PDA

View Full Version : Help - Cant see the photographs

aaaaa
7th Apr 2004, 14:58
This is obviously a very basic question from someone with a very basic knowledge of computers - sorry but:

I cant open some photos as the box shows a red cross. How do I get around this problem? Please if you can advise in layman's language that would be very acceptable!!!

Thanks from a novice :confused:

Globaliser
7th Apr 2004, 15:08
IME, the most frequent cause is that the server on which the picture is stored is down, too busy, or otherwise not responding to your request for the picture - and therefore nothing to do with you. Going back to the page later can sometimes magically produce the picture that wouldn't show earlier.

It is possible that your browser is set not to show pictures automatically, but if you are seeing some pictures but not others this is unlikely to be the case. You can check by going to Tools -> Internet Options, clicking on the "Advanced" tab and scrolling down to Multimedia. The box for "Show Pictures" should be checked. (This is where this option is located in IE 6.)

You can also sometimes get a picture to load manually by right clicking in the space where the picture should be, and left click on "Show Picture" in the menu that then appears. But if the server is down, this won't do anything.

Just occasionally you will come across a server which won't allow pictures to be loaded like this (can't remember the technical term for it). If all else fails, try the following. Right click in the space where the picture should be, and left click on "Properties". A box will come up which will give you the address (URL) of the picture. Select and copy this. Open a new browser window (File -> New -> Window). Paste the URL of the picture into the address bar of the new window and press enter. The picture may then load. If it does, leave that window open, go back to the original window and click "Refresh". That will often then give you the picture in its original context on the page.

Hope this helps - at least until the experts arrive.

aaaaa
7th Apr 2004, 15:12
Globaliser

tanks for that, I will give it a go and hopefully the problem will be solved.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Apr 2004, 18:49
aaaaa,

Are the pictures on your computer or on the Internet? Which Operating System are you using?

Take Care,

Richard

aaaaa
7th Apr 2004, 19:47
Hi Richard

I am trying to look at photos which are on Pprune. Have found some wonderful ones of landings? into Kai Tak etc but often come up against this red x problem. Some of them are taken at the Gatbash seminars etc.

My system is Windows 98

Have tried following Globaliser's instructions which were very clear but didn't work sadly.

This is a very frustrating situation. I note that in the past you have helped many of us over here sort out problems. You computer guys do all speak a different language you know!

Hope you can help me

aaaaa

Globaliser
7th Apr 2004, 22:37
If they're old photos, it may just be that the people whose photos they are may have deleted them from the servers!

An idea - if you post again with the URLs of some of the photos you're having problems with (right click on the space, left click on Properties, then copy the URL from the box) - or the URLs of some of the pages that you're looking at - we might be able to have a look and see if we have the same problems. If we do, that would suggest that it's just that the photos have gone, not that you're doing anything wrong.

aaaaa
8th Apr 2004, 07:14
Hi Globaliser

I think you might have hit the nail on the head in the fact that they are old photos. However there are some older ones which I can still access but from a different person.

Anyway here you are:

http://community.airattack.co.uk/images/smilies/woot.gif

http://home01.wxs.nl/~squelch/Gatbash/bash07.jpg

In each case it says

Protocol: HyperText Transfer Protocol

Type: Not available

There were some in the military aircrew forum as well but needless to say I cant find them again (at the moment).

Where do I find the next computer course or better still maybe purchase one of those famous ' how to learn computer book for those lacking in intelligence'?

Thanks for your help

aaaaa 'the novice'

Heliport
8th Apr 2004, 08:22
aaaaa

You aren't doing anything wrong. The images are simply no longer in the directories specified.

The first appears to be a 'smiley', not a photograph.
Just out of curiosity, was this it? http://www.airattack.co.uk/club/modules/Forums/images/smiles/woot.gif

The directory which apparently contained Gatbash photos at some point now contains only two pics of birds (feathered variety) and a link to a webcam.

Heliport

aaaaa
8th Apr 2004, 09:27
Heliport

Thanks - obviously things are not what they used to be - glad I am not doing anything wrong - haven't a clue what they were but there was a series of them - yes they were from a GatBash so goodness knows what they were about!! I shudder to think!!

Thanks for the help

Globaliser
8th Apr 2004, 09:55
There, unfortunately, is your answer. As suspected, no lack of expertise on your part!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Apr 2004, 13:11
aaaaa,

The good news is at least your computer is not at fault.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. For the future, if you ever see pictures that you will want to access again, it is a good idea just to right click on them and choose Save As and save them to your Hard Drive. ;)

aaaaa
8th Apr 2004, 15:20
Thanks all of you for your help - Richard, I will remember to save them

aaaaa maybe not so novice as a few posts back!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Apr 2004, 18:41
aaaaa,

I am still learning every day too. ;)

Take Care,

Richard