PDA

View Full Version : Sick of getting this

touch&go
6th Apr 2004, 15:48
I'm getting about 10 plus emails a day warning me that someone is sending me an infected email, so I just been deleting it, but after a month of getting 10 email a day warning me I'm just now getting a bit sick of it.

What can I do, I've check my system and it's clean, I also have upto date virus software.

One last point I got an email from someone today saying I sent them a infected email, so I again check my system and it is clean.

What can I do?

Quote:

Yahoo! Mail Virus Protection detected the virus '"W32.Netsky.D@mm"' in the file '"your_details.pif"', attached to the enclosed email message. We scanned the file using Norton AntiVirus but were unable to clean it. Therefore, we removed the content of the attachment from the message. Please contact the message sender if you want to receive the attachment. They must clean the file and resend it before we can deliver it to you safely.

"

"Yahoo! Mail successfully cleans most infected attachments, which protects you from viruses.
"

BOAC
6th Apr 2004, 16:13
Pour yourself a beer, make a coffee, or whatever you like, and have a stroll around the wondrous caverns of this forum for your answers. It has been well covered.

goates
6th Apr 2004, 16:33
One last point I got an email from someone today saying I sent them a infected email, so I again check my system and it is clean.

There probably isn't anything you can do about this. Many of the new email viruses will grab every email address on the infected computer and then use random combinations of the addresses for the To and From fields in the emails they send out. The email the person was complaining about could easily have come from a friend's or family member's computer, or someone else's computer that they forwarded an email to.

I was in a similar situation last year, but was able to track down where the virus was coming from (my cousin and her friends had been infected), and stop it. If the emails are coming from the same address you could block it, but otherwise you can't do much. Keep your anti-virus software up to date, use a firewall if you don't already and run Spybot or AdAware, or both, occasionally and your computer should be fine.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Apr 2004, 17:20
goates,

Very good advice. I would like to just add Mailwasher Pro which is a great tool for screening the emails before they are downloaded to your computer. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

touch&go
6th Apr 2004, 17:31
Thanks for the advice, I have always been over protected for years with Firewalls and virus software also have Spybot, but no use if someone with my email address on there machine hasn't got any protection, goes to show were the weakest link is.

I notice that during my 3 years with BT i must have had less than 5 or so spam emails in the 5000 plus email I have received but since they changed to BTYahoo I'm getting a few a week, and they said it was going to be better.

goates
6th Apr 2004, 17:44
touch&go - It seems to me that anything to do with Yahoo, Hotmail or other big names is trouble when it comes to email. It tends to make life a little easier for spammers. My email address from my ISP gets basically no spam, while my hotmail address gets about 20 a day. To bad we can't use spammers to clear mines in Afghanistan or Kosovo...

goates

Richard - Receiving a compliment from one of the experts is always an honour!;)

slj
6th Apr 2004, 17:48
Having had many of these over the last weekend I have been using the free version of Mailwasher and that works a dream.

The trick is to resist opening any attachment until you are absolutely certain of its origins.

When attacks come using your own Internet Provider's e mail address it calls for complete attention. Mailwasher and reading the sticky at the top of this page is madatory.

Take care

touch&go
6th Apr 2004, 18:00
BTYahoo remove the senders information so if I use a washer to block the sender will it work in this case due to the senders name being removed?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Apr 2004, 20:57
goates,

I always give credit where credit is due. :ok:

Richard

P.S. touch&go with Mailwasher you can even block the types of headers associated with the virus they keep sending to you. Also Mailasher will report that it is a possible virus with a Red Flag.

http://www.firetrust.com/images/products/mw_sshot.gif