PDA

View Full Version : Can't delete emails from OE

Diverse
7th Apr 2004, 07:30
Hi everyone, I've a slight problem with OE6, I can't delete emails from my inbox. If I delete them it just seems to move a copy to the deleted items folder but doesn't remove it from the Inbox. I've run Norton AV, Spybot S&D, Adaware, looked through all the settings.

I've tried removing OE6 and reinstalling it using windows but I think that just removes the start menu links. Everything else about Outlook Express seems to work okay. Also mail that ends up in Norton Antispam file can be deleted no problem.

I'm using OE6 with IE6 and windows XP all with the latest updates and Norton Internet Security with all updates.

Hoping for a solution...

Spitoon
7th Apr 2004, 20:39
Can't claim any great knowledge of OE6 but have you tried renaming the file that contains the messages and creating a new empty data file? I can't remember where Windows stores them by default - but I do remember it's kinda obscure! The MS Knowledge Base has the details somewhere.

If that does the trick I would assume that the data file is corrupted in some way. I'm sure you could import the messages you want into the new file from the old one - maybe even easily!

If that doesn't fix it there might be a problem in the Registry. Regclean might fix it - I don't think MS offer it anymore but you should be able to fin a copy on the web without difficulty. And I don't think they recommended it for XP, but I've used it without problems on XP systems.

Hope this helps.

fobotcso
8th Apr 2004, 14:23
Boy, we do get some interesting ones here, don't we?

First I'd suggest you try "Compacting" the Folders from the File Menu in OE. That may do a clean up job.

Then I might try creating another Identity and importing all the e-mails you want from the Main Identity. There'll be some more housekeeping to do with Shared Contacts etc , but that'll be straightforward. If the new Identity performs correctly, then the problem won't be with OE but with the files for the Main Identity.

The E-mail folders that exist as Folders in OE are, in fact, Files in this location or your equivalent:

C: \Documents and Settings\fobotcso\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{42930D58-3C20-4006-A45D-320CAE985518}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

This can be greatly simplified (eg for backup purposes) if you are prepared to go deep into the Registry and edit the "Store" directory. But that's another tale.

There'll be a different 32 digit number for each Identity.

Flybywyre
8th Apr 2004, 19:55
Before you go to bed disable Norton. When you next turn your box of tricks on see if you have the same problem. Obviously don't open any suspect attachments / emails. Let us know what happened.
Regards
FBW

takenthe5thamendment
11th Apr 2004, 10:34
Diverse

I was having the same problems myself with IMAP mail, the solution from Outlook Help -

To delete a message from an IMAP account

In the message list, select the message.

On the toolbar, click Delete. This marks the message you want to delete.

On the Edit menu, click Purge Deleted Messages to remove the deleted items from the folder. Once you purge a message, it cannot be recovered.

To restore a message that is marked for deletion on an IMAP server, on the Edit menu, click Undelete.

To automatically purge deleted messages, on the Tools menu, click Options. On the Maintenance tab, select the Purge deleted messages when leaving IMAP folders check box.

You must be connected for the deletions to occur; if you are not connected, the purged messages will be deleted the next time you connect.

I hope this helps.

Diverse
12th Apr 2004, 20:37
Thanks for all the help folks.

I tried what you suggested fobotsco and compacted the folders. I was then able to delete everything as normal. I'm probably not going to delve into the other stuff yet as everything seems to be working sound.

Thanks again.

fobotcso
12th Apr 2004, 20:56
Well Done :) Thanks for the feedback. fobs