PDA

View Full Version : laptop problem

boofhead
6th Apr 2004, 03:42
My Sony P3 Win XP laptop would not log on to wireless so I tried disabling a protocol in the wireless list (advertising) then I lost the Start bar. All I can get is the Start icon and the clock, nothing else works. If I drag the mouse down to the Start bar it shows an hourglass and the HDD is being accessed, not continuously but often, as if it is defragging, but hours of this and it still does not recover. The Start button will not operate, since the mouse is not normal when it is in that area. All the desktop icons work, and I can access control panel, so I put back the protocol, but no change. I can only shut down manually, and if I open safe mode it works in that mode, but a lot of the normal functions will not work in safe mode. If I try to go back to previous good condition it does not help, still gives me same problem. Does it go further back every time I try it or just to when it thinks it was being good? Can I access the recover function and choose? (I cannot find any way to do it, even using the help files).
I tried other startups from F8 but nothing helps.
I figure I might have to reload windows, but that is not an option on the list. How do I access it? The windows file is not on CD but is part of Hard Drive. Can I reload windows without losing all my files and programs? Would thrwoing it against the wall help? ( I have a feeling that it would help something ).
Any help appreciated...

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Apr 2004, 05:38
boofhead,

If you cannot access even the start button, it sounds like WinXP is corrupted. Could be from a Virus or some other Malware.

If you want to do a repair of your OS, you need the WinXP CD. If you can access the net on that computer and can open Internet Explorer, you should run HouseCall and Ad-Aware in that order to see what all is on your computer.

If you have any data on that computer, I would not use the Restore CD since all your data would be wiped out.

Take Care,

Richard

fobotcso
6th Apr 2004, 06:43
This is a sad little tale! And I'm not sure what there is to be done about it as you don't have a CD to do a Windows over Windows repair.

But here is a situation where it might be useful to be able to use the keyboard.

Firstly, the Windows key (between left Alt and Ctrl) should get you a Start Menu and your programs.

Then, if you can do that, you should be able to find the System Restore in Accessories>System Tools.

If you can do that, maybe - just maybe - you can Restore to a point before Armageddon.

Even in my daily use of PCs, I'm about 50/50 Keyboard/Mouse. It can be so much quicker apart from being a rescue aid.

PS, instead of marking a wall, have you considered a hide-faced mallet or a 4 pound clout hammer?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Apr 2004, 16:50
boofhead,

Just had another thought. With Notebooks they usually put the CD-Key Sticker on the bottom of the Notebook. As long as you have the CD-Key, you can borrow any WinXP CD (Home if you have Home on there or Pro if you have Pro on there).

That will allow you to do the repair, and since Microsoft does not sell you the software, just the licence, you are legal too. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

boofhead
7th Apr 2004, 03:02
Thanks for all the ideas. I tried a lot of them, and eventually got it working by going into safe mode then answering NO, which put me into the recovery program. I was able to select a date when it was last working and now it works OK again. I did notice though that the date was wrong, it had jumped three months, which was probably why it would not go to a suitable recovery date by itself. So I had a double failure to contend with and was lucky to get out of it.
Once again, thanks to all... as usual!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Apr 2004, 05:31
boofhead,

Glad to hear you are back up and running. ;)

Take Care,

Richard