PDA

View Full Version : Anybody need a large drill?

under_exposed
5th Apr 2004, 12:55
check out ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3284949854&category=413)

a is dum
5th Apr 2004, 12:57
What is the postage charge? It's not mentioned! :eek:

Aileron Roll
5th Apr 2004, 13:01
Could be worth buying, to drill another tunnel to send the illegal's back to France

Big Tudor
5th Apr 2004, 14:01
Return not accepted.
No sh!t Sherlock.

Forgive me a senior moment here, but I seem to recall both the drills that did the tunnelling were left buried under the Channel!

ck4707
5th Apr 2004, 14:05
Although no longer fully operational

10 million quid for a drill that doesn't work!

Makes those from B&Q look a bargin.

AerBabe
5th Apr 2004, 14:56
Mr Carn... are you ok? Why haven't you posted to say "No, but I need a good screw"?

IB4138
5th Apr 2004, 14:57
Didn't they use a similar device when extending the tube under Heathrow?
Seem to recall it made part of the airport collapse!
Shame it wasn't terminal 1.

I also thought one of the tunnelling machines from Tranche Manche was on display on the French side somewhere to the side of Citie Europe. Didn't only one drill commit suicide and burrow itself into the floor, so they could get the other out?

Anthony Carn
5th Apr 2004, 16:03
Sorry, AerBabe, but some of us have had extremely eventful, stressful and car-broken-down-on-the-motorway-with-no-hard-shoulder days, today ! :*

As for this thread, is'nt it boring ? :confused:

AerBabe
5th Apr 2004, 16:35
Aww, Mr Carn... poor you *hug*
Yes, I agree, there's nothing in this thread.

The Nr Fairy
5th Apr 2004, 17:03
Ah, just the thing. I've spent this afternoon digging out some bindweed so far down I think that's my tool of choice for tomorrow !

fishtits
5th Apr 2004, 17:17
Is that awl?...

Still, 179 bids....:uhoh:

Catt
5th Apr 2004, 18:41
Big Tudor

As far as I've heard they built four. One is now a roundabout in France, two are buried in the channel, leaving the fourth for the twits on Ebay. :rolleyes:

curmudgeon
5th Apr 2004, 19:22
I hate to be a pedant (his nose suddenly starts to grow) but with one tunnel each way, and a service tunnel in the middle, and starting from both ends, that makes 6.

Should we form a proon digging squad to nip into the tunnels and try to extract one of the buried ones? If we flogged that for 5 million quid we should make a tidy profit, and still have enough left over for Danny's next server upgrade.

cur

MMEMatty
5th Apr 2004, 19:43
Dunno about the TBM but matt's uncle was one of the team that built it. Remember as a wee nipper waiting for him to come home and tell me stories about how they built it. even got a lump of chalk from below the english channel! beat that!

Matty

IB4138
5th Apr 2004, 19:48
Was it French chalk or English chalk?

It really does matter, as the French could accuse you of removing a natural relic from it's home land, without permission?

Good job UK never built a tunnel to Greece! :eek:

MMEMatty
5th Apr 2004, 20:03
IB4138: If we're being pedantic, i don't hink its chalk at all, its like chalk, but is gray and with fools gold in it. Perhaps a geologist could clarify, but i believe its called Gray Marle or something. Anyway, its from slightly closer to england than france :uhoh:

Matty