View Full Version : ipaq pda,s

whatitsdoingnow
7th Apr 2004, 09:36
G,Day
Have just got an ipaq(4150) handheld and have found that the exel based software-logbooks lose lots of features when transfered to the pda. I was wondering whether anyone can recommend suitable Oz. style logbook software that I can use on both the desktop and handheld.

Hugh Jarse
7th Apr 2004, 21:31
whatsitdoingnow, I dunno if the Ipaq uses windows or Palm OS. I've got a Tungsten C loaded with "Captain's Keeper" (Palm OS), and it works okay.

Try Captain's Keeper (http://www.nimblefeet.com)
or Palm Flying (http://www.palmflying.com) which might have what you're looking for.

whatitsdoingnow
8th Apr 2004, 08:07
H.J.
Thanks for the reply. The ipaq uses the scaled down windows OS So that is the type of software Im looking for. Might try the computer section although I was trying to get Oz compatibale stuff.

itchybum
8th Apr 2004, 15:04
No offence but why use a PDA for logbook-keeping?

If, like many pilots, you're climbing the greasy pole toward bigger and better things, you can expect to be interviewed from time to time as you climb each rung. Eventually you nail The Big One... and front up to an interview panel with a 'major'. Being old and crusty they'll expect you to thump a pile of fat blue logbooks onto the desk thereby proclaiming your fine pedigree of hours spent suffering in GA.

Slamming your PDA down in front of them just doesn't quite look as good... and will confuse the old farts running the selection process who are then just as likely to cross you off the list just to be safe.

PS whatitsdoingnow If you happen to already be the chief pilot of qantarse, ignore this post. I guess if you can afford a PDA maybe you've already managed to claw your way out of GA... :ok:

Hugh Jarse
11th Apr 2004, 01:38
Itchbum,
that's the beauty of entering it on the PDA. Take it home, hotsync it, and whenever you want you can print out a copy, especially at interview time ;) You can also keep a trail of currency/recency as well as duty times. You can also print out categorised reports such as those you might need for Cathay, etc ;)

Quite useful I would have thought.:}