PDA

View Full Version : Instructing ??? IMC or IR ???

topper2
5th Apr 2004, 18:37
I've come to a bit of a dilema...

I'm hoping to complete my CPL & FI course this summer but am not sure whether to do an IMC rating or the full IR.

The main problem with doing the IR is that I'll end up with a larger debt hanging over me whilst earning a very low salary as an instructor. I do eventually want to progress to a job in the airlines, but want to spend a few years at least instructing. (I'm expecting to have the funds to complete the IR in about 2 years when I sell my house).

So my question is: What are the chances of getting an Instructing job around the UK with just an IMC Rating? Has anybody done this or knows anyone who has?

any opinions welcome:confused:

IRRenewal
5th Apr 2004, 20:26
There is absolutely no requirement to have an IR to instruct, unless you want to instruct for the IR.

Clubs will not expect you to have an IR. In fact, some will argue that having an IR wil work against you as it shows you don't really want to be there in the first place.

Enjoy the instructing!

Cheers

Gerard

High Wing Drifter
5th Apr 2004, 21:01
Do a search on the Wannabes forum. I asked the same thing and got some very good responses.

Go see for yourself,
HWD.

Port Strobe
6th Apr 2004, 21:32
My instructor had exactly what you describe when he taught me - CPL with an IMC (obviously an FI helps as well :D ) Bloody good instructor he is too. I'm not exactly in a position to comment about what carries weight when it comes to getting jobs but in my eyes IRRenewal is spot on when he says that to a potential employer someone with an IR is more likely, or certainly more capable of, moving to airlines or wherever when positions become available (do they still employ people in new jobs these days?? :) )

All the best