PDA

View Full Version : Striking Gold with old DCA Aviation Safety Digests

Hudson
7th Apr 2004, 11:53
The other day I saw an advertisement in the Melbourne Trading Post by someone selling off 137 original old DCA Aviation Safety Digests from 1957 onwards. Rushed out and got the lot for $100 and worth their weight in gold.

These journals are full of accident reports that have been superbly edited and that cover a wide range of Australian as well as overseas accidents. One typical two pages full of text report included for example a propeller overspeed in DC4 (I suspect Qantas) where both engines on one side were feathered by mistake while the captain was asleep, and the aircraft went into a spiral dive at night losing 5000 feet before recovery.
And still some airlines do not believe in unusual attitude recovery training in jet simulators...

The index in the March 1960 edition (No.20) include the following 21 eminently readable reports written in clear unambiguous style:

Viscount disintegrates in turbulence.
Experienced factory mechanic sucked into Jet.
Low approach at night.
A wake of destruction, Delaware USA.
Do you use reverse thrust for taxiing.
Stall during forced landing.
Kerosene of Gasoline.
Otter swings of strip.
Uncontrolled descent of Boeing 707 over Atlantic.
Fletcher FU24 fatal accident at Armidale.
Norseman trapped by weather.
Nitrogen carts.
Radioactive Cargoes.
DC3 emergencyl anding , Colorado.
Loss of control in Lockheed Hudson, Lae.
Propeller blade fails.
Bell 47-G crashes in Severe Turbulence.
Crossed controls in a glider, Canada.
Spin accident in a Holz der Teufel glider.
Glider Airworthiness Certificates.
Gravity is still with us.

All that in 30 fascinating pages of flight safety gems.

In marked contrast, the 2004 January-February edition of Flight Safety Australia has 62 pages covering letters to the editor, media coverage of Sydney GA airports sold, Virgin Blue floats, Qantas launches JetStar, Farewell Concorde, FAA approves RVSM, DreamLiner closer to reality, Boeing axes 757 production, Boeing 777 makes first 330 minutes ETOPS flight, Union blocks safety recommendation, ANZ wants new widebodies. And not forgetting a 7 page cover story all about a winning essay called Conquering the Southern Skies.

Now throw in page upon page of promotions extolling the virtues of ATSB, information blurb on an Aviation Safety Research Grants Programme 2004, four pages of an Airspace quiz and answers, a Bruce Byron message on safety enforcement rules including a handy little table showing penalties, fines and demerit points. Another Bruce Byron profile where he states he wants to put more objectivity into regulatory reform. Yeah - right...

And finally, a very professionally designed last page that exhorts pilots to order CASA Safety Products like CD-Roms, posters on wire strikes and dangerous goods,and Safety Management Systems Information Packs. There were also 79 pictures in the magazine that seemed to take up an awful lot of space.

And get this: There was only one page on a specific accident and that was a JetRanger that crashed into a dam and the pilot was rescued.

Is it any wonder that recipients of the Flight Safety Australia magazine just rip off the plastic cover, skim through the waffle and the pretty artwork for anything of specific interest, and then get rid of it?

I recall that it was suggested to producers of FSA that some pilots felt that there seemed little of real substance between its covers and that its main content was out-dated news gleaned from aviation media sources. What was needed was not instrument rating quizzes, advertisements, glossy photographs, CASA and Air Services promotions and mea culpa articles, but hard hitting real accident reports both local and international.

That is where the Aviation Safety Digest excelled. Among hundreds of other pilots I would eagerly await the arrival in the post of my crash comic -as the Digests was known, and sit down then and there to savour its contents. Today, I watch "The Bill" each week as a poor substitute for the Aviation Safety Digests of old.

There is certainly no shortage of overseas accident reports that are available from ICAO, UK CAA, NTSB and Internet sources. A good aviation editor could easily examine and edit these reports for FSA and valuable information passed down the line to readers.

Reading my treasure trove of Safety Digests while sipping a latte at the local shopping centre, it is evident that each one contains more well chosen accident and incident reports than 10 editions of Flight Safety Australia. If anyone from FSA reads this I hope the message gets across because there are many out there that feel the same way as I do about FSA.

So, if any Pprune readers have old copies of Aviation Safety Digest, then I suggest you hang on to them and treat them with care and respect, because within their pages is sheer gold in flying safety knowledge.

Waste Gate
7th Apr 2004, 23:15
GDay Hudson,

About 10yrs ago, whilst saving money to learn to fly, I met a truckie who had previously worked as a Charter Pilot. Having learned about my interest in flying, he gave me his entire collection of Safety Digests, some of which had been his Father's, dating from around 1966 right up until the final editions of the late 80s.

I found them to be eminently valuable throughout my GA career, and even now in a major airline I find they contain useful information.

It's interesting to observe similarities between accidents from those years and more recent ones, most notably the old "VFR into IMC" trick. It seems we never learn, and I'd be pleased to see Flight Safety Australia move away from its more commercial style to something more like the old digests.

WG.:8 :8

Not_Another_Pot
7th Apr 2004, 23:55
Concur, I used to look forward to my UK crash mag. The current aussie one is just full of glossy pictures and usless information.

I for one would like to know what went wrong and why so that I may learn from the mistakes of others not make them myself!

NAP

Hudson
8th Apr 2004, 01:45
I recently had the pleasure of talking to Mac Job the editor of the Aviation Safety Digest magazine from 1964 onwards. The original editors were Jim Doubleday and Len Chesterfield from 1957. Both were then in the Air Safety Branch and wrote the magazine when time permitted between other duties. It did not come out on a regular basis for that reason. Mac Job became a full time editor and ASD was published more regularly.

Mac Job would receive many Australian accident reports into his in-tray, publishing just a fraction of them due to limitations on space. At the same time he would scan through overseas flight safety material from such magazines as the Royal Air Force Air Clues, United States Navy "Approach", ICAO Safety Digests, NTSB accident reports, USAF MAC flyer (Military Air Command), and a host of other safety material that came into the Air Safety Branch library.

From this he would pick out those accident reports which had an applicable message to Australian operators and publish them in the Digest. Due to the wealth of overeseas information that came into his office, he was of course limited to publishing only a fraction. The overseas reports were then re-written in more appropriate wording to suit local readers.

One presumes that together with internet libraries, this vast exchange of accident information between ATSB and overseas flight safety sources still exists and is untapped.

If that is true, there should be no shortage of very interesting accident and incident reports that could be used to invigorate the current Flight Safety Australia magazine into a journal of real flight safety value.

It's current direction as primarily an advertising venue for commercial products, public relations and old hat news, is not serious flight safety reading to serious readers.

Pinky the pilot
8th Apr 2004, 08:25
I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments expressed in the previous posts. I was only a 300hr Glider Pilot when the Dept. offered subscriptions to the Digest. Previously it apparently was only available to licenced Pilots. And so as soon as it became generally available I suscribed.
The current glossy magazine does have some interesting features but as per previous posters I would also welcome a return to the old 'Aviation Safety Digest' format.
Any Departmental types reading please take note!

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

megle2
8th Apr 2004, 08:44
Hudson, I too have watched the "BIll" for years.

Your right it does sort of match up in time with the Digests degeneration to its present zero standard.

I guess Reg Hollis has been preaching CRM all these years and I didn't realise it.

Pity about the Digest. I will dig out my old copies.

Ralph the Bong
8th Apr 2004, 08:50
Hudson.

YOU LUCKY, LUCKY BASTARD!!! :O

I have got every copy of the Crash Comic from mid 1976 on plus about 12 earlier editions.

Good point about the current pap that comes out quarterly. Except for the little multi-choice quiz, it's a complete waste of time.

Remember the safety message posters that were either in the middle or the back page?

amos2
8th Apr 2004, 09:00
Well, for what it's worth...

my collection dates back to 59'. :sad:

23 Metros In a Row
8th Apr 2004, 15:16
Sorry but it has to be said............

Found them in the Melbourne Trading Post eh?

$100 eh?

Should 'ave told 'im 'e's dreamin'..............!

Did he have any jousting sticks?

amos2
9th Apr 2004, 02:00
Very droll, Metro. :ok:

Actually, I would have thought they would be worth much more than that.

I thought I had tossed my lot in the creek but the Archives Manager tells me they're boxed in the garage. If I remember correctly my first issue is about no.16. A mate of mine who started flying in 56' has the entire collection starting at the origional no.1!

They came out either 3 or 6 monthly, I think, in the beginning so Hudson probably has a single digit number in his collection...not bad!

:O

Skin-Friction
13th Apr 2004, 10:33
I agree with the above sentiments. I used to chew my fingernails to the quick whilst reading some of the accident reports in the old ASDs. They were great reading! Now one has to wade through the glossy crap and self indulgent articles about how wonderful airservces/CASA etc are. Commercial reality strikes again!

triadic
13th Apr 2004, 12:38
Well, I think I am lucky enough to have the whole lot..! Yes it was a good publication. I remember when learning to fly back in 19xx each edition was eagerly awaited by almost every pilot and if I recall you had to have a PPL to go on the mailing list.

Looking back at No1 dated July 1953, that edition was divided into four sections:

I.......Aviation news and views
II......Overseas accidents
III.....Australian Accidents
IV......Incident Reports

Editions #2 and 3 were similar format, but #4 (April 1955) was just one accident, which I guess was most significant at the time. It was the Vickers Viscount 720, VH-TVA at Mangalore Vic on 31 October 1954 which crashed on a training flight whilst conducting a 3 engine takeoff on runway 22.

If one then jumps to the last edition (#150) dated 1991. The first page has comment from Ron Cooper, the then GM Safety regulation and Standards Division of the CAA who were then responsible for the digest.

He says:

The results of the survey we conducted to identify readers' wishes in relation to the continuation of the Digest, indicated inadequate support to warrant its continuation. However the CAA believes there is a need for the promulgation of information from time to time, and intends to provide that information in an enhanced version of the CAA News. I am sure that this publication, together with the BASI Journal, will provide an appropriate source of safety information for the aviation industry.
Signed Ron Cooper

The editor of that edition was Roger Marchant.

The BASI Journal continued for a short time, I have 12 editions ending in June 1992. This was then followed by the Asia Pacific Air Safety journal, edition #1 dated Sept 1992. It faded away sometime later and my collection is a bit incomplete from there on.

Yes, the old "digest" or "crash comic" as we used to call it was a good read and we have certainly not seen anything so good ever since.

All of these great publications died due to cost and in fact some of the later ones carried advertisments.