PDA

View Full Version : We all love a tale of Political Correctness on a Monday. Don't we?

SpinSpinSugar
5th Apr 2004, 10:56
Sorry, thought I'd share my angst with you all as I read this over my morning cuppa. Whatever next.

FOOTBALL is facing a new pitch invasion by the politically correct. Fresh from censoring the results of heavy defeats, officials plan to protect junior players from the trauma of losing by resetting the score to 0-0 at half-time and allowing the weaker team to field two extra players.

Click here for the Times Online story (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1062078,00.html)

No, this wasn't a story from April the first!

Cheers,

SSS

Aileron Roll
5th Apr 2004, 10:59
You have got to be joking.......

eal401
5th Apr 2004, 11:10
This is utterly ludicrous.

The PC brigade needs to be rounded up, put on a remote island and nuked out of existance.

Dead_Heading
5th Apr 2004, 11:45
I was hoping this was a wind up, but looking at the date..... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

maggioneato
5th Apr 2004, 11:50
What has happened to our once great country. We must be the laughing stock of the world. :(

topcat450
5th Apr 2004, 11:57
I wouldn't have believed it unless I'd seen it myself! Whats our country coming to!?

sirwa69
5th Apr 2004, 12:22
Could someone cut and paste the story as some of us cannot reach the Times online site without shelling ou 90 smackers.

On On

Slow-Rider
5th Apr 2004, 12:38
Never mind the "trauma of losing", how worthless would winning be with two extra players on you're team! (assuming you win that is!)

DuckDodgers
5th Apr 2004, 12:49
Who cares it's soccer!!!!

topcat450
5th Apr 2004, 12:54
What about the upset and traumer which could be caused by training all season, working hard, practising night after night, and on the day of reckoning, winning at half time and then having the scores re-set and the opposition given extra players and possibly winning.

Hmmm yeah, great lesson to teach kids, work hard and do well and someone will pull the rug from under you. Don't do as well and again it doesn't matter as someone will give you a helping hand up the ladder. :*

Evening Star
5th Apr 2004, 13:01
Reported in a newspaper, so it must be true. Honestly, do not be so naive. Everybody is falling over themselves to bemoan this story without even questioning whether it is really true. Come on folks, this was written by journalists for pity's sake. You know, people who cannot write a single word about anything beyond their (alcohol soaked) horizon without fcuking it up. And you are believing it hook, line and sinker. Get a grip.

SpinSpinSugar
5th Apr 2004, 13:16
Sirwa69, as below.

I forget the mod rules on posting large blocks of text, so can't guarentee this'll be here for long!

--------------------

Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1062078,00.html)

April 04, 2004

School strikers to get red card for scoring goals

Joanne Robertson and Maurice Chittenden

FOOTBALL is facing a new pitch invasion by the politically correct. Fresh from censoring the results of heavy defeats, officials plan to protect junior players from the trauma of losing by resetting the score to 0-0 at half-time and allowing the weaker team to field two extra players.

Under new rules for school matches, children in Edinburgh will kick off next season safe in the knowledge that if they are five goals behind at half-time the score will be cancelled.

The introduction of rules that could set nine children against seven in seven-a-side matches in Edinburgh, follow last week’s row when a local paper in Derbyshire wrote about the 29-0 “trouncing” of a junior team, although the local league says no defeat of more than 14-0 should be reported.

Critics claim that by “moving the goalposts”, officials are taking the competitive element out of the game. The new rules will apply throughout Scotland by 2005 and under-12 tournaments will be encouraged to remove all trophies.

The rules, introduced after trials in North Lanarkshire, are being supported by the Scottish Football Association. But they have been criticised by parents’ groups and professional players who claim that they will teach children that winning is wrong.

“This is not reality. We live in a competitive world and children need to learn how to deal with competition, winning and losing,” said Alan Smith, president of the Scottish School Board Association.

It is part of a wider policy of rule-changing by officials who claim they are carrying out the wishes of Uefa, the sport’s European governing body.

In the West Midlands an under-nines team, the Sedgley Scorpions, had to spend £2,000 on new kit last season after the local football association decided their logo — “Stuff em, tank em, ammer em” — was offensive. A Labour activist had complained. The printer said he thought the words were Latin.

Last week’s row was sparked when the Sheffield and district junior Sunday league, which claims to be the biggest in Europe with 13,000 players in 600 teams, clashed with the Derbyshire Times after the paper carried a report of a 29-0 “complete trouncing” of one team.

A 32-0 rout handed out to the same team in a return fixture has gone unreported because of the league’s rule forbidding publicity over any defeat of more than 14-0.

Mike Basford, the league’s vice-chairman, said last week: “We do not wish untruths to be published, simply that the feelings of all the children be taken into account. It should be remembered that for every goal scored by a child within our league a child concedes, and for every victory there is a defeat.”

Kelly Simmons, the Football Association’s head of development, said: “The Sheffield league has made its own rule on this, but the idea fits into our ethos of focusing on junior players having fun and not putting emphasis on the result.”

Aileron Roll
5th Apr 2004, 14:22
Reminds of of my mate who is a Prison guard, cannot call them Prisoners anymore, must address them as Mr Whatever, and refer to them as Residents !

Kolibear
5th Apr 2004, 14:34
Its a brilliant idea. But to be totally fair to all player, it must be applied to all ages and at all levels.

It could make FA Cup Finals quite interesting:ok:

Davaar
5th Apr 2004, 18:29
It's nothing new. Moscow Dynamo fielded 12 players against Glasgow Rangers at Hampden Park in 1946 or '47. When someone caught on and the referee blew the whistle for a count, the Muscovites all ran off the field into the dressing rooms.

TURIN
5th Apr 2004, 19:14
Duck Dodgers

Please. It is Association Football. If you are going to take the p1zz, then please get the name correct.

I thankyou:ok:

ratsarrse
5th Apr 2004, 22:09
great lesson to teach kids, work hard and do well and someone will pull the rug from under you

Yep, sounds like a pretty reasonable thing to teach kids to me. I was always told that if you're reasonably intelligent and you are prepared to work hard to can achieve almost anything. What a load of bollocks that turned out to be!

CoodaShooda
5th Apr 2004, 23:50
Nothing new here.

Our local basketball comp was forced to stop keeping score in Under 10 and younger matches a couple of years ago. Apparently there is a Commonwealth law in Australia that prohibits competitiveness in junior sports.

Of course, the kids don't understand that it has been decreed that they shall not be brought up in a competitive manner until they turn the magic age of 10.

They just want to know who won. :rolleyes:

Jerricho
5th Apr 2004, 23:50
Did you hear they were thinking about the same rules in Formula One?

Oh hang on, they did! (And still didn't work!)