PDA

View Full Version : [email protected]@ing In the pool

Aileron Roll
6th Apr 2004, 16:39
Over yet another bottle of fine red the converstion has turned bad and we need to know.............

...will the water really turn purple if you Pee in the pool, don't live close to one so cannot find out ourselves !

DishMan
6th Apr 2004, 16:48
Probably depends on whether your pee is purple in the first place....or whther you have potassium permanganate crystals blocking your urinary tract....:E

I've never seen any "purple haze" in any swimming pool I've ever been in and I would say it's a fair bet that someone has been adding to to the water level on more than one occassion. :}

Google turns up some WEIRD sites on this...BUT I'm afraid SNOPES can maybe settle the argument...
http://www.snopes.com/science/poolpiss.htm

Oh well.....

Rollingthunder
6th Apr 2004, 16:53
Apparently a suburban legend.

Or, as one old-time Boston-area poolman put it, "If such chemicals did exist, every municipal pool in Boston would be bright purple." (A heartening thought, that. One could drown Barney, and the body wouldn't be found for days.)

Chaffers
6th Apr 2004, 16:57
The local pool in Harare had supposedly once been treated with a chemical which highlighted offenders, though was discontinued when it became obvious that the majority of people were offenders! Never saw it meself though so could still be an urban legend.

Had a wonderful sign next to it though, "There is no p in our ool, please keep it that way.".

747FOCAL
6th Apr 2004, 18:50
Public pools in the USA have a chemical in them that reacts to Urine and forms a blue cloud around the person. Seen it happen. :}

airship
6th Apr 2004, 19:27
I was under the impression that urine was generally considered anti-septic. In which case, p*ss all you want, save on pool chemicals and think of Nehru (or was it Gandhi?)!

answer=42
6th Apr 2004, 19:34
neither Nehru nor Ghandi. can't be bothered to dig up the reference. Anyhow he just died a few months ago.

airship
6th Apr 2004, 20:23
Died of p*ssing in the pool? Or was that dyed?!

6th Apr 2004, 20:26
Does it turn the water purple if you p1ss from the high board?:}

This might be another urban legend, but wouldn't it be fun releasing a few of these in to your local pool.

If swimming in South American fresh water lakes and rivers, pirhanas are not the worst fish. Avoid the urethra fish, a spiny little scamp that swims up the urethra and hangs in there with its fin barbs. Prevention entails not urinating underwater. The cure is with a knife.

Dead_Heading
6th Apr 2004, 20:35
Gandhi drank a glass of his own urine every day, just for the record.

airship
6th Apr 2004, 20:35
Don't know about the water turning purple, but if the board's high enough, we might get a rainbow?

answer=42
6th Apr 2004, 20:40
It wasnae Gandhi. And I'm still not going to look up which Indian politician did do so.

pigboat
6th Apr 2004, 21:06
That fish sounds like a urethal weapon.

The Indian politician was Desai.

answer=42
6th Apr 2004, 21:09
Thank you pigboat.

Ian Corrigible
6th Apr 2004, 21:26
Following-on from Airship's last:

-----

Little Johnny is approached by the lifeguard at the public swimming pool.

"You're not allowed to pee in the pool," said the lifeguard. "I'm going to report you."

"But everyone pees in the pool," said little Johnny.

"Maybe," said the lifeguard, "but not from the 10 meter diving board..."

:E

I/C

Omark44
6th Apr 2004, 23:01
Funny, but when I read Aileron Roll's post I took it a totally different way! I thought he was saying, in an obscure sort of way, that if JBers were to ignore the Mods warnings, i.e. 'Pi$$ing in the Pool' (See new Sticky above), then would we be in danger of a serious talking to and possible closure of JB from Flaps Forty? :confused:

Mr Chips
6th Apr 2004, 23:05
I was always taught that the "K" in "KNIGHT" was silent... like the "P" in swimming!!!

How do you spot an honest kid at the swimming pool? he hands the attendant a penny as he gets out....

Jerricho
7th Apr 2004, 00:58
"We don't swim in your toilet, so please don't pee in our pool!"

If I remember my physiology lessons, doesn't human sweat have Uric acid in it? Thus, if anybody was sweaty and jumped in the pool without showering.......instant purple! (Standing by to be corrected.....as per normal!

reynoldsno1
7th Apr 2004, 02:09
The Indian politician was Desai
Sounds like a good brand name for Coca-Cola's next attempt at bottling water....

Onan the Clumsy
7th Apr 2004, 04:07
I heard a journalist on the radio talk about a time he went to interview Desai. He said the politician started by asking if the journalist would like anything to drink. He said "I was momentarily lost for words".

Standard Noise
7th Apr 2004, 04:15
And I thought politicians only took the piss................
:E

pigboat
7th Apr 2004, 16:11
In French a swimming pool is known as "une piscine," pronounced "p!ss-in." Always thought that was somehow appropriate. :cool:

McD
7th Apr 2004, 17:32
Or in other french-speaking areas, pronounced pea-seen (or PEE SCENE, which is another appropriate description :p )

Boss Raptor
7th Apr 2004, 18:04
I believe the water changing colour story comes from the days of my youth - 20 years ago - they had just introduced this special additive that could be used in swimming pools to deter 'peeing'...this chemical turned bright red when coming into contact to said stream of pee...didn't seem to catch on, they used it for a short time at my local pool and it was a scream...people were deliberately peeing to make the pool red...so it rather back fired :E

BombayDuck
7th Apr 2004, 21:45
'tis blue litmus they put in. Touches acid, turns red.