PDA

View Full Version : Computer/internet problem

7th Apr 2004, 21:20
I've encountered a problem accessing a U.S. based web site, and I'm looking for ideas as to what could be causing it.

What happens is that when I try to go to the site, it starts to open, then a second later, it somehow causes AOL to shut down.
I can access any other site. It is only this one particular site that causes this to happen.
The site in question is

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/

It is a U.S. Government site, but it does not have restricted access, as I have visited it many times in the past.
Does anyone know how a web site could interfere with AOL??

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Apr 2004, 22:45

Many things can interfere with AOL. Next time you are on the net, use Internet Explorer to open the page instead of AOL's Built in Browser.

See if you are able to access then.

Take Care,

Richard

7th Apr 2004, 23:16
Richard,
I've just tried it on Internet exp and it has the same effect. As soon as the site starts to open, IE immediately closes.
I must admit, I'm totally baffled as to how a web site can cause this to happen

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Apr 2004, 01:49

The site is written in JavaScript, but you would see the same symptoms on other sites too, so I do not believe that is the problem.

Have you run your pest control lately? (HouseCall & Ad-Aware)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. You could try clearing your History, Cookies, Cache, etc.

8th Apr 2004, 09:30
Hi Richard,
I've run ad-aware, spybot, and done a full housecall scan.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Apr 2004, 13:08

Have you tried logging on to the net with something other than AOL? I am just wondering if it is an issue with AOL's software.

Take Care,

Richard

9th Apr 2004, 15:44
Richard,
Problem solved. I reinstalled AOL, and it made no difference, so in a moment of madness, I decides to reinstall Windows, and it's working fine now.
I still can't work out why I couldn't get on to only the one web site though. I would have thought that if XP was playing up, it would have stopped me accessing all sites.

Thanks for your suggestions

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Apr 2004, 15:48

That is great news. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Even though WinXP is less susceptible to system file corruption than Win9x was, it can still happen. I am glad your problem is solved.