PDA

View Full Version : This week's immigration "crisis".....

BahrainLad
6th Apr 2004, 21:54
Just watching Newsnight that seems to be giving airtime to the (I think) Editor of the Express who is railing against asylum seekers.

One of his comments caught my attention: that asylum seekers were "flooding" our transport and health system, and that we were a small country and were crowded full of people......

Now, I've heard of a political party in Europe who in the '30s used similar language against a group of people who were allegedly "swamping" them and crowding their "living space"...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

ratsarrse
6th Apr 2004, 22:05
Asylum seekers aren't 'flooding' anything as far as I'm concerned. It is true, however, that we are becoming overcrowded in this country - you only have to try and buy a house, drive your car, or catch a train or plane to see the evidence for yourself. We should accept genuine asylum seekers provided that the UK is their first point of arrival - if that makes sense. We should also positively discriminate on other immigration: cherry pick the skills we need and ship out the rest. Nothing to do with race, colour or creed. What we need is a working system with clear rules that is seen to work, otherwise it is just more fuel for the right-wing idiots.

flapsforty
6th Apr 2004, 22:13
Wrong time, wrong place. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125719)