PDA

View Full Version : european employment

Homer_J
5th Apr 2004, 16:32
I may be well off mark, so feel free to tell me Im wrong.

One of David Blunketts reasons for liking immigration is that it fills a shortfall in the UK workforce. And under EU law you should be able to work in the EU, as members of the EU can work in the UK.

almost everyday when Im flying I hear(particularly Easy and ryan), foreign accents on the radio. Australian, american, french, dutch etc.

There is an European company I work very closely with, and recently 10 of there fos and captns left, mostly to go and work for easyjet.

They hired 8 new fos, all with about 200hrs. I wasnt even given a "get lost" letter, because (from the chief pilots lips)im not from there country(even though they have employed for other European countrys), even though, i already know all the crew, there procedures and have 1100hrs, mostly on twins.

I seem to remember another thread where someone was complaining because he was given a cold reception when he came to look for a flying job in this country. Yet, if he has the hours, he probably will get a job.

I'm simply looking for the next step up on the ladder, and when(and if) i get that next job, then someone will replace me, and, to quote the lion king, the circle of life(or flying jobs) will continue.

I just think it is unfair that if europeans can get jobs over here, but were not allowed to work in the EU.

i just think its British work policy gone mad.

Thank you to listening to my rant.

Loony_Pilot
8th Apr 2004, 01:34
I agree entirely...

I dont have any problem with anyone working here... I just want a level playing field.
I don't begrudge anybody a job.. dont get me wrong, but I feel that I am unfairly disadvantaged by the way things currently stand.
I also know that people will respond with "learn another language".. yes .. true.. but the global language of aviation is English (whether officially or not) and by definition pilots will be fairly fluent in english...

juventus
8th Apr 2004, 03:20
What are you talking about,there are thousand of british pilots working everywhere around the globe!!

Arrowhead
8th Apr 2004, 09:48
... except France

redsnail
8th Apr 2004, 10:26
Yep, the main language in the air is english. However, when you're on the ground and talking to the refueller, to ops, to crewing, it most certainly isn't.
I was recently on a course. 8 of us were there. There was only 1 Englishman amongst the group. There was a Kiwi, Aussie, a Frenchman, a Portuguese bloke, a Dutchman and 2 Germans. The only people that spoke one language was the ones with the Anglo-Saxon heritage. Personally, I was embarrassed about my lack of foreign language skills.
It is expected that foreign types who come to Britain should learn English. Why can't the European folk expect British/American/Australian to learn the language of that land?
If you don't have language skills, you'd better have something else that they want to make up for that shortfall.
It is harsh world out there. Even being fluent in a language doesn't make it easy to live in a foreign land.
If you have an EU passport then you can work and live where you like. If part of that means you should have a knowledge of another language then so be it.

Roberto
8th Apr 2004, 10:33
Resnail, thought you spoke two language's Australian, and English.

:O :O :O :O

redsnail
8th Apr 2004, 11:08
I do mate,
It's "Strine" and English :ok:

(I learnt German at school, a couple of semesters of Japanese at the local TAFE college. I've picked up a few words of French as well.)

FougaMagister
8th Apr 2004, 12:39
Totally agree with Redsnail - it's mainly a LANGUAGE issue (but then again I'm biased since I'm foreign).

You guys ever heard of freedom of movement within the EU? You cannot legally restrict some Continental guy/gal's right to apply for jobs in the UK (not counting the Irish, since they all seem to work for Ryanair) - no more than you can do it the other way around.

Oh, and by the way, another good reason is that there simply aren't any flying jobs around in Germany/France/Belgium/Scandinavia etc. at the moment. :sad:

Cheers

scroggs
8th Apr 2004, 14:11
You don't want to hear Reddo's French. Actually, her English translation may just be worse!

Seriously, she's right. You want to work in Europe, you will have to be able to make yourself understood on the ground to all the various agencies that never get near a flight deck. To them, the language of aviation is the one they were born into. Only the pilots are required to know and use English, and then only in the air.

As for "I just think it is unfair that if europeans can get jobs over here, but were not allowed to work in the EU", I'm sorry, but that's bollocks! There are many, many British pilots working all over the world. There are fewer perhaps in Europe, but that's simply down to the language thing.

The answer's in your own hands...

Scroggs

AIRWAY
8th Apr 2004, 18:47
Portugese bloke

Reddo Gidday,

"Portugese" with a "u" = Portuguese :p :O

Regards,
Airway
(Half "Portugese" ) :}

PS - Going back to the topic, Reddo is right, language ( Apart from English ) being a barrier.

redsnail
8th Apr 2004, 22:04
Oops. Please accepty my apologies for that. Sorry.
:O

AIRWAY
8th Apr 2004, 22:19
No Worries, no need to apologise :}

You can help me with my learning of the "Australian Language"... :O :} :ok: