise things to me in his final year (he had cancer of the lymphatic system, and just would not give in too it) the most poignant was that it is better for a Son to bury his Parents than the Parents to bury a Son.

TG keep your head up, remember the good times and get back to being your good old non PC self. We've missed you.

But dont think we've gone soft on you ;)

Edited to point out that I havent seen Unwell Raptor about much recently...hey he wasnt Shhh... etc (with or without space - I've forgotten) was he?

[This message has been edited by Man-on-the-fence (edited 02 July 2001).]

Tartan Gannet
3rd Jul 2001, 01:49
Thank you all again folks. Even although we have sometimes disagreed strongly it is a comfort to have the kind words of friends at this time.

HM, your late mother's case was very similar to mine. She was 85, my father 81. They had been married 55 years and had always been faithful and had never been out of each others company for more than a week. In the end it was peritonitis which ended my mother's life as the Alzheimers had caused a stroke which stopped her digestive system and she died from the resulting blockage of the colon. Thankfully as soon as the doctors realised her serious condition and that any attempt to operate would have caused her to die in the Theatre, they consulted myself and my father and with our consent eased her pain so she peacefully passed away with no suffering and with both of us at her bedside.

I am content that she is no longer suffering and I do hope that there IS an afterlife where the personality survives when the body it occupied and animated is no more. Alas I cannot be sure that is is the case. My father has taken it very hard indeed. I stayed with him for 3 weeks and am in touch every day. Thankfully he is in good health for a man of his age and has no financial worries.

So thank you all again folks. Please understand if I am a bit more restrained than my usual self for a little while and dont pitch into controversial threads.

Pax Vobiscum.

Mad Pax
3rd Jul 2001, 02:02
Although I'm not in the same league as other posters, welcome back TG.
You have my sympathy for your loss, and I hope that time may heal.

Celtic Emerald
3rd Jul 2001, 03:28
Good to have you back TG

Sorry to hear about your mum. I hope the grief and pain will ease for you & your Dad in time, it's never easy but time does help & I'm sure you'll be reunited someday.

Alot more people missed you than I think you realised.

Love and best wishes

Emerald

JudyTTexas
6th Jul 2001, 18:59
My condolences, prayers and thoughts TG.
Nice to have you back with your extended virtual friends.

arrow2
18th Jul 2001, 17:48
Welcome back TG - I have been away for 3 weeks myself. Look forward to your posts - I hope you will not be too Cautious in your postings....

A2