PDA

View Full Version : what does this mean?

picodaily
6th Apr 2004, 11:04
HEllo all, i'm new to pprune, i'm from malaysia and i just finished school, i put in my application to be either a AME or a cadet pilot, problem is i'm not sure if i'm colour blind... i had a check up recently and the doctor said that i'm not considered as colour blind, i just have less colour cones in my eyes..

in the 24 plate ishihara, i can see at least 1 or both numbers in that plate, there is barely a few that i had problem seeing...

what do you guys think? i'm applying for the post in Malaysia airlines and they stat that i must be not colour blind in the advertisement. with my eye sight, can i be a pilot/AME?

thanks in advance

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Apr 2004, 19:36
Hi

To be an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) you will need to become a doctor.

To be a pilot you will need to be coloursafe.

The Ishihara plates are used for screening, if you fail them you can usually do some sort of lantern test. Have a look on the colour blind thread on this forum for further information.

FD

picodaily
7th Apr 2004, 05:35
oops, i meant aircarft maintenance engineer

foghorn
7th Apr 2004, 14:27
You mean a LAME then.

AME / LAME - easy mistake to make. Bl**dy acronyms!

As has been said, the Gold Standard of colourblindness is the Holmes Lantern test - I've heard of many people who can't pass Ishihara who have passed the lantern.

Optometrists do not to have the lantern test because it is a very expensive piece of kit so is limited to university research departments and the CAA.