PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new PDA

Fujiflyer
5th Apr 2004, 21:04
Hi all,

I am after any recommendations which anyone is kind enough to give me in respect of PDA's. Primarily I want to be able to attach my existing GPS (via NMEA serial interface) to a PDA so that I can display position against a map database. I shall be using the oziexplorer software ( www.oziexplorer.com ) with it which seems to have a nice interface + allows me to digitise my own maps which is a strong added benefit.

The areas in which I am hoping to get advice are in these areas:

1. I want to choose a PDA which satisfies my objectives without being too costly – I have virtually no experience with them. From what I have seen the iPAQs seem well made,

2. I intend to use my existing GPS receiver (Garmin). From what I know from setting up an early iPAQ (can’t remember the type but it was 2 yrs ago – H1920/40???) with a GPS there should not be a problem, at least the earlier PDA’s could accept RS232 communications),

In spite of (1.) I would prefer to tend on the side of higher cost if it gives me more future flexibility (can add hardware, more software supplied, etc). However I am not sure what features I should ensure I get as opposed to those which may be a bit superfluous.

Thanks,

Fuji (PS: For mapping I used to use J-Flitemap on a Lappy and found the customer support & update costs very poor)