PDA

View Full Version : A lot of Bullsh*t to rip people off

golden_hands
30th Jun 2001, 11:40
Airport passengers can pay extra tax to combat global warming

Passengers at Luton Airport are being asked to pay a "green tax" to help combat global warming caused by aircraft emissions.

People flying from the airport can contribute 0.2p per mile to help fund a tree planting programme around the town. The trees will soak up carbon dioxide pumped out of planes.

The optional levy works out at around 69p on a flight to Edinburgh and £3.60 for a journey to Tenerife.

Future Forests, the group organising the tree planting, said the scheme was a step forward in cutting greenhouse gases created by airlines.

Chief executive Jonathan Shopley said: "Many people heading off for a summer holiday are probably not aware that they are contributing to global warming.

"This will bring it home to them and enable them to take action. If they pay the extra money trees will be planted that will neutralise the carbon dioxide emissions and leave an environmentally friendly flight."

He said aviation urgently needed to address the problem of global warming.

"Airlines are pumping out around 2% of carbon dioxide emissions, and with the industry growing rapidly we expect their emissions to increase by around 3% each year," he continued.

Dr Mark McLellan, head of environment at the airport, said the three-month scheme would be consumer led.

"Some people are prepared to pay more for organic food, some people pay more for recycled goods and we believe some people will pay more for carbon neutral flights. It is entirely up to passengers to decide if they want to pay, but we believe about half will."

This is a post on the Ananova website. Virtual nonsense!

Squawk 8888
30th Jun 2001, 20:29
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Many people heading off for a summer holiday are probably not aware that they are contributing to global warming.</font>No doubt because they aren't. The greenhouse theory has been so thoroughly debunked over the past few years that the only people who still believe it are politicians and enviro-luddite activists.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Airlines are pumping out around 2% of carbon dioxide emissions, and with the industry growing rapidly we expect their emissions to increase by around 3% each year</font>A drop in the bucket compared to what is exhaled by humans & animals.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Some people are prepared to pay more for organic food,</font>Thanks to the scaremongering campaigns put on by friends of the organic food industry. A classic scam- convince enough well-fed yuppies that modern food production is bad for their health and the environment, then rake in the cash as they pay a premium for products that are even worse for the environment (deforestation, soil depletion, obsolete pesticides that must be used in larger quantities) and ten times as likely to make them ill (e. coli from raw manure dumped on crops).

BTW did you get a chance to see Tampering with Nature on ABC last night? Terrific exposť of the green lobby!

------------------
Per dementia ad astra

pigboat
30th Jun 2001, 21:16
The Supreme Court of Canada has just ruled that municipalities have the right to ban pesticide use in this country, even though they are legal and provincial and federal regulations allow their application. Apparently, some municipalies will allow the application of organic pesticides.
Organic pesticides are, in great measure, nicotine based, and are up to fifteen times more toxic to humans than the malathion they are to replace.
Another fine example of the Supremes removing their collective heads from their collective a***s to hand down a decision with no basis in reality. :rolleyes:

Big Red ' L '
30th Jun 2001, 21:19
So what if you don't want to pay it..?

Squawk 8888
1st Jul 2001, 05:20
Heard about that, pigboat. That's our wonderful government for you- making the world safe for allergens and disease vectors everywhere. So if I catch West Nile or Malaria, can I sue the local council?

------------------
Per dementia ad astra

OzExpat
1st Jul 2001, 11:45
Lemme see if I understand this correctly? This "green" tax is supposed to make each flight environmentally friendly? So, does this mean the engines magically stop producing this 'orrble carbon dioxide stuff as soon as the aircraft is out of the Luton area? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Geez, innt that amaaazing!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

------------------
Dispela olgeta samting i pekpek bilong bulmakau!

golden_hands
1st Jul 2001, 12:02
Well Big Red you'll never get an upgrade and will be banned to the last row forever until you pay!!!! :)

Velvet
1st Jul 2001, 14:27
Well, if the situation in the Balearics worsens, then I don't think people will have to worry about planes spreading pollution - they won't be going anywhere.

However, I'm flying out of Luton on Friday - so I'll be interested in their explanation. I think they'd have done better to state it was to make Luton more attractive - one of the ugliest airports anyhere.

Islander Jock
1st Jul 2001, 16:24
I might suggest that although the notion of a green tax seems a little far fetched at the moment, do not be overconfident that it, or something similar will not happen.

After all, it wasn't so long ago that the suggestion of a noise tax to compensate those who brought houses under the approach to YSSY was first mooted.

Velvet
1st Jul 2001, 16:55
Oh no, Islander Jock, ssssssshhhhh :)

golden_hands
1st Jul 2001, 18:43
Maybe they can use the noise tax to demolish those houses and move the noise sensitive weasels somewhere else. Somewhere in the Sahara nice and quiet and lovely weather!