PDA

View Full Version : (NHL) Hockey playoffs begin

MarkD
7th Apr 2004, 20:22
Well, the Leafs don't start the march toward triumph until tomorrow night, but I thought I'd start some banter going as the first series of games is tonight.

Any Senators fans putting their head above the parapet?

Jerricho
7th Apr 2004, 23:51
A guy I work with told be to go and put $20 on the Winnipeg Jets........now I just have to find a bookie!

pigboat
8th Apr 2004, 01:25
That'd probably be the same guy that told me to put 20 bucks on the Quebec Nordiques. ;)

Huron Topp
8th Apr 2004, 02:02
Send the Women's Team in, they'd clear the lot.:ok:

Jerricho, once you place that bet, I've got a lovely piece of real estate for you, comes complete with decades worth of oil as well, known as the Sydney tar ponds. Would this face lie to you??:}

Jerricho
8th Apr 2004, 11:53
Not a huge fan of Sydney.

Now if it was Luggage Point in Brisbane, I would definately have to consider that one!!!

Pigboat - Weren't the Jets playing the Nordiques next week? I've got 2 tickets for the game. You want one?

Huron Topp
8th Apr 2004, 12:11
No, no and no. Our Sydney, in Nova Scotia, not yours with the killer snakes, jelly-fish and spiders.

ELAC
8th Apr 2004, 19:36
Well someone has to be brave ... Go SENS!

Pete

DC Meatloaf
8th Apr 2004, 19:41
Go Wings!

But if Edmonton had eeked it out, I'd be rooting for them instead....

pigboat
8th Apr 2004, 20:31
Ok Jerricho, e-mail me one of 'em. ;)

Go Denver!

Jerricho
9th Apr 2004, 01:02
Sorry H.T. Forgive my ignorance. I'm still got loads to learn about this great nation of yours (like where all the good pubs are). I'm sure my buddy Pigboat will be able to give me the lowdonw on where to drink in Gimli or Portage! ;)

BALIX
9th Apr 2004, 09:53
Ahem...

Just getting back on topic for a minute, whilst the smart money must be on Detroit - after all, they haven't won it for a couple of years - it seems to me that Tampa and Boston are playing some of the best hockey so far. The Cannucks may also be getting some form back following the Bertuzzi incident but it seems to be an unwritten law that Canadian clubs are no longer allowed to win it to prevent American money from going out of the game.

Just finished watching the Predators V Detroit game (I know, it has taken me a while) and still think the Red Wings must be the favourites. They were pretty ordinary for much of the game but turned it on for the last period, which was more than enough.

Should be entertaining, no matter who goes all the way :ok:

goates
9th Apr 2004, 16:42
Go Flames go!!!

I can dream can't I? :D

goates

MarkD
14th Apr 2004, 21:17
just to spice up the game tonight:

Sens fans check out:
http://www.sayuncleproductions.com/

and download the Ottawa Song (mp3).

BALIX
17th Apr 2004, 16:08
Watching the coverage on Channel Five here which is pretty good apart from the fact that they show the games live in the small hours of a Wednesday and Thursday morning. Hoping that at least a couple of the series will go to Game 7 so that we have something to watch this week :confused:

Tell you what, though, the atmosphere at the games, especially the Canadian venues, seems to be awsome. There's not much love lost between the Sens and the Leafs, is there? :ouch: :ouch: :}

Jerricho
17th Apr 2004, 17:10
Right I am going to need one of you Canadaian types to sit down and explain all the little rules and stuff (like icing?) to me please.

FlightDetent
17th Apr 2004, 18:42
5:1 Czech to Russian yesterday... and the world championships starts in less than a week right back here. :} Oooh, yeaaah.:E
Will be working by then, anyway. :ugh:

By far I am not a sports expert, but icing bears a common idea with off-side in football/soccer (hell, what lingo do you use :confused: ). But whereas off-side is a foul offensive play, icing is foul defensive play. Thou are not allowed to send the puck rocketing all the way in oponent's direction unless there's your team-mate to attack. In my language, we name it sort of "foul escape". Important for the game is the punishment, the puck returns for face-off CLOSE to your goal.

Cheers,
FD.

BALIX
17th Apr 2004, 20:39
FD

Well done to your Czech boys!

Actually, icing is one of the easier rules to explain. Basically, you can't shoot the puck all the way up the ice from your own half across your opponent's goal line (unless you happen to score a goal). Being hockey, they like to complicate things a bit and in the North America the icing is only called if an defending player touches the puck - if an attacking player touches first it the icing gets waved off and play continues. It might also be waved off if the linesman decides that a defending player (other than the goalie) could have made a reasonable attempt to get to the puck before it crossed the line, or if the puck has passed through the goal crease on its way to cross the goal line. As FD said, the puck is brought back for a face off at the other end of the ice following an icing call.

If your team happens to be short-handed, ie, you've got a player in the penalty box, you can ice the puck as much as you like.

See, told you it was simple :ok: Just wait until someone tries to expalin the offside rule :confused:

DC Meatloaf
17th Apr 2004, 21:50
Offsides is easy. An offensive player can't precede the puck into the defensive zone (past the blueline).

Where it gets funky is if the defense manages to clear the puck out of the defensive zone while the offensive players are still in the zone. In that case, all of the offensive players have to leave the zone (touch-up) before they can re-enter it -- except in the NHL where there is no "touch-up" rule. In that case, the offensive players have to clear the zone and wait for the defense to bring the puck out of the zone -- if the offensive players re-enter the zone before then, the play is blown dead. Stupid variation, I think. Kills the flow of the game.

Count me as one of those who think the "touch-up" icing is stupid, too. Too many players get injured racing down to touch-up or negate an icing for very little return.

By the way, my Wings are goin' to round 2. :)

BALIX
18th Apr 2004, 11:49
Offside is indeed easy in theory but when you try explaining the practicalities of it to a novice it can get very complicated. At least it did to me when I was a novice :confused:

Add to that the 'two line pass' rule which is sometimes confusingly called an 'offside pass'. This is something the rest of the hockey world has ditched with no adverse effect but whilst the NHL is prepared to tinker with the rules in some ways, it is very conservative in others and persists with it.

Anyway DC, you never really thought the Wings would have too many problems against the Preds, did you?

FlightDetent
18th Apr 2004, 12:03
Oh, it seems to me that Jerricho moved from UK thus he's football/soccer enabled. I don't really think he would have had a question about offsides since they are easier to comprehend than the football ones. You know, the blue line doesn't move and so ... :p

Toxteth O'Grady
18th Apr 2004, 13:30
Must be the start of Spring next week because, as always, you can bet the Leafs are gonna be out.

Go Habs Go

DC Meatloaf
18th Apr 2004, 14:33
Anyway DC, you never really thought the Wings would have too many problems against the Preds, did you?I still have vivid nightmares about last year's round one loss to the Ducks. And Vokoun was looking positively Giguere-esque in the two games in Nashville.

Too bad the Flames couldn't finish off the 'nucks last night. What a great game...down 4-0 with 30 minutes left, to lose 5-4 in triple overtime in front of an incredibly raucous home crowd has got to be heartbreaking. Not going to be easy for them in Vancouver.

Jerricho
18th Apr 2004, 15:00
FD - 50% of your post is correct. The other 50% is a major assumption that is unfortunately wrong! I'm sure one or seven people floating around here will attest to the fact I haven't got much of an idea about that funny little game known as Soccer. (Infact, it's been said I haven't got much of an idea about anything) :O

FlightDetent
18th Apr 2004, 15:32
Aaah, :mad:! Apologies.

Anyway, thanks for sending Vokoun back he'll be an asset for the Championships. You can keep Hasek indefinitely though :E.

The second game against the Russian team is 2:2 after the first period. I am watching it in another browser window, because the stewies elected to watch Young Indiana Jones Chronicles :yuk:. Why can boys not have their own standby room?

Jerricho
18th Apr 2004, 16:20
No probs dude!!

I'm not very good playing with balls............

Toxteth O'Grady
18th Apr 2004, 17:35
Right I am going to need one of you Canadaian (sic) types to sit down and explain all the little rules and stuff (like icing?) to me please.

OK - now that offside and icing's been done, anyone volunteering to explain the 2 Line Pass rule for J's next lesson about "The Coolest Game on Earth?"

but it seems to be an unwritten law that Canadian clubs are no longer allowed to win it to prevent American money from going out of the game. ...................and as far as the Leafs are concerned that law must have been laid down about the same time as The Ten Commandments

GO HABS GO

Jerricho
18th Apr 2004, 19:26
Sorry.......did I really type Canadaian? :=

What I would really like to know is when you can try to turn some guy into a bug splat on the plexi-glass and when you can't? Or isn't there a "can't"

DC Meatloaf
18th Apr 2004, 19:52
You can hit him if he's got the puck, or just had the puck, and he's not facing the glass with his back towards the player doing the checking. Hitting someone from behind into the boards is called "boarding" and is a no-no. And hitting a guy before he gets to the puck is called "interference."

Of course, these rules get relaxed a bit in the playoffs. Seems like you pretty much have to take a guy's head off before you get called for a penalty in the playoffs, especially if it's in overtime. Hockey also seems like one of the few sports where the ref will check for blood to determine the extent of the penalty. Whack someone across the face with a stick and just bruise him, you get 2 minutes in the box. Knock out a few teeth and/or draw blood? 4 minutes.

If you're a thug like Todd Bertuzzi, feel free to clock a guy from behind and as he crumples to the ice unconscious, land on him, breaking his neck. You only get to do that once, though.

Toxteth O'Grady
18th Apr 2004, 19:58
Sorry.......did I really type Canadaian?

np m8 - when it comes to Hockey there's only one way to spell Canadien anyways

GO HABS GO

BALIX
18th Apr 2004, 22:13
If you're a thug like Todd Bertuzzi, feel free to clock a guy from behind and as he crumples to the ice unconscious, land on him, breaking his neck. You only get to do that once, though.

Ah, but Bertuzzi did burst into tears and say he was sorry afterwards so they will probably let him do it again next season.

Anyway, two line pass: you can't pass the puck to a teammate across two lines. Easy, innit? :ok:

By the way Toxteth, how are the sticky bogeys coming along?? :E

Toxteth O'Grady
18th Apr 2004, 22:26
By the way Toxteth, how are the sticky bogeys coming along??

You been takin' a sneak peak at my profile or are you as anarchic as.............??

BALIX
19th Apr 2004, 00:22
Nah, not been looking at your profile, I remember you from The Young Ones. Strangely enough, your name came up in JBs University Challenge (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124198&highlight=university+challenge) thread a couple of weeks ago. ;)

goates
20th Apr 2004, 06:15
GO FLAMES GO!!!!!!
GO FLAMES GO!!!!!!
GO FLAMES GO!!!!!!

Detroit, here we come!!

goates

a is dum
20th Apr 2004, 06:26
Jericho et all,

There is a very good book which does not only quote the NHL rules but also gives the background/history of the rule development. Why was it brought in, why it was changed and anecdotes of same.
It's a bit more expensive than the NHL rulebook but a good read and includes piccies and drawings.

Will have to check what its called and what its catalog no is.

meanwhile: rule book (http://www.usahockey.com/FileServlet/relatedDocuments/8DEEF6202BE65117E034080020D8D313/2001-03%20Ice%20Rulebook.pdf)

but be warned, it's a heavy .pdf file and not much use when you have a a dial-up connection.

BTW Balix,

""It might also be waved off if the linesman decides that a defending player (other than the goalie) could have made a reasonable attempt to get to the puck before it crossed the line""

I have seen a few times now that this is giving a bit of a a problem. Defending players deliberately avoiding contact with the puck so that it will be whistled back to the other goal side. A difficult rule to implement.

IFTB

BALIX
20th Apr 2004, 08:15
IFTB

Believe me, I know it is a difficult one to interpret - many a time at the Centrum I saw linesmen wave off icing for no apparent reason. Now I know we are hardly talking NHL hockey when it comes to the (now defunct) British Superleague and the NHL linesmen seem to be a bit more consistant but there is still an element of judgement to be made. As such officials will differ in their interpretation of the rule.

goates

Well done - I don't suspect many are sorry that the Cannucks are out following the Bertuzzi incident. As for the FLames, it is only the Red Wings next - no problem :D

Looks as though we will be watching the Leafs against the Sens on C5 tonight as it is the only game left. Play off game 7, an Ontario derby, that won't be much good, will it :E :E :} :ok:

MarkD
22nd Apr 2004, 20:55
Yea and it came to pass that the evil Sens were vanquished, and their politicos had to don the hated Leaf jersey at their council next week, and Bumpkin Bob Chiarelli will come down the ACC with his Leaf jersey to watch the Leaf-Flyers series.

So the Lord decided and it was very good.

BALIX
22nd Apr 2004, 21:36
So the Lord decided and it was very good

Well, the Lord may have decided but to my eyes the Leafs were pretty poor and only won because Laline had a 'mare in the first period whilst Belfour performed heroics at the other end. I know goaltending is the most important aspect of the play offs but for the Leafs to progress they are going to have to find some offence.

goates
23rd Apr 2004, 13:57
Calgary 2
Detroit 1

Flyers 3
Leafs 1

All in all, a great start to the second round. :D

goates

goates
4th May 2004, 05:38
Where'd everyone go? Aren't there any NHL fans around here?

Detroit's done! Bring on the next team!!

Go Flames Go!
Go Flames Go!
Go Flames Go!
:D :D :D

goates

PS - Yes, we Calgarians are a little excited right now... ;)

DC Meatloaf
4th May 2004, 05:56
Argh.

I hated Hatcher when he was a member of the Stars, I never really grew to like him as a member of the Red Wings. Now I positively hate him. :mad: :{ :ouch: :)

Oh well. Calgary certainly deserved to win, they worked a lot harder than Detroit.

Not sure who to root for now. I like Calgary's work ethic and grittiness, but as an Edmonton Fan can't find myself cheering for them. I wish it were possible for both San Jose and Colorado to lose. I generally dislike the clutch-and-grab Eastern Conference style, but Tampa is pretty fun to watch, and I do hope Philly takes care of Toronto. Maybe I'll just root for the East this year.

Sigh.

Hope there's a season next year.

FlightDetent
4th May 2004, 10:03
Not that you really care for the IIHF World Championship (http://live82.ihwc.net/english/index.ihwc), so just a quick update on last nights game

Defending World Champions 2
Czech Republic 6

next: Team USA. Yummy... :}

Go, Vokoun, go :ok: :ok: :ok: !

FD.

goates
5th May 2004, 14:03
Yea and it came to pass that the evil Leafs were vanquished.

So the Lord decided and it was very good.

:D :D ;)
goates

pigboat
5th May 2004, 14:30
37 and counting.:E ;)

BALIX
6th May 2004, 20:06
Excuse the tape delay but I've just watched the end of the Leafs V Flyers - cracking finish :ok: Mind you, I bet that Finnish bloke who was clobbered by Darcy Tucker has not yet realised the game is over. What a hit! Credit to him, though, for managing to get off the ice despite his legs not obeying orders. The irony was, though, that the Leafs' defence let it down at the end allowing not one but two odd man rushes withn a few seconds after that hit. Roenick made no mistake on the second one, did he?

Well done to Philly - they deserved it. But who would have thought that the Flyers, Lightning, Sharks and Flames would be the teams contesting the conference finals? You would have got long odds on that at the start of the season - even at the start of the play offs. :confused:

MarkD
25th May 2004, 21:13
Game 1 of the finals (Calgary at Tampa Bay) today. Good to see two fine coaches in the final and Philly having to wait in line like Toronto again.