PDA

View Full Version : I Want to Train as a Plumber.

Anthony Carn
6th Apr 2004, 07:04
No, seriously !

Anyone know what I have to do ?

I mean, courses, exams, qualifications (before & after) costs of same etc.

Wanna make loadsa monee ! :E

ORAC
6th Apr 2004, 07:12
Plumbing (http://www.learndirect-futures.co.uk/job_profiles/job_detail.asp?family=11&profileID=274) :p

a is dum
6th Apr 2004, 07:45
I quote from the above article, mentioned by ORAC:

The plumber should:
have a pleasant manner for dealing with customers

Yeah, right!
So how many plumbers have been succesfully trained by this institution? :sad:

Gainesy
6th Apr 2004, 07:52
Anyone know what I have to do ?

Stick pipes together. Its a bonus if the water stays in 'em and the air stays out. Yer can charge extra for such skill.:cool:

DROGNA
6th Apr 2004, 09:10
You can do a two year part time course (one day a week) at a technical college, or in some cases two evenings a week for two years. Assuming you pass the course you will be qualified to "plumb", scratch your head in a confused fashion. However it will take a further two years training to be CORGI registered which means you can work with gas appliances.

Good Luck!

6th Apr 2004, 09:12
Was Princess Anne CORGI registered?:E

Anthony Carn
6th Apr 2004, 09:43
Thanks to all thus far. The ORAC link is very comprehensive, but does indicate that a practical apprenticeship must be secured.

I'm way too old for that, I think.

So................
You can do a two year part time course (one day a week) at a technical college, or in some cases two evenings a week for two years. Assuming you pass the course you will be qualified to "plumb"..........
Does that mean I don't need the apprenticeship ? I.E. can I just do the college thing and then call myself a plumber and seek business from an unsuspecting public ?

DanAir1-11
6th Apr 2004, 09:44
There's a nice little boutique at the Rocks in Sydney that sells specially modified jeans, designed to be ultra low cut in the derriere so that one's botty cleavage is presented quite nicely.
I believe that this particular venue is frequented by gentlemen of the plumbing trade.

maggioneato
6th Apr 2004, 10:01
I don't think I would go so far as to call them gentlemen, and usually plumbers are big fat b*****ds, with not very appealing cleavage. AC think again please, don't know what you look like, but somehow could'nt see you as a plumber. Can't you think of something else.

Gainesy
6th Apr 2004, 10:04
AC,
Have you been watching too many dodgy videos? Plumber rocks up to fix something, lady gets her kit off?...

topcat450
6th Apr 2004, 10:19
Dodgy Video? Gainsey - DODGY?? That sounds like a great video...nothing dodgy about it by the sounds of it. :E

tony draper
6th Apr 2004, 10:32
Don't seem to be much skill involved in Plumbing nowadays, what with DIY compression joints and plastic pipes, one recals as a sprog watching a old time plumber wiping a proper lead joint, the need for lead joint wiping skills and the like are in the past now.
Always spared wipe of doing plumbing, stick to ones own trade I say, until one saw how simple it was.

Gainesy
6th Apr 2004, 10:33
I think Mr Carn had a small part in it. Alledgedly.:suspect:

avoman
6th Apr 2004, 10:42
Anthony, you don't need the exams, the apprenticeship or the qualifications to make money. All of these are useful later however.
Just go to work! If you are value for money word will spread and more work will arrive. One or two of my pals have done just this and they started from where I am, merely a competent DIYer who has put in the occasional sink or WC over the years at home.
There are twenty million households in the UK and the plumbing in all of them is deteriorating. Such an opportunity!

PilotsPal
6th Apr 2004, 11:22
The big money is in the central heating installation/repair/maintenance trade but you would need the gas qualification for that. My present boiler installed 5 or 6 years ago with additional work to the heating/water system cost me 1,900. I paid up without a whimper on the basis one never knows when I might need the man's services again.

If you decide you don't fancy the idea of sorting out other people's bog problems, there's also a dire shortage of plasterers and electricians in the south-east.

And what I wouldn't pay for a new gardener....

Paterbrat
6th Apr 2004, 11:33
AC Bitten by a dog, not sure that it was bone'r' fido Crufts garanteed Corgi, but does that count. As for the other stuff I've got a DIY Bible that I follow with fairly decent results??

Actualy you have touched on something, getting any type of craftsman round these days involves a visit to the bank vault first. As for the boiler replacement I had done recently it bought tears to my eyes and a perceptible dent in the bank balance

DROGNA
6th Apr 2004, 11:56
As far as I understand it you won't need the apprenticeship for the part time course, I don't know how old you are but I wouldn't consider myself too old for it anyway, and I'm 30. The course I looked into is 90% pratical and 10% theory, the beauty of part-time courses is that you can work around them so still maintain some sort of financial security while training.

The big money is in the CORGI stuff, or so I'm told, but you have to pay CORGI an unholy amount each year just to be registered, and now on top of that there's another fee you have to pay for some sort of EU regulation, because Europe doesn't recognise CORGI. Personally I'd stick with working with the bog trolls to start with and then see how it goes before moving on to gas.

Can I just say Mr Carn that I'm impressed at your restraint considering the opportunities you've had to expolit words like pipe, gas, leak and tools?:ok:

tony draper
6th Apr 2004, 12:08
Trouble is plumers carry large dirty tools pipe wrenches and such, they cannot really justify having a posh briefcase type toolcase like wot Drapes has got.
:rolleyes:

Capn Notarious
6th Apr 2004, 14:21
[QUOTE]And what I wouldn't pay for a new gardener....

What happened to the old gardener:is he now pushing up the daisies?

PilotsPal
6th Apr 2004, 15:38
I guess his panic attacks got the better of him! He told me once he couldn't possibly work in the afternoon because that's when he had them and he had to sit quietly in front of the television to make them go away.

But for 4 an hour, he was worth every penny when he did show up.

takenthe5thamendment
6th Apr 2004, 16:33
AC,
I, as a mere woman, have replaced 2 bathroom suites and a dishwasher and washing machine in the last 2 houses I have bought.

It's not that difficult honestly, just need some common sense and a pair of wellies..............I have a basin wrench and me own pipe cutters.:ok:

Wanna be my apprentice? :E

Jeffrey S
6th Apr 2004, 16:41
you must be nuts

I Want to Train as a Plumber

do a course in IT or something more worthwile....

my business does repair to white goods including gas appliances.

the job is very stressful and you meet some very, very rude customers. have worked in IT (MCSE qualified) and wish i was back there!

and if your thinking your going to meet sexy housewifes, think again..

also corgi registration comes with huge responsibilites and costs, customers constantly trying it on claiming for damages ect.

so, my advice is, dont bother!

AeroSpark
6th Apr 2004, 17:20
there's also a dire shortage of electricians in the south-east.

Soon to be even greater if the government get their way with the new building regulations they are trying to push through.:mad:

tony draper
6th Apr 2004, 17:45
Dont panic, come May, we are going to have one hundred thousand fortune tellers coming here, they will be able to sort your white goods before they break down.

:cool:

MaxMet
6th Apr 2004, 18:02
Plumbing good choice

pimlicoplumbers.com

Another high paid trade where there are current home grown shortages is electrician!

I currently work within in the Building Industry all around London and I can tell you that there is work everywhere for all trades and excellent rates are being got by all but the idea of going out without the relevant qualifications is ludicrous.

You are never to old

Max:ok:

Noah Zark.
6th Apr 2004, 18:36
In my (long gone) youth, I started working life as a boghouse mechanic. I soon became tired of the S****y end of the stick, quite literally sometimes, and so went on to pastures new. I often regret not staying with it.
It really is very lucrative work, and you'll never be unemployed.

Anthony Carn
7th Apr 2004, 05:21
Well, thanks, guys & gals.....some very useful info and insights.....much appreciated. :ok:

Very good points suggesting electrician-ing as an alternative ! ;)

Big think needed. :ugh:

maxman
7th Apr 2004, 13:06
A workmates son has just quit his plumbing apprenticeship to go back to work at a travel agents. Something he is going to regret later in life, methinks.
Good luck with it, good tradespeople are pretty hard to find these days.
BTW, apart from the skills, you need to go equiped with a gap in the front teeth, for sucking in air, for the inevitable "Thats not gonna be cheap mate":E

AeroSpark
7th Apr 2004, 17:33
Anthony
If you are thinking of training as a spark, I would in all seriousness wait a while and see what happens with the proposed Part P regulations http://www.niceic.org.uk/nonapproved/partp.html

While in theory its a good idea and is designed to drive cowboys out of our trade the fear is that it will have the exact opposite effect and may end up putting smaller firms/one man bands such as myself out of business completely.:{ Add to this the fact that most people seem quite happy to pay less foe inferior workmanship then the cowboys may become more prevailent than ever:*

Taildragger55
8th Apr 2004, 09:35
A childhood friend took the plumbing route. Recently I heard his neighbours on either side began complaining about the fact that his kids were using all the parking available for their SUVs.
So to avoid unpleasantness he dug into his petty cash and bought both their houses.
Perhaps it was more his innate business skill rather than the trade he adopted, though.
Fair fcuks to him anyway,as they say in county Cork.

DishMan
8th Apr 2004, 11:43
Dear Mr AC

If you are going to choose between Electricity and water working....remember it must be a distinct choice....water and electric don't mix! :} (Believe me, my apprenticeship included working on water cooled very high power radio transmitters. Some well good CRAAACKs have been heard :E )

Other points to remember:

When a blackout occurs 99/100 the electric comes back on no problem.
When water gets cut off, there are always joints dried out and thus start leaking when the water comes on again.

Likewise during long terms of freezing weather most electrical appliances cope admirably.
Water pipes do not. You will be guaranteed endless hours of repair work!:E

Many people will venture into changing a fuse in a fuse box. Very often they will resolve problem without recourse to sparky.

Those that have been daft enough to try and tigthen a slightly damp plumbing joint or thought they would "just plumb in an extra sink in the bedroom" will almost certainly have created a scenario for you to exercise the sharp intake of breath, head shaking posture and say "sorry, but we'll have to shut it of at the mains for a couple of days......" (pleas that that is too long will enable you to raise your hourly rate above the already astronomical level it started out at 'cos you "just might" be able to work late and get it sorted. Believe me, that option will, although expensive, be grabbed thankfully by both hands.

One last thing to bear in mind:

Telling the householder "Do NOT use any toilets/sinks or waste water appliances while I'm working here for the next couple of hours" will, at some time in your career end up with the bodily residue of last nights curry+beer session being flushed all over you. :yuk:

However, when they disregard the "Do not under any circumstances put the electric back on" instruction in order to brew the nice sparky a cup of tea you may well end up being shaken like a thousand terriers simultaneously thrashing you around while someone thumps you across the back of the neck with a baseball bat. This can, apparently, be fatal.

So I would recommend taking the the smelly worst case scenario than the wooden box one. :\

Alty Meter
8th Apr 2004, 11:58
Go for the money.
If you're in the south east being a plumber is as good as having your own banknote printer and you don't have to worry about the Plods raiding you early one morning.
Plumbers charge stratospheric rates and most people haven't got any choice except to pay up.
Somebody mentioned Pimlico Plumbers earlier. My sister in London just used them. They advertise a lot and she hadn't heard of any others. They charged her 80 an hour + vat.
Even self-employed plumbers charge about 250 + vat a day.

Paterbrat
8th Apr 2004, 16:25
Wondered why my boilerman turned up in a Porche, actually by the time he left I knew.

Dishman sounds like you had the non fatal cuppa.:D

bubba zanetti
8th Apr 2004, 20:41
Nonsense Anthony. An electrician is where it is at and all you need to know is I=V/R ... not have as hard as learning that plumbers theorem of "shyte runs downhill" .... oooh gives me a headache maths like that do.

Electricity is cleaner than effluent any day.

AeroSpark
8th Apr 2004, 21:33
Aha! An educated soul! Thank the Lord for Mr Ohm or I would be a plumber.:uhoh:

tony draper
8th Apr 2004, 21:54
Become a electricity plumber then, :rolleyes:

Anyway, nearly all plumber I know call themselves heating engineers now,lead water pipe being a thing of the past.
:rolleyes:

Pinga
9th Apr 2004, 00:52
Nah mate a plumber is the way to go!! Sparkes's don't get to coin it in like the plumbers, it's the mystique of plumbing that lets a plumber charge really what he thinks he can get away with and that's usually a lot! Keep away from the gas until really professional cos if British Gas get involved, they will show you to be a fraud and CORGI will be on you like a ton of bricks to extract money from you because being CORGI registered is mostly a matter of coughing up loads of money for registration and courses!

With a bit of common sense and effort a grand a week is dead easy - wann know how I know? -It'l cost yer!

QNIM
11th Apr 2004, 22:53
Gday
Can I ask a question? Would you spend half your life crawling under floors in dirt and sometimes mud wiping cobwebs and spiders off your head, paddling in someones sewerage and then listening to the wingers when they get the account. Your hands ingrained with dirt and cracked at the joints or more these days covered in pvc glue. My seachange to flying though not anywhere as profitable is a much better lifestyle.
Take it from one who knows.
Cheers Q :O

airship
20th Apr 2004, 12:06
Desperately seeking A. Carn...

Well, did you decide what you will do? Are you up to your (90) elbows in (15mm) copper tubing? Do they still teach you to use hemp or does everyone use PTFE nowadays? Does the phrase "collapsed drain" continue to bring a smile to your colleagues?

(hoping that this may draw our esteemed comrade out...?!) :O

simon brown
21st Apr 2004, 18:26
Unfortunately this demand for the trades is a result of his Tonyness wanting every kid to do a degree in Meeja studies and other pointless Macdonald- entrant-requirement-degrees.(That and Terminal 5) Instead of proper vocational qualifications we are creating a generation of unskilled morons...still his Tonyness can import all those Eastern block immigrants to charge us a fortune to do the job instead...

mini
21st Apr 2004, 18:49
Hey Carnsie,

If I promise to point you in the direction of a trainee friendly plumber will you post again?

PS S**t or get off the pot at this stage...

:ok: