PDA

View Full Version : Best Aircraft Noise?

Loki
1st Jul 2001, 18:45
As a reaction to Too Much Noise thread, what`s your favourite.

Mine could be VC10 departure

Rollingthunder
1st Jul 2001, 18:52
Any Merlin or Griffon

gul dukat
1st Jul 2001, 19:02
Any one that is taking ME on a break !!!

Magumba
1st Jul 2001, 19:20
Beech 18 at night.

J-3 Cub anytime.

S-76 if I'm flying it.

DX Wombat
1st Jul 2001, 19:22
It just has to be Concorde followed closely, like gul dukat, by the one I'm a passenger on regardless of type. :) :) :)

Wholigan
1st Jul 2001, 19:59
No doubt about it --- the Hunter "blue note".

Dr Jekyll
1st Jul 2001, 20:05
Vulcan taking off.

Techman
1st Jul 2001, 20:26
Anything without a hush-kit.

Flap Sup
1st Jul 2001, 20:35
When I'm at the controls - the louder the better (Trident, BAC 1-11, DC8, 707 - I'm a sucker for the classics)
Otherwise, any glider.
brgds FS

Engineer
1st Jul 2001, 21:18
my dad's lawnmower even nexts door complain

EGAC
1st Jul 2001, 21:35
The Convair B-36 Peacemaker had six (pusher) piston engines and four jets. A truly unique sound which I've only ever heard as a recording.

Send Clowns
1st Jul 2001, 22:54
Any turbine-powered helicopter, especially the mighty Seaking/S-61

IanBowden
1st Jul 2001, 23:25
When in a field at the threshold of 07 @ EGNT with concorde taking off directly away from me. Even felt the warmth and 'wind' from the engines. WOW! (No, i am not a spotter-i'm a wannabee pilot)

Ian

HugMonster
1st Jul 2001, 23:38
[list=1] Merlin-powered Spitfire Concorde ...[/list=a]
The police strimmer over my house at 03:00.

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

Diesel8
2nd Jul 2001, 00:18
Civilian would be CJ610, like mounted on a Learjet, it sounds like it is tearing the air.

Military, the F-104 makes a wonderful racket.

The Nr Fairy
2nd Jul 2001, 00:50
Send Clowns has it. Turbine helicopters - especially when heard from before startup, then accompanied by the smell of burnt jet fuel. Gorgeous.

I'd take issue with the S62, though - got to be Wokkas.

MikeSamuel
2nd Jul 2001, 00:50
Mirage 2000...What more can one say.... :)

Nil nos tremefacit
2nd Jul 2001, 01:03
4 x RR Conways - preferably on a Victor, but a VC10 will do.

Also used to love the sound of the Vulcan when it did the low, slow fly past with bomb doors open.

Alpine Flyer
2nd Jul 2001, 01:11
Anything with an afterburner.

Big pistons also sound nice, and I'd really like to hear the B-36.

piloteddy
2nd Jul 2001, 01:15
Turbine engine starting...the the sound of the Dauphans fenestron tail rotor..... Ummmmmmmmmmm :)

Steepclimb
2nd Jul 2001, 01:28
It has got to be the sound of a DC6 climbing away in the distance on a still night. It is so evocative of flying the in the old way.

Davaar
2nd Jul 2001, 01:39
Merlin and Griffon are good, but is there anything to match a Harvard in fine pitch?

pigboat
2nd Jul 2001, 01:53
BAC1-11, up close and angry.
C-46
If one Merlin's great, the North Star had four. With the cross-over exhaust, the sound was unique.
Norseman V with the two-blade prop and short stack.

18-Wheeler
2nd Jul 2001, 02:02
SR-71.
Not that I've heard one as such, but I've got a good imagination.
But as a reliable back-up, anything with afterburners on a very still morning with hills around.

------------------
Motion coming on!

Smaug
2nd Jul 2001, 02:09
I hate to be unpatriotic guys but those biiiiiig American radials do it for me. Merlins and Griffons really play a tune but have you stood behind that Tigercat or Bearcat or Corsair on startup and felt the lazy power from those HUGE props??

See you at duford next weekend.

Mad Pax
2nd Jul 2001, 02:16
Agree with Dr Jekyll - Vulcan.

Irish Steve
2nd Jul 2001, 02:44
For pure show stopping ( and yes, I'm giving my age away here :) ), it has to be a pair of target towing Mosquitoes, coming out of Exeter in formation, full fine pitch, passing over the school at about 09:05 every morning, at about 200 Ft. Everthing stopped while they passed.

For pure agony, a pair of German Starfighters with everything turning and burning at about 200 Ft on a practice for the Air day that weekend. 99% of the class ducked below the desks, as they didn't see them coming. I did so just enjoyed the view as they pulled into a vertical climb over the airfield on full reheat and climbed to about FL classified. :)

For everthing else, Concorde when it means it on a short runway (EGTE for example).

I used to live close to Exeter many years ago, and have lots of fond memories of things like the Mossies, DC-6's, Constellations, Argonauts, and all sorts of other "nice" noises that visited on a regular basis.

The peaceful noise of a Dak on short final with just approach power on is also not to be missed. I have a very nice piece of video tape of Concorde departing in full splendour (Speedbird Concorde Alpha Charlie cleared to join controlled airspace at Bridport( about 20 miles East of Exeter) climb and maintain FL 230. Clear take off 08) followed a few minutes later by a pleasure circuit of an Aer Atlantique Dak doing it's thing, not long before sunset, on an otherwise almost silent airfield. Pure magic, as I was only 50 Ft from the active threshold with the video camera!

Then again, I used to enjoy the sound of 2 160 Hp engines on a Twin Comanche when it was working hard just after take off. Maybe that was because I was between the props in the LH seat. Ahhh nostalgia :) :) :)

Brave
2nd Jul 2001, 02:46
The Piper Brave or anything with an IO 720 up front, 720 cubic inch flat 8 and no mufler.
Also the sound or lack of sound from a glider at the top of a loop.

broadreach
2nd Jul 2001, 03:53
The whump! of a 1-11 starting, then building revs.

Yes, that DC-6 climbing away...

Stearman.

Four Bolivian P-51s strafing the square while one tries to hide in a doorway - not.

Eric
2nd Jul 2001, 04:29
The one where you hear a bit of a whistle, start to think, "What's that noise", then get hammered by FJ's going 3 feet over your head.
The Sound of Freedom.
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

BlueDiamond
2nd Jul 2001, 06:07
Ooooer ... how to choose?

O.K., for sheer thrill and gut-grabbing, mine's the BAC1-11 on a very cold morning crackling like a chain of explosives.

For attention-grabbing-paralyse-em-where-they-stand raw power and noise it has to be anything military screaming along the river in close formation at not much altitude.

For grace and beauty nothing will ever beat the sight of a seven four coming in to land. Massive power under tight control. I defy anyone to NOT stop and stare if they're in the vicinity. It still makes me catch my breath and, for me, that aircraft will always be the lady of the skies.

nasa
2nd Jul 2001, 06:26
UH1H (Iroquois) at zot feet in full gunship configuration, with both, mini's, pods working overtime, over Evans Head.....

------------------
Happy the man and he alone, for he can call today his own, he who secure within can say.....Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.....

Helmet
2nd Jul 2001, 07:48
No doubt about it - the Bell 205 (UH-1H)in max wok (max blade slap for you fixedwingers).

As above, The best sound award goes to:

A UH-1H gunship firing mini's, rockets and door guns whilst at max wok.

THERE IS NOTHING SWEETER

Capt Vegemite
2nd Jul 2001, 08:41
If this noise doesnt take the wrinkle out of the front of your trousers you are officially dead.
Turn your sound WAY up..

click here (http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/merlin.wav)

Blacksheep
2nd Jul 2001, 08:56
Oooooooh YES! He's definitely on his way to the cinema!

That .wav file's sooooooh nice I just replaced the horrible windows start-up sound with it.

Now if only someone can guide us to the sound of four Griffons...

Through difficulties to the cinema

Jim lovell
2nd Jul 2001, 10:23
727-200 on departure- makes the airport shake and leaves nice black smoketrails behind. Fully loaded 747 classic at takeoff very noisy too. Military- has tobe the F-16 Falcon

Kermit 180
2nd Jul 2001, 11:35
The best: a Merlin popping away or the Centaurus of a Hawker Sea Fury.

Most annoying: blades of a Harvard after takeoff before power is set.

Best smell: turbine starting up.

Evening Star
2nd Jul 2001, 15:24
With Dr J and others on this one, it has to be the Vulcan. Was the reason why I wanted to be a pilot in the RAF until my eyes let me down http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif. Ah, the cry of the thwarted wannabe pilot.... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Hugmonster, you cannot be serious about the police strimmer! Am sure I live under its direct route from NCL to Mackumville. Much prefer anything else.

Slasher
2nd Jul 2001, 15:26
For an instant hard-on give me a Merlin. Any angle, any power setting.

Any Allison D513 (Electra, Orion) during startup

Any Pratted DC3 on TO (and it looks great too!).

[This message has been edited by Slasher (edited 02 July 2001).]

swashplate
2nd Jul 2001, 16:36
Just LOVE any high-bypass turbofan;

CFM-56, PW4000, RR TRENT etc.

LUUURRRVVVEEEEE that WAAAAANNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG noise they make as they go over.........

Also like the 'thudding' noise of distant rotors under low cloud.....

Most overpowering has to be JT-9D on classic 737. Eardrum blaster!!!!!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

------------------
Live long and Prosper.....

Final 3 Greens
2nd Jul 2001, 17:30
1 - normally any Merlin

2 - on hols in Pollenca, the CL415 overflying at low level during practice waterbombing runs in the bay

Evanelpus
2nd Jul 2001, 18:58
Four Olympus 301's on take off is a must.

WebPilot
2nd Jul 2001, 19:00
No-one's mentioned the sound of a Lightning in full burner going vertical.

And if one Vulcan is great, those airshows at Finningly when four would stream take off were out of this world.

Ahh well.....

Man-on-the-fence
2nd Jul 2001, 20:39
Capt Veg

Magic

If my hearing was going to be taken away, and had the option of hearing one final sound. That would be it

Superb

ragspanner
2nd Jul 2001, 21:38
Nimrod, max fuel,winters morn ,you can hear those 4 RR Speys long after she's gone from sight. The number one deffinately the Lightning,ideal for rattling lose any stubborn phlegm !.

Loki
3rd Jul 2001, 00:42
A favourite sound from my youth was that of a Merchantman/Guardsvan flying over my home on its way into LHR in the early hours. Just loud enough to stir me in my sleep, yet very comforting somehow.

sprocket
3rd Jul 2001, 01:13
ERIC, I'm having trouble interpreting your preference ..

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">The one where you hear a bit of a whistle, start to think, "What's that noise", then get hammered by FJ's going 3 feet over your head.
The Sound of Freedom.</font>

Sounds a bit like you were standing next to a railway crossing and then run over by some early model Holdens being used in a Gaol break! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

Sorry; Whats an FJ?

Mert
3rd Jul 2001, 01:19
My favorite airplane noise is the rumble that resonates through the airframe when taking off, or landing on turf ( much easier to hear on landing of course ).

429 CJ
3rd Jul 2001, 03:44
Vege, you're absolutely right... I had to walk away from the computer for a couple of moments so as to.... never mind.

For a piston start up, it would have to be a DeHav. Beaver, for that inertial starter noise and that 'catch' - one cylinder at a time, it just does it for me.

For a piston flyby, Merlin, nuff said.

For a fast jet flyby, well let me tell you of something that happened many many years ago off the coast near Broken Bay, north of Sydney (OZ);-

Well dad and I (I would have been all of about twelve I think - a good twenty years ago) were having a very quiet mornings (about 0830) fishing about seven or eight nm offshore with one of my old man's mates, when dad witnessed a pair of F111's dropping down to almost deck height (about 50 - 60 feet MAX!) over near the Bay itself and start heading our way at some bl**dy phenomenal closing speed, he gently nudged me and quietly said, "take a look at that". There was absolutely no noise until they were upon us a few seconds later. They passed one either side of us at around the same height going vertical around a mile out further to sea with full 'burner going the whole time. Dad's mate Rob near had a heart attack and jumped fair off the bow of the boat into the cabin in one go swearing and shouting at the top of his voice. The heat and smell cannot be described and it wasn't until they had disappeared out of sight that we realised they had also covered us in spray that they had disurbed off the surface of the water. Dad didn't know whether to laugh or cry at his mate, and I just stood there in awe at the disappearing jets.

I'll never forget that day as long as I live!

------------------
'Gravity' is just a myth that the earth sux.....anon.. (or was I just drunk again?)

boredcounter
3rd Jul 2001, 04:30
TICK TICK TICK
Gotta be a PT6 on start, sounds great, and you know it'll get there.......

Otherwise it's gotta be the rare occasin 4 merlins go by on a Lanc.......WUM WUM WUM WUM.

Why did no-one say BAe146?

Best noise from any aircraft comes from the crew inbound.....On Sched and serviceable!

------------------
Speak the truth,accept the truth.....and only use one handle

flyboy_33
3rd Jul 2001, 07:30
I dream of hearing a corsair engine during take-off or any stage of flight for that matter. I absolutely love the sound of a Spit on take-off and also the good ol' F-111 full afterburner in formation with three other mates. That was unbelievable. The royal roulettes make a beautiful sound too. Otherwise Ne aircraft I am flying sounds to good to be true.

bushranger
3rd Jul 2001, 07:48
Yep. Heavy fire team of three huey gunships, 70KIAS, 17PSI, slight descent, minis and rockets firing, door guns blasting and all crews whooping and drooling all the way down the gun run... rrrrrrrrrr!

------------------
clear in live

Capt. Horatio Slappy !!
3rd Jul 2001, 08:18
NONSENSE !!

There is nothing to compare to the mindnumbing oscillating high pitch howl of a Rolls Royce DART !!
The Fokker....Ladies and Gentleman and indeed anything else unfortunate enough to have a DART powerplant as it's primary form of locomotion, is withought a doubt, the best Aircraft noise.

( Grins, spins on his heel and walks his deaf-ass, withought hesitation straight across traffic )

" Earplugs made of lead, that's the ticket "

Dr Jekyll
3rd Jul 2001, 11:03
Visiting Holbeach as an ATC cadet in the 70's. A USAF phantom came in at low level, the roar was deafening, the ground shook, I thought my eardrums would burst. THEN the Vulcan cannon fired! For a moment I thought it was the sound of my eardrums tearing.

You want it when?
3rd Jul 2001, 17:30
Vulcan engines at night on a flight line test. Made an 8 year old sleep very soundly at Waddington in the early 70's (RAF brat) - failing that trying to count the seconds between the QRA hooter (very spooky) and the engine starts.

Evo7
3rd Jul 2001, 17:39
Merlin, but EFA on afterburner is pretty good too.

con-pilot
3rd Jul 2001, 17:40
EGAC has it rigth. For anyone who ever heard the monster takeoff, climbout, approach and land, will tell you it was the B-36B (the one with 6 PW piston engines R-4360s I think and 4 jet engines.)

I heard them as a kid and my dad flew them.

The winner has to be the B-36

Gainesy
3rd Jul 2001, 18:59
Cap'n Veg,
Nice one.

Favourites
Shackleton at full chat.
Tu-95 (similar noise to B-36)
Hunter Blue Note
Wokka at max Wok
J79 engines (F-4, F-104)

Strange category
Buccaneer on finals, BLC sounded like a steam train pulling up a hill
Antonov An-70, like a moped in a jamjar

Crap category
Anything hush-kitted

Gainesy
3rd Jul 2001, 19:26
EGAC and con-pilot,
Try this link for the B-36

[URL=http://www.avanimation.avsupport.com/sound/b36.wav]

Bugger, link won't work
EGAC and Con, if you like I'll email the B-36 wav to you, let me know
[This message has been edited by Gainesy (edited 03 July 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Gainesy (edited 03 July 2001).]

JBravo
3rd Jul 2001, 23:24
I believe it has been mentioned a couple of times already, but let me say it once more. Without any doubt the RR-Merlin.
But the P&W's of a DC-3 are very fine too..

Loki
3rd Jul 2001, 23:34
Gainesy:

Would that be the pure "Shack", or the one with the two Vipers as well?

Steepclimb
4th Jul 2001, 00:00
To add to my devotion to distant radials, I can now agree with the Huey addicts. That sound as any twin blade Bell heads in your direction really gets your attention. What on earth the VC/NVA must have felt as the Air Cav bore down on them can only be imagined.

Also I now realise that my absolute favourite sound is the moment when the engine catches and a little shudder reverberates throughout the airframe.
It's been a while since I experienced that and I just realised how much I miss it.

willbav8r
4th Jul 2001, 00:44
Lanc and Vulcan for pure nostalgia, but as for modern decibels;

SR71 (especially the nightime ground runs) and SU27.

Does the B1 make much din?

Reality dictates that I will have to settle for the rattling of my Warriors' 4 cylinder racket.

Gainesy
4th Jul 2001, 12:03
Loki,
Pure, unadulterated, four-Griffon Shacklebomber.

Swamp Rat
4th Jul 2001, 17:55
The sight and sound of a DC-4 or 6 departing out of FBMN early in the morning, for another trip up north into miles and miles of nothing !!

Nothing beats the sound of big radials !

GoGirl
4th Jul 2001, 19:30
DC3.....gives me a wide-on everytime I hear it fly above my house....which happens to be directly in thr flight path, and not too far from Tulla and Essendon...collectively where 3 of em are parked!!

It's a sound not easily forgotton, or mistaken....and to me, it's the epitomy of what an aircraft Should sound like. mmmm-mmm :)

GG

[This message has been edited by GoGirl (edited 04 July 2001).]

Biggles Flies Undone
4th Jul 2001, 19:54
Without doubt the Merlin, but has to be in a Spitfire.

Seen and heard some mesmerising displays from the Lightning and Starfighter too - especially from two Belgian AF hooligans at a Biggin show many moons ago :)

BUMPFF
5th Jul 2001, 12:38
Several dozen Merlins, ditto Wright Cyclones and PW Wasps, half-a-dozen Centaurus and a few Pegasus - all in the air at the same time at Duxford's 'Flying Legends' 1999 show.

stbd beam
6th Jul 2001, 01:17
8 contra-props attached to 4 griffons at 8 o'clock every day over Elgin 'til they took 'em away. Nimrod display, the best in the world (Dad, how can they do that with an airliner?). Mig-29 display at Vancouver airshow (how can they do that with a fighter?). In the hold with a Vulcan over Jn 4, M54 prior to run-in to Cosford airshow, 1989, couldn't hear it unfortunately!

[This message has been edited by stbd beam (edited 05 July 2001).]

The Guvnor
6th Jul 2001, 03:06
The 'mooing' sound of three RB211-524B4s starting up is pretty good - as is the gut-shaking sound of four RR SNECMA Olympus engines on reheat ...

GoGirl
6th Jul 2001, 03:13
Someone earlier in the thread asked something about the BAe 146....
I am led to believe it is 4 oil leaks joined together by an electrical fault http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif
(not sure if this makes it sound better or worse!!!)

Regards
GG

Fris B. Fairing
6th Jul 2001, 10:23
Agreed the Merlin is sweet but to me the Allison V-1710 is sweeter. More so if there are two of them in the one airframe going around the pylons at Reno. Better still four Allisons in two airframes going around the Reno pylons. It looked pretty good too! (Two P-38 Lightnings flown by Lefty Gardner and the late Gary Levitz back in the seventies.)

As for LOUD it's got to be the Vulcan. Other candidates are:

The VC-10 take-off crackle on a humid day.
A B707 at max weight on a hot summers day on runway 22 at the old BNE airport with the aeroplane heading straight for the international terminal.
The howl of a BAC111 on an overshoot was also something to savour.

As the gunner on "Good Morning Vietnam" said:
"Play anything but play it LOUD"

------------------
History should always be studied in the morning, before anything else can happen.

Charles M. Schulz 1923-2000

Digaditch
6th Jul 2001, 11:16
Two USN F14's in a low formation flypast over our camping tent on the West Coast of Australia, followed by a vertical pullup and break manouvre...WOW

Bell 214ST, VH BEE, 2nm inbound for pure thump value. No need for a radio call, as you know its getting close when the windows are shaking.

DC3 out of Essendon on a still night, off on their dinner flights, magic!

Jim lovell
6th Jul 2001, 11:25
The MD-11 makes a nice kinda sound on full take-off thrust( a real brrrr sound)

Red_Devil
6th Jul 2001, 12:08
Maybe pushing the limits but the most amazing sound was the Space Shuttle Atlantis launch. The sound was incredible.

Followed by the Tornado and Spitfire.

RD

itchy kitchin
6th Jul 2001, 19:50
Love the merlin. One can really appreciate the different between the sound of the same engine when its on a spitfire and hurricane. I think the hurricane resonates more in the bass frequencies, although the spit has a slightly more toppy smooth sound.

Failing that, Harrier in hover. LOOOOOUUUUD!

Oh yeah, don't cuss the Harvard either.

WeatherJinx
10th Jul 2001, 14:32
Merlin powered Mustang - heard at an airshow recently - gorgeous!

WxJx ;-)

Red or green?!
11th Jul 2001, 11:42
DC-4 taking off (rawrrr....)! Also engine start of L-1011. Good vibrations :D !

Rog?!

[ 11 July 2001: Message edited by: Red or green?! ]

gyro
16th Jul 2001, 13:37
Still trying to figure out how to do this-- hope this works...http://dove.net.au/~samtitch/sounds.htm

Smoketrails
17th Jul 2001, 13:26
First encouter with a noisy a/c I can remember is a Spantax CV-990(Coronado) running its engines at full power for 5 min before departing 22 at MST in the late seventies, the pinkish smoke hung for about 10 min!

I'm suprised nobody mentions the IL76 and IL86.

Loki
17th Jul 2001, 21:42
Smoketrails:

If its Russian aircraft you want, then the An2 has a distinctive sound and there`s an aerobatic aircraft frequently near my house...a Sukhoi something or other which has a great sound.

Eric
18th Jul 2001, 01:34
Sprocket, sorry, missed your post.
FJ = Fast Jet

airbourne
18th Jul 2001, 06:56
Standing at the back of Dublin airport as a/c come in on R/W 16 and a Ryanair 732 without a hushkit goes overhead, now thats a rush! Wind and the smell of Jet fuel!!

Do28
18th Jul 2001, 07:16
A DC-3 at take-off or on flyover (an easy one)

An A-10 on a pass with the gun (sounds like the end of the world)

A Continental IO-520/IO-470 at idle

A G-1 on take-off (great for irritating the neighbors)

A Thrush on a spraying pass

A lear 25 starting at night

A Cessna 185 on take-off

Those are all of the ones I can think of off the top off my head. I am sure more will come to me later. :D