PDA

View Full Version : Seatbelts

z1894z
7th Apr 2004, 06:40
I was on an Aircraft with a major European airline the other day. The Aircraft looked brand new. My seat belt was not working properly so I asked to change seats. The FA said they were all the same - and yes she was correct. None of them worked properly. So I asked them to open the door and I got offf and got a different flight.

Any slight vertical pressure on the left hand side of the seat belt - roughly 280 degrees to 350 degrees and the seat belt just extended to its full lengh - the lock mechanism just did not work.

Is this normal ? I fly twice a month and have never ever come across this before.

SLF
7th Apr 2004, 19:33
I got offf and got a different flight
Your choice of course, but providing there's enough friction to stop me hitting the ceiling in turbulence, I'd actually appreciate a little "give" when hitting something at 100+ mph :)

And no, I don't think it's normal, perhaps they were all threaded the wrong way?

TightSlot
7th Apr 2004, 22:59
Doesn't sound normal as you decribe. I think your action in disembarking is pretty impressive - putting your money where your mouth is!

willoman
8th Apr 2004, 09:11
If all the seat belts were confirmed as not working properly, the aircraft was technically not fit for passenger carrying. After disembarking, you should have reported the matter to suitable authorities.

Globaliser
8th Apr 2004, 09:53
No technical expertise here, but isn't the acid test grasping the buckle and pulling it straight ahead in front of you? That's the direction in which the seat belt has to hold.

sixmilehighclub
12th Apr 2004, 12:51
Ummm, the action you describe is how you'd loosen the seat belt. If you'd had stayed for the safety demo......

You lift under the side of the buckle (the same side as the loose end of the belt) and it slides along the length of the belt.

I assume your crew explained this before letting you off the plane?

If it is a new aircraft, this will happen with even less effort as there is little and dust on the belt to give it the regular sticking or resistant feeling.

By pulling it upwards, you are loosening the belt, and as Globaliser suggests, you should be pulling it directly forwards and slightly down, as when the belt is forced to stress, your upper body weight pushes the belt down and your centre of gravity moves.

If you honestly feel that none of the seatbelts were working correctly and it warranted your exit from the aircraft, contact the CAA (see website) with your flight details, and speak to their safety advisors.

All aircraft go through rigourous saftey checks before operating, and cabin crew list any cabin defects (safety or otherwise) in a log which is checked and dealt with (within legally specified timescales) by engineers each time the aircraft lands where it has a maintenance facility. Licenced engineers must then sign off the work carried out when they agree it is satifactory and to a servicable standard.

Anything not in proper working order must not be used until repaired or replaced.

z1984z, maybe you were lucky the seat belts were only in need of tightening so you have never loosened it before??

Or forgive me but is this a wind up??