PDA

View Full Version : Just heard "Cheap B737-300 endorsements on offer

Levi
7th Apr 2004, 05:24
I was talking to a good fried of mine today who told me that
the Ansett Flight Sim are offering B737-300 command T/ratings
for AUD $20,000.00 per person. Has anybody else heard of or know whether this is the case. If it is, thats mighty cheap....

virgindriver
7th Apr 2004, 06:08
Mmmm, I thought the Ansett B733 sim was sold, packed up and gone? Maybe I am wrong..... Yes I am wrong- must have been drunk- twas the A320 sim.

If you are looking for 73 endorsements try Alteon in Brisbane. I think 36 hours total full flight plus fixed base and all in a NG. Costwise- I believe low to mid $30g.

swh
7th Apr 2004, 06:43
Levi,

Seem to remember an add in the friday Australian not so long ago...

VD,

Are you thinkning of the 320 sim that was sent over to CTC ?

Have not heard about the 733, could always visit http://www.ansettsimulators.com/

Their news page seems to be a couple of months infornt of pprune, Ozjets start and stop was on there before the start was on here.

:ok:

Cloud Cutter
9th Apr 2004, 04:49
That sounds pretty cheap - last I heard Air NZ were asking 15,500 USD (that was before the NZ$ sky-rocketed).

Isn't the old Ansett sim run by that ETA outfit - I hear they do a pretty good job (anyone with first hand experience care to elaborate?)

Virgindriver, what does VB charge for NG ratings?

Cheers

Menen
9th Apr 2004, 07:02
I understand that ETA have graduated over 100 pilots on the 737-300 and NG. Feed-back indicates they run a good course using either the Ansett 737-300 and/or the Qantas NG simulators. Instrument ratings available and I believe they now have New Zealand accreditation. All instructors are ex-airline and highly experienced pilots on the 737. When Virgin Blue started up, they recommended ETA for 737 type rating training.

Cloud Cutter
9th Apr 2004, 07:38
Yes, ETA is one of the few providers approved by the NZCAA for issue of a 737 type rating (along with Air NZ, Qantas and Flight Safety Boeing). I believe a number of Freedom Air pilots have used them. They must have seen a huge increase in demand over the past couple of years.

Yawn
9th Apr 2004, 09:57
Hi Levi

It depends what you want the 737 classic rating for and your experience level.

Personally I've just returned from doing a 737 classic (-300/400/500) at Premier in Seattle (using the Alaskan sims). They also have a Florida option. The course cost was 7995 USD plus airfares and accommodation. Total cost 14,600 AUD. I enjoyed my brief two and a half week course.

The course is very compressed but I was happy with it - nice people to deal with. However, it may not be what you’re after; if you have an initial jet/FMS type then I would recommend the course as a way of saving money.

However, if you don't have jet/FMS experience then perhaps I would suggest spending the extra money and doing the ETA course in Melbourne for 22,500 AUD which takes a month and includes three or four extra sims and a heap of fixed base training (you get two hours in Seattle).

For JetConnect, their policy is you must have a 737 classic rating that is suitable to the NZ CAA which can be transferred over from your Ozy licence under the new trans-Tasman agreement.

This where Premier has an advantage over other US based companies that may not have dealt with CASA. CASA require extra paperwork to validate your training and place the endorsement on your Australian licence. This includes a copy of your check captains FAA approval, The FAA approval of the training company and a letter which states that if you had an FAA licence that you would be issued with a 737 classic endorsement. I'd also get it transferred in the Brisbane office if possible - they know what they're doing because of all the VB guys; I've heard some bad stories about Melbourne and Sydney offices.

A couple of traps about doing the course in the USA; if you don't have a certain amount of time on aircraft over 12,500 lbs (can't remember how much) it will take about 4 weeks to get approval from the FAA to do a jet rating. If you have the required time on larger aircraft then you are obviously not a terrorist and you will get approval in a week.

Second trap; The 737, 737-100 and 737-200 are referred to as legacy aircraft. The endorcements are very cheap but equally useless in our region. The 737-300/400/500 are the classic and the 737-600/700/800/900 are the NG. To upgrade from the classic to the NG requires three day and about 3000 USD in the states or one week and 5500 AUD from ETA in Brisbane. Your choice but I would do the ETA course as the courses are similar in price but I think the course would probably be to a higher standard at ETA.

An additional note; before a new type is placed on the register the only way to get that type on your licence is doing the approved factory course. After the type is approved then you need to do an approved course or approved licence conversion. There seem to be some comments that I think are historically correct but now not valid. This refers to the NZ CAA requiring a Boeing (the factory) course when doing the 737 NG rating. I don't believe this is correct now, as the NZ CAA has approved the NG - it can be done with an approved organisation and not the factory. I would get a second opinion about this though.

Yawn

wessex19
9th Apr 2004, 12:08
Yawn, did you get a start with Freedom???

Z Force
9th Apr 2004, 21:54
Two and a half week endorsement? Must have been a really thourogh endorsement.

Yawn
10th Apr 2004, 03:22
Wessex

My opportunity was with Jet Connect but I turned this down as I've had a better opportunity.

Still I couldn't wait to surf Raglan - a fantasic left. I would have been happy to be based in Auckland. (I'll go there on holiday instead).

Good luck to the guy/girl who gets to take my place. You'll work hard (49 hours a fortnight), pay not the best (750 a week) but if you love aviation you'll probably love it. And that should be the point.

Yawn

Sheep Guts
10th Apr 2004, 21:46
Yawn,
Would have to agree with what youve said. Also the fact that with ETA you get more sim time for your buck, 48 hours all told as opposed to 26 hrs min requirements in the USA plus additional NG upgrade which Im unsure how much that is. Alot of these courses in the US will charge you basic syllabus 26 hours then slog you $450.00 US Dollars/hr extra on top, fro additional training, which can catch the unsuspecting player out.

Sheep.

Levi
13th Apr 2004, 04:01
Thanks all for your imput.

After reading all your points of view I decided to contact the Anset Flight sim myself and ask a few questions about their courses etc.

This is what the lady said about their B737-300 courses which offer.

17 days ground school which includes 12 hours Fixed Base
during CBT then 8 hours of Fixed base and 36 hours full flight during sim phase, Instructor and manuals for $20,000.00 per person.

I asked whether the sim was run by ETA and she said No, but they are good customers of the centre and if I wanted to do a NG differences course then they would the people she would recommend to contact.

I also enquired about NZCAA approvals, sensing my concern she asked whether I would like a copy of the approval letter from from the NZCAA to make me feel comfortable. I must say she was very helpful.

Lastly, I enquired about instructors and how long the course would take from start to finish and she said the Ansett Flight sim use Ex Ansett drivers who have heaps of training experience as well as other contract instructors (Ex Airline). Course duration approx. 6 weeks.

When I compare the price to the content I feel the ansett sim offers more for my buck.

20 hours fixed base and 36 hours full flight total of 56 hours of simulator training compared to 48 hours with ETA.

I feel this may even be better than travelling overseas, I dont necessary want to go to all the hassle of obtaining visa's etc when you could do it in your own backyard.

BCF Breath
13th Apr 2004, 05:21
If you want to go to Freedom, you may want to consider an A319 rating.......

Kanger
14th Apr 2004, 10:36
Is Freedom going to the bus?
cheers
kanger

amos2
15th Apr 2004, 10:50
From one who knows Levi...
have a serious rethink about ETA v Ansett...

and go ETA...

the scab connection with Ansett will do nothing for your career prospects, believe me, and besides the ETA training leaves Ansett for dead!

Z Force
15th Apr 2004, 21:09
Amos, strange how it never effected anyone that did their endorsements there and got into Virgin.

Queentual
16th Apr 2004, 04:01
Let me get this right.
You guys are going to pay $20,000 for an endorsement to work for a company that pays $750/week!!
Get a real job!

The Enema Bandit
16th Apr 2004, 04:56
Amos, old son, with an attitude like that I might have to send you a sample of my freshly brewed, though slightly used, personal lubricant for use on yourself!

I've got to agree with you Queentual, bloody boofheads aren't they? Maybe Amos could forward my gift on to Virgin management when he's finished with it?

hughgoagogo
17th Apr 2004, 03:12
Levi,
I have done the type rating with ETA and have voiced my satisfaction with the product that I recieved for my money on other forums,also I have not heard to many complaints from the 200 or so of my work colleges that have graduated from there.

Here are some other Questions you may want to find the answers to in relation to the Ansett product.

1. How many students have undertaken this course?

My guess is that you will be the first

2. What SOP's are used?

ETA will tailor to your operator of choice

3. What seat will the training be conducted from?

ETA has approval to conduct most of the training from the right hand seat providing you with maximum exposure prior to your sim. ride with your new employer, Left seat sequences still provide you with a command rating

4. Can I renew my Instrument Rating?

At ETA, If required is included as part of the proficency ride at no extra cost.

Ignore comments from the likes of Amos and do your research, for mine, it was the best $20K I have spent in my limited career

:ok:

MinimaNoContact
8th May 2004, 03:45
hughgoagogo or anyone else...
Any contact info for ETA ? After an email address or phone number.
Cheers

Desert Dingo
8th May 2004, 04:37
It is

ETA
PO Box 174
Tullamarine Vic 3043
Tel: 03 9338 6245
Fax: 03 9338 7681
Email: [email protected]