PDA

View Full Version : More flight advice required...

AerBabe
5th Apr 2004, 10:50
Sorry, but you were all so helpful with cheap suggestions for Canada that I'm coming back for more!
I want to get up to Southport for Easter, but don't really fancy the drive. Flying from Gatwick to Manchester is easiest, but Heathrow & Liverpool are options. Cheapest I've found so far is 64.40 LHR to MAN with BMI, and that was checking on lastminute, opodo, ebookers & airline network.
Anyone know of other places to check?

BlueEagle
5th Apr 2004, 10:56
Probably cheaper to book Eazyjet LGW-AMS-MAN or LPL, no kidding!

ck4707
5th Apr 2004, 11:53
LCY dep 11:00 arrive LPL 12:00 Thusrday 47 with VLM

AerBabe
5th Apr 2004, 12:05
Sorry - should have said I can't go Thurs as I have to work. So will be travelling up on Friday & back on Monday.
Looked at VLM & it's 188 return. :ooh:

under_exposed
5th Apr 2004, 12:50
Would the train not be an option? Do not know where you are starting from but Gatwick-stockport has some direct services.

AerBabe
5th Apr 2004, 13:21
Would love to take the train, but it's 93 each way from Epsom (the easiest station for me).

under_exposed
5th Apr 2004, 13:29
thetrainline.com has epsom-stockport as 56.60 for a saver return (Friday is a bank holiday so no restrictions).

AerBabe
5th Apr 2004, 13:47
Blydi British Rail Enquiries. :{
Thanks, Under-Exposed.

AerBabe
5th Apr 2004, 17:39
Erm... it's SOUTHport, not STOCKport. :p

chiglet
5th Apr 2004, 17:47
Only 49 miles apart:ok:
wayp.iktch

Bre901
5th Apr 2004, 17:53
AB

The Deutsche Bahn has a very good timetable service, I use it for French trains.

Looks like it is working for UK (http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?ld=41&seqnr=3&ident=kc.02520149.1081183729&REQ0HafasScrollDir=2) too (no pricing though)

AerBabe
5th Apr 2004, 17:54
I don't know if it's just me, but I can't seem to get any sensible train times for the outward journey. If I ask for a post-9am departure, it gives me a 8pm train that goes overnight. :confused:

Noah Zark.
5th Apr 2004, 19:56
AB,
That sounds about right for our railway system!

Rollingthunder
5th Apr 2004, 20:00
Try this site.

http://www.dracos.co.uk/railway/timetable/

It works better than National Rail but I can't work out a trip for less than GBP50+ one-way - St. Pancras - Southport.

Keef
6th Apr 2004, 01:25
You can borrow my Senior Citizen Railcard if you like...

set55
6th Apr 2004, 01:55
is there no ezy luton to lpool anymore
apart from suggesting a break in dublin en-route im sorry ...:ugh:

AerBabe
6th Apr 2004, 08:34
Thanks for all the suggestions - the problem with getting a flight from anywhere is getting to the airport. Once I've paid for parking I may as well just take the train.

I have found an earlier train from London-Southport, which is about 55 return. Just hope it's not jam-packed with screaming kids visiting their families.

under_exposed
6th Apr 2004, 08:49
Oops sorry about that.
Think you may be able to get an epsom - SOUTHPORT saver for 65.70.
If you are fast at changing you can do:

depart epsom 6:48
arrive London Victoria 7:38, depart London St. Pancras 8:00
arrive Manchester Piccadilly 11:16, depart 11:22
Arrive southport 11:27

There is a similar train each hour.

ChrisVJ
6th Apr 2004, 09:03
If you can do Victoria to St Pancras in 22 mins, platform to platform you should write to the Guiness book thing.

answer=42
6th Apr 2004, 09:22
There's a lot of engineering work on the UK railway over Easter. The computer timetables should take this into account.

AerBabe
6th Apr 2004, 12:15
Strange... when I search times on thetrainline.com without logging in, I find them. When I log in to buy... it comes up with an error. :mad: :{

And I can't seem to get through to the point where they actually give you a contact number to phone, even though the error page says that what I should do!!!

AerBabe
6th Apr 2004, 13:26
Anyone know how I can get to Heathrow for 6am on Friday without paying a fortune? :rolleyes:

answer=42
6th Apr 2004, 13:39
Doing a little research, there is split operation St Pancras - Luton/ Luton - Manchester for 2 days over Easter (don't know which ones). The usual route from Euston via the West Coast Main Line is shut for engineering.

The computer might be boggling over the complexity of this.

EPSOM STATION 07:18 Train SOUTH WEST TRAINS LTD.
WIMBLEDON STATION 07:35 07:53 Train THAMESLINK RAIL LTD.
KINGS CROSS THAMESLINK 08:35 08:35 Foot
LONDON ST PANCRAS 09:00 09:00 Train MIDLAND MAIN LINE
MANCHESTER PICCADILLY 12:16
DURATION: 4:58

Coconuts
6th Apr 2004, 13:54
Would threads like these not be more appropriate on the 'Pax & SLF' forum? Much as I'm enthralled with certain people's travel plans and what they have for breakfast I don't think JB is the place for asking people about flight plans. I feel that there are more appropriate areas of the forum set up for this purpose where one can gain a wealth of information from other helpful & knowledgable without clogging up JB with it IMHO. :rolleyes:

Regards

Coco

Bre901
6th Apr 2004, 14:00
Coco

you're sounding like a grumpy old man :*
For a second, I thought I had a split personality :p

Anthony Carn
6th Apr 2004, 16:45
The idea, Coconuts, is to hover in the wings until an opportunity arises to be annoying/take the p!$$/divert the thread/confuse the issue/cause an argument/necessitate Moderator intervention/drop in a ghastly groaner of a pun etc etc etc.

On other Fora, one has to behave oneself and I do more than enough of that at work than is good for my blood pressure.

I am beginning to wonder if this is being used by some Prooners as a Southport version of Mornington Crescent. :rolleyes:

Taildragger55
6th Apr 2004, 17:09
Aerbabe,
just pray that Misses SG or Bluediamond don't start giving any help
Before you know it you will be up to your neck in camels and truffle chefs

Chaffers
6th Apr 2004, 17:48
Oh Begorrah! To be sure, there was one time I actually went on an airplane. Would you believe it? A real live airplane that flew! Beejaysus.

Begorrah, what an experience, I'll just write 1500 words describing it to you all, to be sure, you'll all be interested.

You won't believe this, but the person I sat next to was also doing a poxy college course.

Sweet Mary I talked for hours about my course, she was so interested she nodded all the time, to be sure. Then we talked about our holidays, and, would you believe it, to be sure, she had been abroad once too! Well, I told her all about the three places I had been in my life, to be sure, she was obviously rivetted. Beejaysus I talked for hours until we landed, in Heathrow mind you.

Beejaysus Heathrow was big, I'd better describe my hilarious experience with the customs desk as I doubt any of you have ever been through a customs desk before, to be sure. Only us Oirish peasants can tell completely mundane stories without boring you all to death, to be sure. Not that we'd notice if we did, beejaysus.

Anyway this customs desk..........

:rolleyes:

Techchick
6th Apr 2004, 18:44
Now then, Coco, you should know better than anyone about clogging up JB..............

Coconuts
6th Apr 2004, 21:33
I'm sorry BRE if you feel like that

I've been biting my tongue on this for a while. In my up & coming trip to Norway I only posted queries on my trip when someone else started a thread on it even though I was in desperate need of help on the matter for a while, most of my queries are answered in private by a very helpful gentleman of a PPRuNer so as not to let it take over here.

Any flight queries I have, which amounted to one query I have actually placed in the Pax & SLF forum which is what the forum is intended for & I got excellent feedback. I do feel it is courteous to other PPRuNers to place threads in the appropriate forums rather than ones where they can grab the most attention & notice.

BTW Anthony, I enjoy reading your posts & I hope everything turned out well for you with your neighbour :)

Regards

Coco

fishtits
7th Apr 2004, 13:17
Spot on Chaffers :cool: