PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Video to DVD

Green Bottle 2
5th Apr 2004, 19:22
I've been thinking about transfering my home video collection onto DVD/Computer. I have had a brief look at the hardware required but would like some advice. I will need a DVD recorder (perhaps sony dual format) and a video capture card. (my video is analogue). Running Win XP/98 on laptop/desktop respectively.

I would also appreciate any practical advice on software packages.

Thanks in anticipation.

GB2:ok:

goates
5th Apr 2004, 19:36
I'm not sure about the rest, but from many reviews I've seen, Plextor and LG DVD burners generally get better write-ups than the Sony ones. The Plextor I think is the fastest on the market right now, but also the most expensive.

There was a thread recently about this I think, so you might want to try looking through some of the recent threads.

goates

Green Bottle 2
5th Apr 2004, 19:47
Goates,

Many thanks for the steer. I'll have a good look next time before I post!

GB2:\

seacue
5th Apr 2004, 20:32
[Wrong-thinker mode ON]

I obviously don't know how much film you want to convert, and whether you are still taking film movies. [How could you afford to?]

You might discover that paying a service to do the conversion is cost-effective if you don't have a lot of film.

[Wrong-thinker mode OFF]

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Apr 2004, 01:52
Green Bottle 2,

The best quality would come from giving the analog tapes to a company that does this sort of work professionally. If you had a Digital Camcorder then I would do the work in the PC since it is already digital.

If you are just looking to play around, then by all means get the editing software from a place like Pinnacle Systems (http://www.pinnaclesys.com/).

Take Care,

Richard

spannersatcx
6th Apr 2004, 09:50
I have a Sony DVD writer, so far can't fault it. It might only be 4 speed, but it still only takes 16 mins to write a DVD.:ok:

Oggin Aviator
7th Apr 2004, 05:45
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way (hardware/software) to transfer DVD to MPEG or AVI?

TIA

Oggin

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Apr 2004, 06:20
Oggin Aviator,

Here is a good guide list with loads of information:

DVDR Help's The Guide, How To, Tutorial and Article list (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/convert.htm)

Take Care,

Richard

warkman
7th Apr 2004, 07:34
I went a different route, I bought a DVD recorder (they are now coming out around £200) and transferred direct from the VHS plater to the DVD recorder.
Now use the dvd recorder instead of the VHS for taping programmes etc..also my Philips has a DV in so I copy from my DV camera direct to the recorder as well.
Dont forget, converting to DVD will not make the final item any better than the VHS copy, as you can only get as good as the origianl recording (without a massive digital studio to work in <g>)