View Full Version : IOT pay rate

Large Dave
5th Apr 2004, 09:03
So I can ensure than my future car is definitely more extravagant than I can afford, can someone please tell me the net monthly pay at IOT, or some idea of where I can find it out? Is it £200 for messing throughout, or only whilst at CHOM?
Of course, I'm planning to tie myself into an expensive finance deal so that when I get re-branched on "Fighter Control Friday", the air force can shaft me for all I'm worth. Excellent.

Dave

(edited due to poor UK secondary education system)

srv
5th Apr 2004, 09:21
Dave,
Your take home at IOT is dependent on whether or not you have a degree. If I remember rightly, annual pay is about 18k for a grad and 12k for a non-grad - though i am open to correction!
(of course that goes up a fair bit upon graduation from iot).
As for purchasing a suitably extravagant motor, if the whispers regarding tues at linton are correct I may well have just the wagon for you. I'll sell you it a very reasonable price, just so long as you promise to drop me off at the job centre on your way past.
All the best mate.

Large Dave
5th Apr 2004, 11:09
I think it is roughly 18K for graduates, but does anyone know what your actual disposable is after tax and messing etc. ?

Antelope
5th Apr 2004, 11:53
Somewhere between ten and thirteen hundred disposable if I remember correctly give or take. I think the average was about eleven.

Ant

Mr C Hinecap
5th Apr 2004, 14:49
If you have that much left, then you aren't putting the effort in! Or you are some sort of Prince of Darkness. Or you're always out in the car park polishing some toy that you'll just sell as soon as you:
a. Graduate & get a pay rise.
b. Wait until you get yer Flying Pay & go mad then.

Either way - the best thing to get would be something large enough to live out of for 6 months!:ok:

wiki
5th Apr 2004, 17:35
You get paid far too much

Antelope
5th Apr 2004, 19:53
I mean thats after tax, accom, food but before beer, dept etc.

The Beakster
6th Apr 2004, 06:47
I was a non grad and got about £670 in the bank each month; the guys on my flight who were grads took home about £1,150. An average mess bill was about £150, depending on the stage of the course, how much you drank and so on. Upon graduating, my take home pay went to about £1000 and the graduates pay to about £1,400. Remeber, flying pay will be an extra £5,000 (ish) per year when they finally give it to you.

Spacer
6th Apr 2004, 19:30
Yep, average GDE take home pay (after mess bills and everything) is probably about £900. Or so a little birdie told me :)

Large Dave
7th Apr 2004, 01:54
Great. Thanks alot for the help guys.

Antelope
7th Apr 2004, 12:22
Are you sure DE isn't £900 and GDE more? I checked my payslips and I got about £1000-£1100 as a GDE through IOT.

Ant

RobinXe
7th Apr 2004, 13:12
I hope £900 is DE! I don't mind the grad getting more, but I'm banking more than £670 working as a temp!!

Spacer
7th Apr 2004, 19:28
£900 is after you factor in a mess bill, etc. You probably get £1100 after tax etc. Both of these are for GDE.

RobinXe
7th Apr 2004, 20:01
Yeah, how about non-grad DE?

STANDTO
9th Apr 2004, 10:14
back in 1987, I worked out that I was effectively being paid fifty pence an hour through IOT.

Best advice for a vehicle would have to be a camper van. Night before block inspections, sleep in it, therefore able to present an immaculately pressed bed for the DS:D

Aynayda Pizaqvick
10th Apr 2004, 13:08
I went through Cranwitz just over a year ago and from memory a non grad DE (like myself) was banking £750 a month. Expect a mess bill of about £150 a month unless you're either...

a) a social reject
b) a raging alcoholic
c) a female (why do we let them get away with bar bills of only £10 a month!)

If you're a non grad then get used to being shafted - a grad student will get about £6000 year more than you for the next 5 years or so (Yes, i'm bitter)! Oh, and don't count on getting your flying pay anytime soon. You wont get it now until you've passed your OCU - if you get fast jets your looking at around 5 years at present!

STANDTO
10th Apr 2004, 17:55
Even way back then, the grad/DE issue on pay riled me. It was just one more thing to have to worry about. That extra money takes the pressure off no end durng Cranditz.

Extra pay once graduated - no problem. During IOT, we are all equal (or at least should be!)

woowoo
10th Apr 2004, 19:17
Hi there,

I cant speak for OC's but for SO's the current monthly income is pretty much bang on £1000 a month and average mess bill £125-£250 (depending on the stage of the course.

One tip: Sot out your tax code before going so that your not paying emergency tax for 6 months!

Hope that helps. The figures are up to date as I only just graduated last week with the mighty dolphins (C Sqn)

Woo Woo

WSOPWannabe1
10th Apr 2004, 19:22
While on the subject of pay, does anybody know how much NCA get on a monthly basis, during NCAITC??? WW1.